Bicycles!

Just an FYI, do not buy Park Tool pumps. They're giant POSs. I've had my pump not even a year and the thing leaks like crazy. I'm going to call them and see if they'll send me some replacement parts.

Wasn't terribly impressed with my Park Tool 'shop pump' at time pf purchase either. the double valved head didn't seal on one side or another without a hard knock to shift the ball check valve or whatever, and generally felt rather cheap. Enough that I was immediately searching for a replacement head/pump. Customer service wasn't too impressive either. I've had better luck with my ancient orange Nashbar pump. At least when it goes, it's rebuildable:p

Last edited:
So my bike, again developed a stupid clicking noise in the crank. i had the same problem about a year ago and had the crank, pedals and bearing changed. it only happen if i actually pedal on the left, if i only use my right foot, there's nothing going on.
I can't think of anything it could be, since the changed parts can't possibly be worn out already... :mad: oh well, i guess i'll bring it to the shop and have them figure it out.

And there I am, looking thinking of buying a bicycle again...
Now I am living much closer to the university, so riding there is a viable option.

yeahh... taking the bike to a proper shop might've been a mistake...
it's about 10 years old, so EVERYTHING's broken. new chain, new cables, new brakes, new gears, probably new crank bearing including ridiculous amounts of work: 240?. :eek:
... add to that the need to replace my wheels (because after 10 years, i've nearly gone through them by braking) and other fun work, and you're basically looking at 50% of what the whole damn bike cost when new.

so yeah, i took it home and told the mechanic i would decide between having the work done and simply buying a whole new bike :|

I went through something similar around ten years ago. :lol:

In the end I kept the bike because I had an emotional attachment to it and it was still cheaper to give her an overhaul and keep the frame, which was somewhat rare and not easily replaceable.

Last edited:
well, emotional attachment isn't much of a thing with this bike. i like it, but it's only a tool to me (much like JCs mx5). in the end, it will be cheaper to keep the bike, but i'll basically be replacing everything for the cost of close to, or more than, half of a new bike. additionally, i simply have no guarantee whatsoever that my main issue (clicking crank) will actually get fixed, only the usual "we'll see what we can do" promise. i'm not really happy dumping 400+? on such a promise.

still... it WOULD still be cheaper... meh. oh well, i'll check out another mechanic first.

So my bike, again developed a stupid clicking noise in the crank. i had the same problem about a year ago and had the crank, pedals and bearing changed. it only happen if i actually pedal on the left, if i only use my right foot, there's nothing going on.
I can't think of anything it could be, since the changed parts can't possibly be worn out already... :mad: oh well, i guess i'll bring it to the shop and have them figure it out.

I assume your bottom bracket assembly is screwed in rather than pressed? is it possible your frame's threads have worn down to the point that the play is causing the clicking?

My other guess would have been a cracked frame:eek: but if it had gone away with the initial work, hopefully that's not the case.

My assessment: You're far too strong for your bike. :lol:

did you keep up on maintenance? (cleaning, oil and such) ...also, after 10 years of use (ie, not sitting in a garage the whole time), the chain probably should have been replaced a couple times...

I assume your bottom bracket assembly is screwed in rather than pressed? is it possible your frame's threads have worn down to the point that the play is causing the clicking?

My other guess would have been a cracked frame:eek: but if it had gone away with the initial work, hopefully that's not the case.

yeah, the mechanic thought about a cracked frame as well. but then again, why indeed would the issue go away for nearly a year? :dunno:
it is indeed screwed in, yes. and yes, i guess the threads could have worn down to allow some play... but the mechanic should probably be able to identify that fairly easily, no? now that you mention it though, there definitely is some play in there somewhere. oh well, i left the bike at the shop, he said he'd take another look... i'll enquire tomorrow

My assessment: You're far too strong for your bike. :lol:

possible :D but why how what would that matter?

did you keep up on maintenance? (cleaning, oil and such) ...also, after 10 years of use (ie, not sitting in a garage the whole time), the chain probably should have been replaced a couple times...

