2011: FIA Unveils Radical plans

The highlights
Engine efficiency

Limit engine power by imposing a maximum energy flow rate. There will be few restrictions on the engine cycle, which can include turbo-charging and energy recovery. This could lead to a gain of at least 20% in thermal efficiency.

Drag

Allow moving aerodynamic devices, which will reduce drag by more than 50% and allow a 40% reduction in the power required to maintain current speeds.

Energy recovery

Energy will be recovered during braking and returned to both front and rear axles when accelerating. The amount of energy returned on each straight will be limited in order to prevent top speeds exceeding circuit safety criteria.

Fuel

The total amount of fuel energy to be consumed during a race will be regulated, encouraging further overall efficiency. The CO2 emitted will be further reduced by the introduction of gasoline which is partly derived from sustainable, non-food bio sources but complies fully with pump fuel legislation.

Overtaking

New aerodynamic rules will halve the downforce, and de-sensitise the car to the influence of the wake of the car ahead. It is also proposed to eliminate automatically the downforce deficit of the following car.

Regulations

The best estimates of what these measures will mean in terms of regulations are currently as follows:
? 1.3-1.5 litre, 4-cylinder engine;
? no RPM or boost limit;
? energy flow rate to generate 300kW, including energy recovery from the exhaust;
? 200kW brake energy recovery, front and rear axle;
? 400-600kJ energy return per straight;
? pump-legal bio-fuel;
? FIA specified and supplied undertray and possibly other aerodynamic components;
? 50% 2007 downforce;
? adjustable, regulated wings and cooling;
? automatic downforce adjustment when following another car;
? lap times and top speeds maintained at 2009 levels;
? over 50% reduction in fuel consumed.

Costs

A number of measures to constrain costs are proposed, including:
? standardisation of components (including wheels, brakes, brake ducts and uprights);
? homologation of components and assemblies;
? material restrictions;
? extended life of assemblies;
? restrictions on personnel and work at races;
? restrictions on the use of certain facilities (eg wind tunnels).

My god I love some these ideas like the moveable aerodynamics and such but the energy savings rubbish is rather stupid. I think Just say. 1.3-1.5 liter 6cy with no limitations, that way true advancements can be made.

That way you'll end up where F1 was 20 years ago!

1.5 litre, 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder Turbo's.......

Yeah bring it on baby!

I like the idea of getting rid of the rev limit. That would allow teams to push the boundaries a lot more.

Of course, this is F1 and in a years time all those ideas will change unless Max decides that its final!!

Yes, in the 1950s there were the Ferrari 500 TR, 857 S, 860 Monza, 625 LM and 500 TRC which all featured a Lampredi I4 in various sizes (multiply typenumber by 4 to get an approximation in cc) and in 1954 and 1955 the 553 F1 and 555 F1 featured the same Lampredi I4. Those are to my knowledge the only fourbangers made by Ferrari.

Trouble is the FIA will make sure we don't end up with 1200hp monsters like there were in the 80's. Especially with this movable aerodynamic stuff, which is rubbish in my opinion. F1 needs less aero not more. Sorry but they are spouting this road car link, whereas a large proportion of F1 budgets are spent on aero which has next to nothing to do with road cars.

These FIA releases are always good for amusement - you just know that very little of it is going to come to fruition. They're kinda like magazine photoshops that look nothing like the final product.

It'll be interesting see how many of these actually go into effect come 2011. The 4 cyclinder engines are a joke.

Four cylinder engines...sounds interesting, I think. By "no boost limit", does that mean turbos? :)

These FIA releases are always good for amusement - you just know that very little of it is going to come to fruition. They're kinda like magazine photoshops that look nothing like the final product.

I'm sure Max Mosely has said in the past that he doesn't intend for half of his proposals to ever make it through, and the reason that the FIA do propose such radical ideas is to provide a means for negotiation.

I can't believe this...Four cylinders? Hopeless....

I'm sure Max Mosely has said in the past that he doesn't intend for half of his proposals to ever make it through, and the reason that the FIA do propose such radical ideas is to provide a means for negotiation.

Yeah, he had said that - but even so some of the proposals they come up just make them look like clowns.

What it really needs is...

...Turbo jet cars

i cant believe the number of people complaining about the 4 cylinder engines. Has everyone forgotten about the turbo era?

i think the biggest bs about this whole plan is the movable aerodynamics....sounds like a dumb idea that would cost teams a substantial amount of money.

Trying to get some good amount of horsepower from 4 cylinders is gonna be hard....i think these new engines will have to be revved up to about 21,000 rpm.....wow, the noise will be UNBELIEVABLE!

Hey, Mitsubishi can get 400HP from a race-derived but street-legal four cylinder. I have no doubt that F1 engineers will be able to get amazing amounts of power of those things. After all, they only need to last a couple of races.

Trying to get some good amount of horsepower from 4 cylinders is gonna be hard....
What? Is the Turbo era of F1 (From the Renault's genesis in 1977 to 1988, the last season with the turbo engines) forgotten already? :cry:

The most powerful (And possibly least reliable) engine ever in an F1 GP car was a four cylinder. The peak was at the Mexican GP in 1986, when the BMW M13 Turbo engine in the Benetton B186 produced 1300 hp in qualifying.

BenettonB186.jpg

BenettonB186m.jpg