Beer

This is my favorite "beer", well it's actually a "Pilsener"
Its brewed in Limburg a province of the Netherlands, and is the only brewery in the Netherlands that uses an officially certified underground spring.
Thats why I think it has a great smooth taste.

alfabier.jpg

I :love: it.

My goal this year is to try every single beer Dogfish Head makes. So far I've gotten to this:

dogfish%20head%20raison%20d%27etre.jpg

It's smoky without being overpowering, and manages to be fairly crisp as well. I can definitely find it easier to sip than most ales of the sort. So far, it's a good start on my so-called "quest."

I love it when foreigners come out to play :p

Its a trappist beer, witch is a Belgian invention, its brewed by trappist munks, witch is originaly a Belgian order, and the actual monistery its brewed in was founded by a Belgian......they have only as recently as 2005 earned the right to call it a trappist again, and that's only because the quality and brewing process is now controlled and checked by the IVT, witch despite is name is a Belgian organisation, run by Belgians....about the only thing Dutch about is is the location where its made.....
So in the same reasoning a Renault made in Croatia is a Croatian brand car?

thank you come again...... :p

Dude, you need to relax with the Belgian beer love. I :love: a good witbier too, but that doesn't mean I'm a purist to the extent that I disdain all other beers made in the style. That's not what enjoying good beer is about. :)

My goal this year is to try every single beer Dogfish Head makes.:)
Their beer is pretty expensive. I've only tried the 90 minute IPA so far and it was pretty good. Trying all of their beers is a great goal... perhaps I'll embark on this epic adventure as well. Now I just need to find a job on campus :lol: Btw, BlaRo, you need to come out to UMass some time so we can go to the Moan and Dove - one of the best bars on the East Coast :cheers:

Last edited:
I was not a fan of la fin du monde

I am not a fan of the world ending, either. ;)

My goal this year is to try every single beer Dogfish Head makes. So far I've gotten to this:
It's smoky without being overpowering, and manages to be fairly crisp as well. I can definitely find it easier to sip than most ales of the sort. So far, it's a good start on my so-called "quest."

Tried some two years ago, hated it. Just repulsive.

UMass some time so we can go to the Moan and Dove - one of the best bars on the East Coast :cheers:

That was seriously on my pro/con list when I was deciding between UMass, UConn, and Indiana.:lol:

I need to discover some more good pilsners. I hate how Miller Fucking Lite calls themselves a "pilsner," which is kind of like calling feces a Black Forest cake because they're both brown.

Btw, BlaRo, you need to come out to UMass some time so we can go to the Moan and Dove - one of the best bars on the East Coast :cheers:

That good huh? I find myself in Amherst a lot, I was just there yesterday driving my friend to Coolidge for RA training. Amherst Brewing Co. looks pretty interesting, how is that place?

And if/when I do stop by this semester, I'll let you know. :cool:

Last edited:
I hate you guys, there are absolutely no good liquor stores in Northern Indiana and we got like one good bar. I have to drive an hour north to get any decent beer.

In other news Beer Advocate finally listed one of the new local breweries, where all the beer tastes like green hops. A place where the owner is a unparalleled douchebag with no background in business, customer service, restaurants, human resources, brewing, or food. But he is fat. I normally go easy on someone taking a risk and starting a business but I'm gonna have fun with this review.

Last edited:
That was seriously on my pro/con list when I was deciding between UMass, UConn, and Indiana.:lol:
:lol::lol:

Amherst Brewing Co. looks pretty interesting, how is that place?
Its not bad. Pretty popular place, although I've only been there twice (one of the times I wasn't even drinking) :-|

I hate you guys, there are absolutely no good liquor stores in Northern Indiana and we got like one good bar. I have to drive an hour north to get any decent beer.
You can order some :dunno: However, its illegal to ship alcohol into MA. Hoorah!

A place where the owner is a unparalleled douchebag with no background in business, customer service, restaurants, human resources, brewing, or food. But he is fat. I normally go easy on someone taking a risk and starting a business but I'm gonna have fun with this review.
:lol: Let us know how that turns out

Luckily enough I'm in Kalamazoo about every other week, which is a huge party school town and they have more beer than can go around. I have a friend who goes to school in MA maybe I'll have him buy me some local beer. Throw in a little extra to help pay off his hundreds of MA parking tickets :lol:

Last edited:
I love it when foreigners come out to play :p

Its a trappist beer, witch is a Belgian invention, its brewed by trappist munks, witch is originaly a Belgian order, and the actual monistery its brewed in was founded by a Belgian......they have only as recently as 2005 earned the right to call it a trappist again, and that's only because the quality and brewing process is now controlled and checked by the IVT, witch despite is name is a Belgian organisation, run by Belgians....about the only thing Dutch about is is the location where its made.....
So in the same reasoning a Renault made in Croatia is a Croatian brand car?

thank you come again...... :p

:shock:
I knew it is belgian invention, but the rest.. :unsure: respect dude!:bow: you learn 'till you're alive.. :) anything to recomend? we have two pubs here, with selection of approximately 150 belgian beers..

btw, renault is made in slovenia ;) we have no car industry whatsoever..

