I can import what now?

For those unaware - an MOT is an inspection carried out by an authorised garage (by the government) on your vehicle 3 years or older to ensure that it is safe. I try to time it with the Service if possible. Seems to keep most un-roadwory cars off the highway. I pay about 55 GBP I think, garages compete for ones custom as you usually get the remedial work done there - this normally includes a free retest.

/Edit - the test is pretty strict on safety and emissions and you can get details of the tests that any car you are interested in buying have had by using this link.
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/html/home.html

Which is handy.

Last edited:
Yeah, but how would Americans react to a US version of MOT? All the homeless folks by default would have to walk or take the bus. :lol:

It's not a federal thing but many states have it. Missouri has a Bi-annual test for instance. California has a lot of junk on the road, out here it's fairly uncommon to see something that has a 1.5 foot hole in the rear fender driving down the road.

KaJuN said:
Yet I see lots of cars everyday that, even from just looking at them, I can tell they're unsafe. Broken headlights, obviously ruined suspension, badly dented, rusted, missing turn signals, tail lights, ect. But their owners can get away with it because the government, who is obviously very concerned with safety as we're discussing, doesn't bother to inspect cars already on the road for just such a thing.
:lmao:
Celica002.JPG

That's my car. Thank you Kansas, for not giving a shit. Missouri is considerably more strict (like thedguy mentioned, they actually have inspections); my car would've failed hard in MO. Then again it's pretty easy to get your hands on an inspection sticker ...without actually getting an inspection ;).

It's not a federal thing but many states have it. Missouri has a Bi-annual test for instance. California has a lot of junk on the road, out here it's fairly uncommon to see something that has a 1.5 foot hole in the rear fender driving down the road.

Yeah, but depending on the state, all you have to do to pass is have no busted headlights and tailights, working seatbelts, and thats it. Even if you have enough duct tape holding your car together that would make Red Green orgasm at the sight of it, and a hood with enough "speed holes."

Hell, I wouldn't mind some federal standards on what states can allow and what they can't. We even have a cute little term for them here on Maui: "Maui Cruisers." So long as theirs a roof and the engine still has 1 HP left, run'em!!

Our government makes so much sense it scares me. They won't let us import cars because they don't think they are safe enough. Yet I see lots of cars everyday that, even from just looking at them, I can tell they're unsafe. Broken headlights, obviously ruined suspension, badly dented, rusted, missing turn signals, tail lights, ect. But their owners can get away with it because the government, who is obviously very concerned with safety as we're discussing, doesn't bother to inspect cars already on the road for just such a thing. o_O

Yup. I found it funny that my truck passed inspection. It's running the wrong sized wheels that allow the bald tires to rub the frame, thanks to a damaged spring and no shock absorbers in the rear, and it still passed.

I did had to buy a fuel filler cap though. :lol:

we only have emissions, and not state wide, only in some counties. the emissions place will sometimes tell you to fix something however, and refuse to test your car if it looks unsafe or if you're leaking a lot of fluids, but not because they really care, but because they don't want to be held liable for something going wrong on the dyno.

Yeah, but depending on the state, all you have to do to pass is have no busted headlights and tailights, working seatbelts, and thats it. Even if you have enough duct tape holding your car together that would make Red Green orgasm at the sight of it, and a hood with enough "speed holes."

Hell, I wouldn't mind some federal standards on what states can allow and what they can't. We even have a cute little term for them here on Maui: "Maui Cruisers." So long as theirs a roof and the engine still has 1 HP left, run'em!!

Well technically EPA all covers that somewhat. The problem is, most state run agencies don't care to check the federal stuff. For instance, it's federal offense to remove any smog equipment, but if I pull the cat off my car, replace it with a test pipe and run the safety check (which does check emissions equipment) here in MO they won't care.

I just hate the fact that I'm not allowed to buy/own/import/use a product which the gub'ment decided is unsafe. I don't mind that the car would still require DOT legal headlights/tail lights (as that stuff affects other drivers), but my car not having an airbag only has an affect on me.

As I've said before "Land of the Free, MY ASS!"

I think that falls under the same principle as seat belts. It'll be a government paid employee responsible for scrapping you off the road with a shovel, should you crash and burn.

I'm just amazed motorcycles are still legal. You'd think some stuck up pretentious organization would've unleashed the rabid lawyers on sportbikes by now.

:lmao:
Celica002.JPG

That's my car. Thank you Kansas, for not giving a shit. Missouri is considerably more strict (like thedguy mentioned, they actually have inspections); my car would've failed hard in MO. Then again it's pretty easy to get your hands on an inspection sticker ...without actually getting an inspection ;).
Sweet ride puts my old banger to shame. Especiall like the front nearside (oops sorry I am from RHD land), offside wing - a classic of aerodynamics.

I don't understand why it was illegal to import those cars when they were new, but now that they're a few years old it's perfectly ok to do it. :? Does time magically add stars onto the safety rating? I smell some fishy politics at work here.

Yup. I found it funny that my truck passed inspection. It's running the wrong sized wheels that allow the bald tires to rub the frame, thanks to a damaged spring and no shock absorbers in the rear, and it still passed.

I did had to buy a fuel filler cap though. :lol:
Our government just keeps making more and more sense doesn't it? Your truck didn't fail the inspection because it was found to be unsafe, it failed because that filler cap might pollute. Here in Ohio they did away with emissions checks in several counties so that basically counteracts the benefits of your new filler cap.

I'm just amazed motorcycles are still legal. You'd think some stuck up pretentious organization would've unleashed the rabid lawyers on sportbikes by now.
They can have my motorcycle if they can pry it out of my cold, dead hands and from between my cold, dead legs.

I think that falls under the same principle as seat belts. It'll be a government paid employee responsible for scrapping you off the road with a shovel, should you crash and burn.

The only reason they're still legal is because many riders ARE lawyers. A Harley is a status symbol in many legal circles.

I don't understand why it was illegal to import those cars when they were new, but now that they're a few years old it's perfectly ok to do it. :? Does time magically add stars onto the safety rating? I smell some fishy politics at work here.

You can blame Mercedes Benz for that one. They saw a number of people importing new Benzes to the US and undercutting MBUSA, so they lobbied the US government for these regs to protect their US profits.

Some guy used to import the Benz G Wagon's. He made a killing, Benz saw it and started importing them themselves. Guy got fucked.

That's the way it should have been handled. The government didn't need to get involved and put the profits of a company before the rights of it's citizens. Capitalism my regio glutealis. :mad:

there are two sides to everything, where's the anger at the companies making these cars and then not bothering to bring them here?

I always thought our strict import regs were to protect domestic companies, hence the age rule. the cars are old enough that nobody cares.

there are two sides to everything, where's the anger at the companies making these cars and then not bothering to bring them here?

I always thought our strict import regs were to protect domestic companies, hence the age rule. the cars are old enough that nobody cares.

Not quite. M-B coached it to the government in safety terms, claiming that M-Bs built for other markets could possibly be much less safe, etc., etc.

Importing cars to the US has nothing to do with protecting Ford, GM, or Chrysler. If you want to sell a model in the US, you'll pay for the crash testing and emissions certs. The Big Three have to pay that on every model made here or in Canada or Mexico just like everyone else.

So, what we got out of this was a 25 year rolling exemption because it was "assumed" that anything more than 25 years old would be an antique and no threat to anyone's current sales. And, well, it was presented as "antiques and classics are no harm to anyone as they won't be imported in any numbers" to pacify the classic/antique collectors (who do have a certain amount of pull) while chopping off the gray market importers at the knees. Now it costs $100,000 to $750,000 to certify a new/recent car model for mass importation into the US (assuming it doesn't meet the "substantially similar" clause and that it meets all the other regs - such as OBD-II, etc., etc.) PLUS you have to sacrifice at least three of the particular car for crash testing AND you have to submit another three for emissions testing on top of that.

The R34 won't be coming in for mass sale legally any time soon because it doesn't have OBD-II diagnostics (which actually was kind of dumb on Nissan's part) - which is required on US market cars of that era.

That's the way it should have been handled. The government didn't need to get involved and put the profits of a company before the rights of it's citizens. Capitalism my regio glutealis. :mad:

Except Mercedes did it by getting this stupid import regulation passed on grounds of "safety". It took Mercedes ***15*** more years to start selling G-wagons in the US on their own. In the meantime, G-wagens (W460/W461s) continued to be imported, but at great additional cost because they HAD actually been run through the US cert process by independents, and the cheapest one of THOSE you could find was $135K - of which maybe $5K was profit, $30K was the truck, and $100K was the importation stupidity.

