Walter R?hrl, driving god, does the Ring in 7:31 in the new GT2!!

:bow: First time out on pikes peak ever he set a record, it took Ari Vatenen (spelling?) 3 years to beat his time by 1/10th of a second.

I never understood why the Turbo is 4wd but the more powerful GT2s are always rwd?

:bow: First time out on pikes peak ever he set a record, it took Ari Vatenen (spelling?) 3 years to beat his time by 1/10th of a second.

I never understood why the Turbo is 4wd but the more powerful GT2s are always rwd?

Vatanen :) Probably because the Turbo is bought by posers but the GT2/3 is bought by people that knows how to handle such a beast.... maybe...;)

4WD tends to understeer at limit??

For those of you who always wondered the differences, I suggest playing Forza on the XBox. It's a very good racing game with unbelievable graphics and physics engine. There is a BIG difference between Turbo and GT2/3!

because a well sorted chassi on with sticky rubber on grippy tarmac simply deosn't need it, and awd adds alot of weight and complexity to the car. Possibly worse of all though it tampers with the godsmacking steering feel of the 911, so its kinda out of the question for enthusiasts

Last edited:

When the GT2 was introduced during the 993 generation, "the GT2 is best described as the race variant of the Turbo. For weight saving reasons the 4WD was deleted."

Walter R?hrl = bloody legend. What a beast of a car, phenomenal!

7:31 is 3 seconds slower than himself in a Carrera GT and a bit over 13 seconds slower than the Dankervoot which i think is the fastest production car unless you want to count the radicals

wikipedia said:
7:18 - Donkervoort D8 RS, 370 PS/670 kg, Michael Duchting (sport auto 12/04)
7:28 - Porsche Carrera GT, 612 PS/1475 kg, Walter Rohrl, (Autobild 07/04)
7.32 - Porsche Carrera GT (Sport Auto Trophy, driven by Horst von Saurma)
7.32 - Porsche 997 GT2 2008 (Motor Authority)

interesting that they have the 2008 997 GT2 listed as 7:32 from autobild which had used Mr. Rohrl for their GT test. I wonder if that is a misprint?

^ His laptimes faster than 7:32 were never really confirmed, and Porsche thought that the GT2 can beat the 7:32...

But the Donkervoort D8 RS was modified, the GT2 was 100% stock with normal tires, so for me it is the fastest.

I'm willing to accept different tires as long as they aren't trying to claim the performance numbers of race only slicks to road legal tires.

This is the Donkervoort that they set the record with, the one you can buy is below.
Differences: Track car 350hp, road car 270hp. Track car hard top and huge spoilers, road car none of the above..

2369-1.jpg

3.jpg

yeah thats no production car.

That's impressive. I wouldn't compare these toys like the Radical and Doonkykong to a relatively normal car like the GT2 (in terms of size and weight).

I'll maintain though that the Nordschleife is the worst track in the world to read anything into time comparisons on.

Driving experience, yes. Maximizes car differences whilst minimizing the influence of all other factors? No way.