:shock:
I knew it is belgian invention, but the rest.. :unsure: respect dude!:bow: you learn 'till you're alive.. :) anything to recomend? we have two pubs here, with selection of approximately 150 belgian beers..

btw, renault is made in slovenia ;) we have no car industry whatsoever..

Recommending someone a beer is usualy very hard, you seem to be into the heavier dark stuff, others like 'beer with apple cider in it' :lol:

I'l give it a shot, all off it the more common stuff since I presume those have the most chance of beeing in the 150 you will find there.

1 : "Karmeliet", blond trippel, very full taste whithout resorting to plain bitterness and a hint of lemon in the finish, might seem a little 'light' compared to a trappist but don't be fooled.....it carries a punch.

2 : "Brugse zot dubbel" , dark , heavishy beer, full, heavy ,slightly bitter taste, feels heavier than in actualy is in terms of alcohol but brewed with pure love by one of the most charming breweries in Belgium.

3 : "Kwak" , made by the same people who make karmeliet, middleheavy amber/dark beer....the vote's a little out on this one, I like it alot and recommend it, others seem to think its rahter average......you know, like a 911 in a showroom full off enzo's ;)

This is my favorite "beer", well it's actually a "Pilsener"
Its brewed in Limburg a province of the Netherlands, and is the only brewery in the Netherlands that uses an officially certified underground spring.
Thats why I think it has a great smooth taste.

alfabier.jpg

I :love: it.

That stuff's brewed only a few kms from where I live, but personally, I prefer Brand's offering over Alfa, which is a good second.

Tried Vedett last week after ElToro recommended it. It's one damn good pilsner, but it's also damn bloody fucking expensive, so it won't make it onto my regular drinking roster.

Recommending someone a beer is usualy very hard, you seem to be into the heavier dark stuff, others like 'beer with apple cider in it' :lol:

I'l give it a shot, all off it the more common stuff since I presume those have the most chance of beeing in the 150 you will find there.

1 : "Karmeliet", blond trippel, very full taste whithout resorting to plain bitterness and a hint of lemon in the finish, might seem a little 'light' compared to a trappist but don't be fooled.....it carries a punch.

2 : "Brugse zot dubbel" , dark , heavishy beer, full, heavy ,slightly bitter taste, feels heavier than in actualy is in terms of alcohol but brewed with pure love by one of the most charming breweries in Belgium.

3 : "Kwak" , made by the same people who make karmeliet, middleheavy amber/dark beer....the vote's a little out on this one, I like it alot and recommend it, others seem to think its rahter average......you know, like a 911 in a showroom full off enzo's ;)

i've tried kwak so far.. nice taste indeed, but i remember glass mostly.. :lol: i'll try those other two.. thx m8 ;) :cheers:

I had a little sixpack last weekend in a pub that also runs it?s own small brewery ...

I really liked their normal Pilsener, so I ordered a "taster" to sample the rest of what they do. It featured 2 specially spiced Pilseners, Weizen, 2 Bockbeer and their normal Pilsener ... (please excuse the crappy cellphone-pic)
http://img517.imageshack.**/img517/6922/6erbier.jpg

And I have to say ... apart from the normal Pilsener it was all (to say this nicely) not my taste ...
For me, that shows what I think is the problem for a lot of these small brewerys. They try to do everything instead of concentrating on doing one thing right. These guys have a very tasty pilsener ... but they just had to go and try to offer 6 different beers ... :rolleyes:

http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/dogfish head raison d'etre.jpg

You will need to make a pilgrimage to Rehoboth Beach Delaware. They have a great brew pub near the ocean. I had to do 6 months near there for work and discovered this beer 6 years ago. And a few years back they started carrying it here in Texas in most of the stores around my house. They serve some beers that they do not bottle in the brewpub. Like one that they serve in a brandy snifter (I can't remember the name of it I guess I had to many of them) and the vodkas they make are quite good as well.

recommend me something for friday from this list: http://www.moananddove.com/bottle-menu/
I usually go for pale ales and IPAs but I'm willing to get a good lager or stout

I'm glad somebody I know likes IPAs. They're definitely a beer that you have to be in a certain mood for. You can't chug a Blue Dot Double IPA before a frat party, for example.

Thanks for the tip txjeepn, you've managed to double the places in Delaware worth visiting in my mind. ;)

Ran into these two beauties at my local supermarket, so I promptly offered them a ride to my house...
in-heat.gif
tire-bite.gif

The tire biter is very very nice, great color, notes of honey and a great aftertaste. I'm currently halfway into my first bottle of the heat wheat, and it's a good bear, just not what I'm expecting when the label reads "hefe-weizen"...

As promised scathing review of local shithouse brewpub.

In other news Sam Adam's Noble Piss Pils is a very good, err, Beer-That-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Lager, there I said it, and I drank it too. Please don't neg rep me!

Last edited: