Shooting at NIU

teletubby-warrior

Da Superfan
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23171567

DEKALB, Ill. - A gunman opened fire in a lecture hall on the campus of Northern Illinois University, and more than a dozen people were reported injured.

WBBM in Chicago reported that a man with a shotgun began shooting in a lecture hall, and the (DeKalb) Daily Chronicle reported that police said on a scanner that the man had a shotgun and a pistol.

Hospitals in the area were told to expect up to 15 injured people.

The university issued an alert at 3:20 p.m. CT telling students to avoid Kings Common and buildings in that area. A spokeswoman confirmed that the shooting occurred.

The university was locked down, and students reportedly were calling from the library.

The Daily Chronicle reporteed that at least two people are reported down in DuSable Hall, and one person had blood on the back of the head, according to eyewitness reports. It could not be confirmed if it was from a gunshot.

Police have established a perimeter around Cole Hall, and 15-20 emergency vehicles were in the area.

This breaking story will be updated.
I've called all my friends there and thankfully, they're alright.

This is just unbelievable...

I have no words other than I hope that the gunman doesn't kill himself, hopefully they catch him and fry him in the chair!

Too good for him.

he would of lasted less than a week in jail

My thoughts and prayers to the injured and their fellow students.

Damn. What is going on, a new trend?
I hope nobody is seriously hurt.

And just why aren't students allowed some means of self-defense?

That could mean so many different things (allowing them to carry guns, mandatory self-defense lessons upon matriculation, etc.) but, the main thing is people are dead and our thoughts should be with their loved ones.

Shit. What the fuck is wrong with people? I worry for the day when we're going to need metal detectors to get into lecture halls and when kids are compelled to pack heat to physics labs. :cry:

Condolences to the families of those killed, God knows the parents aren't paying all that money for this...

Very upsetting to hear that innocent people have been killed and injured in such a barbaric way, my thoughts are with the families who have to come to terms with what has happened.

Bad, bad, bad...a lot of people I work with live in DeKalb, it is shocking to say the least.

DeKalb is a medium sized city plopped in the middle of an ocean of corn fields. I for one would never think something like that would happen of all places, there.

My brother not only attends NIU, but was in the class/auditorium of the shooting. I've been at the Kishwaukee hospital all afternoon/evening, definitely not a fun place to be. My brother was lucky, but his good buddy sitting next to him got hit in the back of the head and in the side, puncturing a lung. He's in stable condition though, and being airlifted to a hospital in Rockford (only one neurosurgeon at Kishwaukee) with my bro at his side. Probably the scariest day of my life.

My brother not only attends NIU, but was in the class/auditorium of the shooting. I've been at the Kishwaukee hospital all afternoon/evening, definitely not a fun place to be. My brother was lucky, but his good buddy sitting next to him got hit in the back of the head and in the side, puncturing a lung. He's in stable condition though, and being airlifted to a hospital in Rockford (only one neurosurgeon at Kishwaukee) with my bro at his side. Probably the scariest day of my life.

Wow. :blink: I hope his friend gets better soon, can't imagine what it's like to survive such a thing. :comfort:

Your brother's friend is in good hands now, I'm sure he'll pull through. Thank god your brother's alright. This shooting hits way too close to home, doesn't it? :(

Wow. :blink: I hope his friend gets better soon, can't imagine what it's like to survive such a thing. :comfort:

Your brother's friend is in good hands now, I'm sure he'll pull through. Thank god your brother's alright. This shooting hits way too close to home, doesn't it? :(

We were waiting in a counseling room they had set up for victims' family/friends for quite a while just to get confirmation that he was checked into the hospital, let alone his condition. With the privacy laws and confidentiality and what not, legally they couldn't give info on his condition without telling the family, which was 2 hours away. My brother's persistence and concern was noticed by one of the staff members, and she was nice enough to check and let us know he was stable. I appreciate the support guys.