A question about multi-tools

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
I've been meaning to buy a multi-tool for some time and the many models and brands confused me a little.
I guess the most famous one is Leatherman, but is it the best?
It is the one I have more easily available here, but the models seem pretty similar to me.
Any tips?
Any models to avoid?
Thanks in advance.

I have two Leatherman units. An original Wave and a Charge TTi. Neither has ever let me down. I would say the Wave is more robust, but the Charge is the daily carry. A sharpening place screwed the blade on the Charge and Leatherman replaced it free of charge. A work college has a Victorianox that he uses as a hammer and it works well. I think it's a matter of what you want to use it for, how you will carry it etc. I personally like the blades on the Charge because they stay sharper longer however ditch the supplied half screwdriver bits and get the extension and small bit set.

Thanks.

I was looking for something to carry around, so it should be lightweight.
The ones more commonly available here are the Kick, Fuse, Core, Blast. I'll read more about them. :)

I use a Gerber Multi-Plier 600:
Multi-Plier-600-Basic-Needlenose-Black_fulljpg.jpg

It comes with the advantages of the patented Gerber one-hand opening mechanism (which comes in handy when you stand on top of a ladder and only got one hand free to open the tool) and a matte black finish.

Have used it daily in six years of film industry work, while wrenching at my car and for little fixes here and there. Did not let me down yet.

Last edited:
I have two Leatherman, a Super Tool and a MUT. Both have been working flawlessly, however the Super Tool required opening the pliers to open any of the accessory, and the unlocking mechanism was not that great.

My newer one (the MUT) fixes those issue. I believe Kajun recently bought one that also takes care of that while being closer in look and function to the original one than the MUT.

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

I believe Kajun recently bought one that also takes care of that while being closer in look and function to the original one than the MUT.

Yep, I've got the new style Leatherman Wave.

I love how I can use the blades without opening the pliers; it's just as convenient as a pocket knife. The tools inside are useful without too much useless clutter (honestly, how often are you going to use a leather awl?). Another benefit is that the screwdriver bit can be changed out with the aforementioned bits and extension so you can customize it to your needs. If you don't like the black it's also available (and cheaper) in classic silver.

Thank everyone!
I'll check for the Gerber and for the Wave.
:thumbsup:

EDIT: That MUT looks damn sexy.

Last edited: