Walter R?hrl, driving god, does the Ring in 7:31 in the new GT2!!

For those of you who always wondered the differences, I suggest playing Forza on the XBox. It's a very good racing game with unbelievable graphics and physics engine. There is a BIG difference between Turbo and GT2/3!

Yes. Both are rubbish.. (in the game that is. they obviously rock irl!)

I'll maintain though that the Nordschleife is the worst track in the world to read anything into time comparisons on.

I disagree completely.
The german Mag Sport Auto does Nordschleife laptimes in their so called Super Test and for the last 10 years they have been done by the same guy.
Also he elaborates over a couple of pages why he thinks the car achieved that time and why it is limited to that time.

It has to be said that he is usually 3 or 4 secs slower than R?hrl, though... Probably Sabine pace...

The thought of the GT2 around the 'ring is frightening, let alone it getting around in 7:31. Walter, you ARE the man.

Walter has no children....and is quite possibly the greatest driver to ever walk the earth. Don't forget that he is now 60....60!!! Yet has lost none of his pace.

"540 horsebrakes"

What was the fastest Ring time again?

wasnt it set by the BMW M3 GTR?

but then again, thats a race car... as far as F1 is concern, its around 6min or so.

i think Nick Heidfeld broke that record, he got like a 5min 58 or something like that, again.. in an BMW : )

^^ Dude. Not true. Nick did a Promo run with shit tires and a pretty short gearbox ratio... Was somewhere in the 8: something because he also slowed down for Photo Ops and stuff... Check the according thread.

^Donkervort

^^ Dude. Not true. Nick did a Promo run with shit tires and a pretty short gearbox ratio... Was somewhere in the 8: something because he also slowed down for Photo Ops and stuff... Check the according thread.

^Donkervort

he did the combination of nordschelife and the GP track together, take the time off and you will get something like 6min flat.. actually 5:58. Thats the time just for Nordschleife.

ahh... there found it

Unofficial Lap Record

On 28 April 2007, Nick Heidfeld drove a BMW Sauber F1.06 Formula One car around the Nordschleife, on a BMW publicity day. Heidfeld drove at the combined Nordschleife and short GP-track, giving a track length of 24,433 km (so comparison with older records is difficult). Although the official lap time released by BMW Sauber was declared to be 8:34, some fans around the track timed his fastest lap at 7:29. Road & Track magazine reported Heidfeld's lap was a 5:57 or 5:58 (for the Nordschleife only), breaking the track's six-minute barrier for the first time in history.[1] However, their times were done by measuring the speed in some corners, and then calculating a laptime, and not timing a full lap. A montage of onboard camera gives a better estimate of 6 minutes 52 seconds, viewable on youtube.

Get off. It was set by a plastic racer thingy.. Cant remember the name atm

6:49 - BMW M3-GTR (race version), 480 PS/1100kg, Hans-Joachim Stuck
6:55 - Radical SR8, 360 PS/650 kg, Michael Vergers (28 Sep 2005)
7:12 - Radical SR3 Turbo, 320 PS/500 kg (test drive 07/03)
7:14 - Donkervoort D8 RS, 398 PS/760 kg, Michael Duchting (sport auto 11/05)
7:15 - Edo Porsche 996 GT2 RS, 542 PS/1284 kg, de:patrick Simon (sport auto 09/05)

correct me if i am wrong, i havnt slept for 25 hours already, so i cant even think of anything properly, not to mention laptimes : (

The fastest ever laptime of the ring is 6:11 done by Stefan Bellof in a Rothmans Porsche 956 during qualifying for the 1983 N?rburgring 1000km in the Group C sportscar Championship.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqFrqLBcCGk[/youtube]

Anyway, 7:31 in the 997 GT2 is pretty impressive, considering the driver is 60 years old, allthough he is poerhaps the most experienced of the ring drivers. It's not this fastest lap of the 'ring thoug, as that is 6:28 in the Carrera GT (The 6:32 is the official time done by Horst von Saurma for the Sport Auto Supertest)

The fastest ever laptime of the ring is 6:11 done by Stefan Bellof in a Rothmans Porsche 956 during qualifying for the 1983 N?rburgring 1000km in the Group C sportscar Championship.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqFrqLBcCGk[/youtube]

Anyway, 7:31 in the 997 GT2 is pretty impressive, considering the driver is 60 years old, allthough he is poerhaps the most experienced of the ring drivers. It's not this fastest lap of the 'ring thoug, as that is 6:28 in the Carrera GT (The 6:32 is the official time done by Horst von Saurma for the Sport Auto Supertest)

yup, thats it.. couldnt remember the bloke's name, he set both the fastest time for qualifying and race. But i still rekon a modern F1 with full slicks can shorten that time by around 10 sec or so. Given the track condition is ideal and the car is performing 100%

yup, thats it.. couldnt remember the bloke's name, he set both the fastest time for qualifying and race. But i still rekon a modern F1 with full slicks can shorten that time by around 10 sec or so. Given the track condition is ideal and the car is performing 100%
I'd love to see someone run a 2004 spec F1 car on the ring. Those things are still the fastest on a track.

no they are not. those group C sportscars and the like are the fastest on a track. formula one cars have great grip and acceleration, but their wind resistance is incredibly awful. group Cs reach a lot higher top speeds while at the same time maintaining equally high speeds round corners and under acceleration.

especially with the long straights and bumps on the ring, sportscars have the advantage over F1 cars.

thats also the reason why the ring is a great track for comparisons. its not one of those flat F1 courses, the ring demands a lot more suspension and handling wise, but also has steep climbs and long straights that demand power. i'd suspect that on other tracks the carrera gt would be faster than the GT2. the ring shows just what an incredible car the GT2 is that it can keep up with the absolute supercars.

please take into consideration, that the rings length has changed during the years, because they changed and rebuilt the gp course layout.....

please take into consideration, that the rings length has changed during the years, because they changed and rebuilt the gp course layout.....
The Nordschleife in isolation hasn't changed much though. The Nurburgring 1000 km in the Group C sportscar championship was only on the Nordschleife. And most timed laps, like those in the Sport Auto Supertest are also done on just the Nordscheife. As far as I know, only the Nurburgring 24 hours is run on the full course including the GP circuit.

Something just crossed my mind; maybe Walter is the Stigs father...:shock:
Saying Rohrl is the Stig's father would imply that the Stig was born, and I think that having to crawl out of a vagina would be unbecoming of a man of the Stig's abilities. However, it wouldn't be out of the question to think that Rohrl simply spoke; and the Stig was created; fully grown, helmet and all.

And yeah, 7:31 in a damn street car, Walter Rohrl: you sir are the man :bow:.