Ownership Verified: Dirty Diesel, Bought Dirt Cheap - 2008 M57 X5

Update from workshop: Still unable to find anything out of the ordinary in terms of emissions from the car. However they’ve continued to ignore the water leak(?!), and just keep adding water to it. So while it does get to operating temperature, if they keep trying to push it, it just loses more and more.

The guy literally said it was the bleed screw not tightened up, so not sure why they didn’t just do it and move on? Especially given they refitted the charge pipe… He asked if I wanted to fix the leak myself... Like I'd turn up to their workshop with a screwdriver and tighten the thing myself, then walk out again... Actually I probably should have done that, just because it's so fucking ridiculous.

So I’ve asked them to do that, and if I don’t hear from them again today, they’ll keep it for the weekend and call on Monday.

EDIT: I did not hear from them again today, so it's staying on an extended sleepover.

Last edited:
The X5 is back in my posession!
4DA2B46A-CB26-478C-9D5B-9A55DD0157A5.jpeg

It no longer leaks water due to the loose fitting, and they could not replicate the smoking.

However on the drive home, it happened again, while a workmate was following me.
Mechanic thinks it's an injector issue, as it seems to be unburnt fuel on deceleration.

Nothing is throwing any codes, power output and delivery are fine, so he recommends keeping an eye on it and just running it for now, keeping him updated if anything changes.

I’ll drop the water out tomorrow and replace it with the coolant I bought last week.
I’ll also grab a new glow plug module shortly.

Last edited:
18455A18-1299-4161-87ED-A0FC0FBFD5FE.jpeg

So, that looks like fun…

Already have a tracking number for replacement parts. Wasn’t broken (or dirty) when I handed it to the mechanic, but they only put 10km on it…
Water has been replaced by coolant, though it didn't take the advertised 10.5L, so I'll gradually keep adding more and flushing some out until it gets the full dose of pre-mixed stuff I bought.

The LED DRLs are hooked up (not 100% done), but they're working, and so for the first time in a couple of months, it will be going back into daily use from tonight.

Last edited:
Found a friend while out and about…
F8B5F44C-14A5-4856-B00A-6AA603834D18.jpeg

Arrived back at the same time as the owner of the other one. His is also a 2008 3.0d. He said he was jealous of mine being clean, and having nice black plastic trim. Also, he blamed his wife for the broken reflectors.

I know it’s the angle here, but it’s funny that for absolutely identical cars, mine looks smaller..

My first reaction was you found a friend who was also missing a rear plate. :LOL:

Yours is the one on the right, right? The upgraded tail lights are a definite improvement. You're also not missing the rear badge, a crime against vehicular decency.

Yep.
The carpark to this store is hidden away, and only locals know it even exists, so when I saw the empty spot next to the other one, I knew immediately where I needed to park, despite not being closer to the store entry.
Also, normally I'd back in...

The rear badge would irritate me more than any of the things he was complaining about. But I suppose they're an easy target for bored school kids. I remember the bonnet emblem on the W114 was snapped off a couple of times while parked.
Even my workmate's Z3 has had centre caps pulled off the wheels. (Considering the price he was given by BMW to replace them, it's no wonder)

I think it's very unlikely that I'll park next to a matching car with the three I have now, even the Freelander is a unique enough spec that you just don't see around very much.

But I suppose they're an easy target for bored school kids. I remember the bonnet emblem on the W114 was snapped off a couple of times while parked.
Even my workmate's Z3 has had centre caps pulled off the wheels. (Considering the price he was given by BMW to replace them, it's no wonder)

Could be worse, could be an old VW.

1670627903603.png

VW actually turned it into an advert.
Side note - the hole in the scan of that advert really irritates me as it would be a really simple fix in Photoshop or even Paint, FFS.

Went for a run yesterday, car performed perfectly in all ways that mattered.
Checked codes when I arrived and had one for the AC, but in clearing it, and then checking again on my return home several hours later, it did not reoccur.
I had also dumped 1/3 bottle of injector cleaner into the fuel tank prior to departure. Didn't notice any smoking issues.

Bad camera phone pics (need to get the lens replaced).
0EE02F9D-04C2-4848-B605-9CE2AC6A4D21.jpeg

1DF96C44-92D1-4343-B77A-86660E99D83E.jpeg

D314A59E-AED6-43B9-9AAE-CE1BCFA263E0.jpeg

Oh look, off-roading in mah SUV🤣
6553B16A-575D-4FBD-983E-9E6C30364A1B.jpeg

Last edited:
FE58493A-B81B-4C34-948E-49BD33F2D5EF.jpeg

Replaced the broken cup holder cover today. Have to break two plastic pieces out, but it’s not loose, and still works as intended.

Need some double sided tape to fix that silver trim down properly. I also have stick on faux-carbon fibre trim for the peeling centre console on order.
Cleaned out the cup holders that someone had spilled coffee or chocolate in, and not being able to see the junk in there is much better.

Last edited:
Cleaned out or now the cover works? :D

Both.
I guess 14 years of sunlight had made the sliding cover brittle, and it finally split last week. So while I had the console trim out and was working in there, I used the opportunity to clean the crud out as well.

@Matt2000, you jinxed me. Last night while getting Dad's wheelchair out of the car at home, I noticed that the rear badge was a bit loose. The glue or tape or whatever they were using, has let go in a few places. So today I pulled it off, cleaned up the back of the badge, the surface it attaches to, used some Sikaflex to reattach it, and a little masking tape to hold it on until it cures.

Last edited:
@Matt2000, you jinxed me. Last night while getting Dad's wheelchair out of the car at home, I noticed that the rear badge was a bit loose. The glue or tape or whatever they were using, has let go in a few places. So today I pulled it off, cleaned up the back of the badge, the surface it attaches to, used some Sikaflex to reattach it, and a little masking tape to hold it on until it cures.
I can have that effect. :p

I was wondering if it would be the Aussie summer melting the glue, but your weather doesn't seem to be too hot at the moment. :dunno:

The barge has recently developed a knocking noise in the RHF suspension. A brief visual inspection shows nothing of concern, but I'll get it looked at by someone more qualified tomorrow, and order parts accordingly.
222,8xxkm, I'm not terribly concerned. Shit wears out.

The barge has recently developed a knocking noise in the RHF suspension. A brief visual inspection shows nothing of concern, but I'll get it looked at by someone more qualified tomorrow, and order parts accordingly.
222,8xxkm, I'm not terribly concerned. Shit wears out.
At least you didn't completely destroy it like this guy I was watching yesterday, so it's probably fine.

I'm assuming it's the rubbers in the mount. It sounds solid and high up, just in front of me.
Also a known weak point.

285B1634-12E0-44F6-A939-FFBDA1A59D9A.jpeg

Suspicions confirmed.

That brown dust is the remnants of something BMW call guide supports. Essentially cheap bits of foam above and below the mount.

New ones, and the mount flanges for both sides, have been ordered from the local dealer, and will be here on Friday, so I can spend the weekend ripping shit apart.

1BDE7F1D-42F6-401E-9509-3124B7462C1D.jpeg
5489DBD7-8232-421D-AEB6-0F388AFBDC55.jpeg

Last edited:
The forbidden cocoa powder

Forbidden caramel and vanilla doughnuts acquired!

C8919EAB-0468-4955-8AF8-7E58A50C624F.jpeg

Also, embracing the BMW lifestyle…(parking with questionable legality, to procure coffee)

7CD5F27F-15CA-4CD2-AF34-4F8FD987A20F.jpeg

Last edited: