Colin McRae's helicopter crashes [UPDATE: Colin killed, RIP]

Rest in Peace Colin.

The good die first.
~William Wordsworth~

R.I.P. Colin, and condolences to all the relatives who have had to suffer this tragedy

1189920218840.jpg

:cry:

I couldnt belive this when I saw it :( Somehow I always fellt about rallydrivers, that they can not die. Well unfortunatly.. :( RIP

What a tragedy :cry:

He was one of the greatest.

Rest in peace Colin and the rest who lost their life.
We will always remember you.

My thoughts are with his family.

So sad.
I feel for his wife most. To lose a husband is terrible but to lose a child aswell is a double tragedy.
Too many great Scottish racers dying in helicopters for my liking: Steve Hislop & now Colin...

Its funny, i want down to the shops this morning and bought this months copy of Motor magazine and in the rally section one of the sidebars read:

Former World Champion Colin McRae is interested in a drive in the WRC in 2008. The 39 yo has not driven a WRC car since his last outing with Citroen in Turkey in 2006.

I guess now we'll never know. Again RIP mate. Say hi to Burnsie and Possum for me

R.I.P. Colin and condolences to everybody who died in this terrible accident:cry:
Two years ago Burns and now McRae... They both died so young

RIP Colin, hopefully there's a really good rally track up there where you can race Richard Burns :cry:

SubaruJump2.jpg

R.I.P. :cry:

I can't imagine the sheer magnitude of sadness the McRae family is going through right now. It is a huge tragedy for them, and the family of the other victims as well.

And it of course is a huge loss for rallying world as well. Colin was one of the true characters in the sport. And certainly, especially if measured by sheer natural speed, one of the greatest drivers of all time as well. His spectacular style perhaps kept him from gaining more success in terms of rally victories and world championships than he did, but it also made him a crowd favourite ever since his days in British Rally Championship and even more so in the world stage. Never a man to have a boring day, the amount of amusing and almost unbelieveavable stories from his career is about as long as the list of rallies he participated in.

An especially fond memory I have is him, quite literally, rolling his way into the know of many finnish rally fans in 1992 1000 Lakes Rally. On his first visit to the finnish forests he proceeded to make two quite spectacular rolls in his Subaru Legacy, in total flipping the car seven times, and despite that cheerfully bringing the battered and bruised car to 8th place finish. Unsurprisingly, Finland was never one of Colin's favourite events.

But the impact on world rallying is not only a loss of a great driver. Colin was, largely thanks to the succesful series of rally games and participation in non-WRC events like X-Games, by far the best known rally driver around the world. For many, he was WRC personified.

Rest in peace Colin, and thanks for the memories