[11x06] July 27th, 2008

[11x06] July 27th, 2008

• Total voters
I know I'm a bit late on the thread, but in the D-Motor drag race they could have used the Jaguar XK-R b/c Jag is owned by Tata nowadays.

I rewatched the challenge yesterday, and I noticed that the 9ff doesn't really sound like it's going at full throttle when it crosses the line. It's not exactly known to be quick off the line or a good quartermile racer (the AutoBild Sportscars measured it with 3.9 secs from 0-62 on a test track), but it should have been better than we saw in Top Gear. Maybe something went wrong with it.

A car with that much power is very difficult to get consistent times out of, and no offense to Sabine, but I doubt she's much of a drag racer to begin with. I'm kind of shocked it didn't reel the others in eventually but on such a short distance (for it's available traction) it's not too hard to fathom I guess.

I wonder why they picked the 9ff in the first place and not a regular 911 turbo... that would have been third after the Lambo for sure...

Does anyone know what the online pictures are Jeremy has been showing in the studio that they dont show on TV.

Does anyone know what the online pictures are Jeremy has been showing in the studio that they dont show on TV.

I am pretty sure it is a guy sticking his thing up a muffler.

I'm late, but I loved Germany v England. Freakin' Hilarious. Loved bad winner hammond.:lol: Didn't really care for the other parts.

A car with that much power is very difficult to get consistent times out of, and no offense to Sabine, but I doubt she's much of a drag racer to begin with. I'm kind of shocked it didn't reel the others in eventually but on such a short distance (for it's available traction) it's not too hard to fathom I guess.
True that, but there are a few strange things happening here. As Eye-Q pointed out, the outtakes of this challenge shows a finish of the drag race where the 9ff beats the Vette. And Sabine may not be the classical quartermile racer, but she sits in all kinds of cars all the time and drives them on the most different occasions, so I suppose she knew what she was doing. Obviously, there also was more than one race, so she would have gathered some experience on how to launch that car. And the review I read agreed with Chris Harris that the 9ff is surprisingly easy to drive for a car with so many hp.

Obviously, many things on TG are staged, but this was a bit of a cheap shot if you ask me. Noone explains why they chose those cars (and there would have been better choices for some countries), and the outcome was fabricated as well. I don't know...

Last edited:
Obviously, many things on TG are staged, but this was a bit of a cheap shot if you ask me. Noone explains why they chose those cars (and there would have been better choices for some countries), and the outcome was fabricated as well. I don't know...

I was thinking this too. First I thought it would be a German vs British car race, so I get the Porsche and even to an extent the Lambo being German. But what's the Mitsubishi doing there?

Same goes for the Corvette, that's American, whats that got to do with being British?

Oh well, I guess we shouldn't overanalyze these things and just laugh at them. And again, and again, and ...

Noone explains why they chose those cars

I was thinking this too. First I thought it would be a German vs British car race, so I get the Porsche and even to an extent the Lambo being German. But what's the Mitsubishi doing there?

Same goes for the Corvette, that's American, whats that got to do with being British?

Oh well, I guess we shouldn't overanalyze these things and just laugh at them. And again, and again, and ...

Listen to James' intro - the race is between The Axis powers & The Allies, hence Germany / Italy / Japan, vs America / Britain. Hence the comment from James about what car India might offer him, and Jeremy's comment about the Lambo "changing sides halfway down" (which I loved).

Last edited:

It wasn't just about British versus German - it was about WW2. Axis powers -Germany Italy Japan - versus Aliied - Britain, USA, Fance - until they were overrun/bailed, Australia (which is why James mentioned the Monaro) and the rest of the Commonwealth.

James did actually mention the Axis powers - so overanalyze all you want but listening to what he says might help too :)

Thanks, I get it now.

In an effort to not overanalyse TG I forgot to pay attention.

Kinda forgot the Japanese were in the war too :?

Sorry, I thought that was quite obvious after James' intro. Why they selected the specific cars for that race however was never unveiled, and then the race footage was edited heavily. The whole race just seemed too random for me, seemed to miss the small bits that unconsciously make you say: "Yes, I'd have done that the same way!".

Great episode, the DB9RS vs Porche was epic. But i still think the 1k pound cop car was the best episode ever, The sirens made me laugh for 5 minutes straight.

Hi

well, watched the ep, and like always with TG I love it.

But, like some, here. Maybe I was looking for the dmotor battle too much. So was a bit disappointed.

Just a bit actually, because, I think that they could do an entire top gear episode with this confrontation. A special one would have been great.
Because I think that sabine is a great driver, and tim schrick is enormous on massive powerslide. So would like a powerslide contest between german and brit, or thing like that. A bit more of theses fantastic drivers skills.

Except that. It was really good. Loved jeremy completely missing the ball. Was 200% sure about that, and make me laugh during 5minutes.
The victory of hammond was hilarious, well quite a bit scary actually :lol:

I'm sure they could have done an entire top gear like the rest of the season, with the good review of james, the gumpert and other thing. And why not a season finale special with the dmotor vs top gear contest. But it"s done, and quite beautifully done like always.

Is there anywhere in the UK where one could rent a Spitfire? I don't actually fly but it would be cool to take one up with a qualified pilot, similar to the fly a MiG in Russia program.

Great episode.

Anyway, James may have forgotten about the VXR in the drag race, but the Elfin MS8 would have been even better. :)

I don't know why the sabine tried to make a point about James being last though. If you break up the race like this:

1st = 6 points
2nd = 5 points
3rd = 4 points
4th = 3 points
5th = 2 points
6th = 1 point

TG: 6+4+1=11
DM: 5+3+2=10

:)

Is there anywhere in the UK where one could rent a Spitfire? I don't actually fly but it would be cool to take one up with a qualified pilot, similar to the fly a MiG in Russia program.

You used to be able to but I believe now that there are only 3
2-seater Spitfires in working order in the UK and none of them have the necessary licence to take ordinary passengers. I assume TG had to pay through the nose for the necessary certificates and insurance.

You can hire the Grace Spitfire (one of those used in TG) to fly in formation with other historic planes past your event (birthday, corporate do, funeral whatever) if you are very rich

Thanks for the info Momo63. Is there any place in the UK where one can go up in a WWII airplane? Doesn't have to a be a Spitfire but I think going up in a WWII area prop plane would be a blast!