2012 Car Launches and Testing Thread

Well obviously they have a reason for it, I dont think they did it just to troll us :p
If "it" is not the nose design, but "placing a fake nose on the launch car", then trolling would make a lot of sense. Caterham might be a backbencher, but that does not mean that they are keen to keep their developments for themselves.

AkHI681CQAAKOGS.jpg:large

It really just looks like a cheap cop-out. There is no reason they can't streamline that nose instead of having the hump.

Nope, that's pretty much what the regulations require this year.

The start of the first FOTA meeting for the 2012 season consisted of lots of people saying "is it just us, or does your car look ugly too?"

Nope, that's pretty much what the regulations require this year.

The start of the first FOTA meeting for the 2012 season consisted of lots of people saying "is it just us, or does your car look ugly too?"

That sudden bump in nose thickness is a result of regs? Do you know what regs relate to it? I'd be interested to read those. I understand a car looking "ugly" in general (though I can't say I've found any of these recent cars ugly, but then again I am in aerospace), but that one bit just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
That sudden bump in nose thickness is a result of regs? Do you know what regs relate to it? I'd be interested to read those. I understand a car looking "ugly" in general (though I can't say I've found any of these recent cars ugly, but then again I am in aerospace), but that one bit just doesn't make sense to me.

The max height of the nose cone has been lowered this year but the tub can still be higher, so you get this step between the nose and the tub.

they discovered if the nose and the tub are at the same height, and there is a side impact between two cars, not much is needed to have the nose jump the tub and hit the driver in the head. so now the tub must be 62.5cm heigh, and the nose can only be 55cm from the ground

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/f1-2012-rules-designs-and-trends/

(if anyone has any more info regarding the anti dive geometry, please post, because it isn't all clear to me)

Last edited:
they discovered if the nose and the tub are at the same height, and there is a side impact between two cars, not much is needed to have the nose jump the tub and hit the driver in the head. so now the tub must be 62.5cm heigh, and the nose can only be 55cm from the ground reference plane

FTFM :)

Screen-Shot-2012-02-01-at-11.46.34.png

isn't the exhaust supposed to pop out somewhere around the merc star on the engine cover?