BBC news: "Top Gear under fire after presenters puff on pipes"

Talk about a nanny state, they were just having a laugh!!! Poking fun at pointless branded merchandise. As this would be a one off (and they DIDN'T smoke them for the entirety of the show), I don't see they can get into much trouble over this!!

It depends on the local authority - if they heavily push the smoking ban then the BBC could face a ?2500 fine and Jeremy and James could face a ?50 fine each.

But its more likely the LA (local authority) will just say "don't do it again" and give them a bit of a slapped wrist.

Oh no, $5000! :lol:

Lemme just say 5k fine is nothing. If such thing wud've taken place on American TV, network size of BBC, they'd be facing 150k fine per affiliate at least, about 150mil total (minimum).

BBC doesn't have affiliates - it's a single network - British tv works VERY differently to American television - plus BBC is publicly owned and funded so a fine would in fact hurt the people that pay for the BBC so the Beeb don't tend to get fined as much as the commercial networks.

However the BBC could still face a larger fine if OfCom decide to get involved.

?2500 is the maximum fine they can face from the local authority from a legal perspective but if OfCom decide they've broken a broadcasting code or something then they could impose a MUCH larger fine.

My god people really don't have anything better to do with their time but moan, die in a fire hippie!!!

Surely the BBC watches the programmes before they are broadcast in their name. Someone has made a decision which is sureley based on some understanding that not much will happen in any case. The BBC knew clearly what could happen and have decided to show the smoking. I couldn't care less. No one in the audience was hurt, no one in the audience complained and therefore those people who have got nothing better to do than to cry out about something that's got NOTHING to do with them shoud PLEASE SHUT UP!

This really angers me. Its pathetic, there making a fuss over nothing, the media gets all over it, some idiots who never question what there been told jump on the band wagon and it just all spirals out of control.

Its 3 pipes in a hanger.....not a bong, there smoking in near children, they weren't making others smoke. No, just a bit of a laugh. But ohh no you can't laugh anymore! - there's some pressure group against it.

My message to these pressure groups: Piss off, Find a proper job.

lol this made me laugh(taken for bbc news)

One audience member told the BBC News website: "No-one in the audience seemed to mind when they lit up - people laughed, although the room did get quite smoky."

WTF!! How on earth could the room get "quite smoky" when James and Jeremy smoked a pipe for all of 20 secs!!!It's a massive flipping studio!You'd think they lit a bonfire the way they are going on about it!!

Get a grip,it was a joke :blowup:
(Sorry it just winds me up at how nit-picky and controlling people are nowadays)

Last edited:
Nobody really complained except the anti-smoking group people. A bit of advertising really...

My god people really don't have anything better to do with their time but moan, die in a fire hippie!!!

When people have nothing going on in their life, they tend to find ways to restrict others from doing anything.

All three of the show's presenters pulled pipes out from under their chairs during a discussion about Porsche-branded products, but Richard Hammond did not light up, having recently given up smoking.

I love the way they make it seem random. That they just suddenly decided to light up during a segment on Porsches. As if it was nothing to do with the show.

WTF.. This is just plan stupid, especially for a nation that JUST BANED SMOKING INDOORS. I was in England in 2004 and remember seeing people smoke everywhere. Back here in the States, especially in CA we had a ban on smoking indoors at restaurants and bars for a much longer time.