Guess That Car game - By Clues Only

I'm looking for a car that was being designed to compete in rallying, but never went to because it turned out to be uncompetitive against the Audi Quattro. I never said it didn't compete in other racing series.

Hmmm....I have heard rumours about the 190E (and associated models) was being designed for rallying but withdrew after the Quattro was so competitive. I can't think of any other manafacturer that was scared off. Citroen entered the XM, Renault had the 5 Turbo, Peugot 205 T16, Ford RS200, Lancia Delta S4. Will do some more thinking......

I have only ever heard that rumour on Top Gear......not sure how true it is :p do you have another source? Would like to read more if there is.....after the SLC Mercedes were planning to build a mid engined 4wd monster so not sure where the 190E comes in to it!!! ok....my turn.

1. My engine was shared with the MG Metro

2. I was such a flop that 10 years after production ceased, I could still be bought new.

Fairly easy I think but we will see

My sources are various websites on the 190E Cosworth. Mercedes wanted to compete with the 190E in a high-profile racing series to attract buyers, because it was Mercedes' first attempt at the market of small family saloons. They were mostly targeting Opel, Ford and BMW drivers. These brands were very successful in motorsports. Back in those days rallying was the most high-profile motorsport platform for streetcar-derived racing cars. But with the advent of the Audi Quattro everything in rallying changed, and Mercedes knew that the 190E would not be competitive against the Quattro, so they decided to adapt the by then almost finished engine and car to touring car racing. And it excelled there.

Austin Allegro?

Nope not the Austin Allegro......

My sources are various websites on the 190E Cosworth. Mercedes wanted to compete with the 190E in a high-profile racing series to attract buyers, because it was Mercedes' first attempt at the market of small family saloons. They were mostly targeting Opel, Ford and BMW drivers. These brands were very successful in motorsports. Back in those days rallying was the most high-profile motorsport platform for streetcar-derived racing cars. But with the advent of the Audi Quattro everything in rallying changed, and Mercedes knew that the 190E would not be competitive against the Quattro, so they decided to adapt the by then almost finished engine and car to touring car racing. And it excelled there.

That's just fantastic! Never knew this story...

Well done Fuel. Those clues were a little ambiguous....the next clues would have made it very easy. Your go!!

That's just fantastic! Never knew this story...

Neither did i until i went looking for info on the car to find clues. And it's a good thing that they went for touringcar races and not rallying, because touringcars required a homologation run with the same engine as the race car, whereas rallying just required it to be based on a a roadgoing car. So we actually have Audi to thank for one of the greatest Mercs ever :p

But I still don't understand this. Mercedes pulled out of rallying in 1981, this was well before the 190E no?? So they must have been planning to enter Group A, and by that time 4wd's dominance was well established that it should not have surprised them in the least that the 190E would be uncompetitive.

The 190E was introduced in 1983, and the Cossie was too. So that's not that much after 1981, and meant that development had been underway since at least 1981, maybe even earlier. To me this says that the plan to take the 190 to motorsports were made at an early stage of the 190's development, and that the introduction of the Audi Quattro (it started competing in 1981, but wasn't really consistent in it's wins until 1982) came right in the middle of the development.

I'm taking the next one

1.This car re-defined its sector when it was launched
2.This is the first car of the manufacturer to feature fuel injection

Yeh I thought my knowledge might be lacking a bit, I thought the 190E was late 80's.

Would have loved to see the Cosworth on the tarmac events. The M3 Evo II is one of my favourite cars ever.

As for the clues.....the Mercedes 300SL gullwing??

No, but right country though. (excuse the bad grammar and sentence structure)

I honestly would have said The corvette or 300SL, but if neither of those are correct, my next guess would have to bee the...

Porsche 914.