FYI, M-B got the "casual importation" policy and thus much of the gray market killed in 1987; M-B was happy for a while until they realized that people REALLY wanted the G-wagen here. They started official sales of it here in 2002 for $75,000. And they did it by buying out the only people to successfully complete all the requirements to sell them here: http://www.gwagen.com/

Check out their history section to see just what they had to do to get them into the US:

"In October 1993 Europa completed its five-year, $500,000 U.S. certification program, including destructive and non-destructive vehicle testing, becoming the exclusive U.S. importer and distributor for the luxurious, second generation Gelaendewagen..."

"In 1997 Europa began development and testing for the next generation G.Wagen, the powerful G500. In 1999 after nearly two-years and over $1 million invested, Europa gained U.S. Small Volume Manufacturer status for the Gwagen, finally making it a 50-state legal vehicle..."

"With the 2002 model year, and after purchasing the U.S. distribution rights for the Gelaendewagen from Europa, Mercedes-Benz began selling the G500 through its U.S. dealer network. Europa G-WAGEN LLC continues to maintain and support the 2001 and earlier model Gelaendewagens and remains the source for pre-owned vehicles, spare parts, accessories and technical expertise."

Here is a link to a reprint of the actual 1984 Time article that caught M-B's eye and got the ball rolling on the crackdown: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,923836,00.html

And the article itself:

A Gray Market in Luxury Cars
Monday, Dec. 17, 1984
Americans used to buy expensive cars at bargain prices in Europe and then ship them back to the U.S. But that practice declined in the late 1970s, when the slumping dollar drove up the price of a Mercedes-Benz, Porsche or BMW. The dollar is back, and so are the car importers.

This year as many as 50,000 automobiles will be brought into the U.S. privately, a twelvefold increase in three years. Herbert Singer, a Munich car dealer, claims that half his sales are exported to the U.S. Says he: "I could sell five cars a day to Americans if I had the right color." The savings can be big, even after the $8,000 or so is paid to ship a car from West Germany and adapt it to U.S. safety and emission standards. Example: a Mercedes 500 SEL, when bought from an authorized dealer in the U.S., is about $52,000. The same model bought in West Germany and imported by a U.S. buyer goes for some $40,000 after the extra charges. American auto dealers sometimes refuse to service a modified car or take one in trade. But as long as that huge price difference exists, the freelance importers will continue buying abroad.

Last edited:
Especially like the front nearside (oops sorry I am from RHD land), offside wing - a classic of aerodynamics.
Fail-Wheel-Drive understeer + telephone pole = custom body work :lol:. I probably drove the car for 4-5 months like that though, then I finally got bored one day and pulled out the fender and replaced the turn signals :p.

I also fail to see the logic behind barring certain new cars from the US. The volume of cars coming here is very small, and saying it's a safety issue is a crock as we're allowed to do far worse crap than drive a "dangerous" car. If they were serious about safety I'd be walking everywhere :lol:.

I also fail to see the logic behind barring certain new cars from the US. The volume of cars coming here is very small, and saying it's a safety issue is a crock as we're allowed to do far worse crap than drive a "dangerous" car. If they were serious about safety I'd be walking everywhere :lol:.

Hot Coffee anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Award

The original safety laws were written by the big 3 (mostly Ford IIRC). The main reason was to make european/japanese designs require changes for the market. The main thing they did was use Standard rather than Metric measurements. The problem the big 3 had was underestimating how important of a market the US was to them.

C53A_4G63T said:
Some guy used to import the Benz G Wagon's. He made a killing, Benz saw it and started importing them themselves. Guy got fucked.

Just about any Benz in the 80's. The problem Benz had was they couldn't keep up with demand (were artificial inflating prices I'm sure), and would introduce models, like the SLC's later than the Euro market. Grey Market importers satisfied that demand.

Hot Coffee anyone?
Could a driver sue a manufacturer for his car being "unsafe"? Especially after he bought and imported said car to the US of his own free will?

Anybody whose ever seen the results of a crash-test of mid 90s Chevy 1500 or Ford F150 should easily be able to smell bullshit on all the "safety" none-sense.