yes yes, the whole drive train is pretty well taken care of... compared to the rest of the bike. regularly cleaned and oiled, but the current chain is a little old (especially since i have ridden my bike a lot more in the last 1,5 years). i'm on my 4th or 5th chain and cassette, but since i don't quite keep track of what mileage the individual parts have done, i can only suspect the damn thing to be fairly worn out.

as a comparison, i threw together all the parts needed for the 240? repair job one shop quoted me... and including all the necessary tools (stupid special damn stuff) i'd end up paying about 1/3 of that. i guess i'll simply do it myself, can't be that hard, right? :D

This thread is relevant to me again! Yesterday I came up with a late New Year's resolution to start riding my road bike that's been gathering dust for the last two years. For now I'm using an indoor trainer to get my fitness up so I can go on meaningful rides when the weather warms up. The next step is getting some warmer clothing to take advantage of the nice-ish days that pop up here every once in a while.

We'll see how long this resolution lasts. :lol:

yeah, the mechanic thought about a cracked frame as well. but then again, why indeed would the issue go away for nearly a year? :dunno:
it is indeed screwed in, yes. and yes, i guess the threads could have worn down to allow some play... but the mechanic should probably be able to identify that fairly easily, no? now that you mention it though, there definitely is some play in there somewhere. oh well, i left the bike at the shop, he said he'd take another look... i'll enquire tomorrow

possible :D but why how what would that matter?

yes yes, the whole drive train is pretty well taken care of... compared to the rest of the bike. regularly cleaned and oiled, but the current chain is a little old (especially since i have ridden my bike a lot more in the last 1,5 years). i'm on my 4th or 5th chain and cassette, but since i don't quite keep track of what mileage the individual parts have done, i can only suspect the damn thing to be fairly worn out.

as a comparison, i threw together all the parts needed for the 240? repair job one shop quoted me... and including all the necessary tools (stupid special damn stuff) i'd end up paying about 1/3 of that. i guess i'll simply do it myself, can't be that hard, right? :D

From your maintenance schedule, and 5 chains or so, it may well just be worn out.

if it wasn't for the time, I'd say to check your seat post too, improper torque can cause some clicking to resonate through the frame, all in all, I'm as befuddled as your mechanic. :lol:

Bike building is really simple! you should go for it! not that much special tooling either. most of what you need could be contained in a hefty multitool. :p the remaining bottom bracket and hub pullers aren't too bad, though a bit specialized, so they do a bit of sitting around.

I do recall one of my OLD bikes acting somewhat odd, making me think the pedal bearings had gone, but it turned out that the crank was stripping from the spindle. oops (stupid cotters)

after checking with a friend who regularly changes chain and cassette himself because of the mileage he does, i also have come to the conclusion, that i could probably do all that myself.

so, now i have in an old shoebox of mine: new chain, cassette, all new cables, new brake shoes... and the associated tools: a chain whip (at least that's what they're called in german, funniest tool of all time anyone?), adapter for the cassette lock ring and a chain rivet tool. will get to work on all that on the weekend i guess, maybe earlier...

for the clicking in the cranks, i had the bike at the place it was at less than a year ago for the same reason. he said he'd take a look free of charge, since after that short a time, it simply couldn't be. so he changed the bearing... and the clicking stopped :? we will see, if it start up again in half a year or so, i'll be back :D when going over the bike, i will however re-do all other screws and replace a few (some idiot worked on them with rusty tools... so yeah, now i have some rusty screws). yay...

oh, have a picture, just for the hell of it:
2014-01-08%2009.20.57.jpg

edit: slightly altered the picture, for narf :D

Last edited:
One more thing to add to your kit: lube.

It goes well with your chain whip! (same name in america)

Coat everything in lube. Everything is better with lube. :lol:

(I just use automotive bearing grease since it's cheap)

For that kind of money, I'd buy a small compressor

Compressors at that cost are junk for the most part and not great for reaching high pressures (I need 120 psi).

indeed. the pumps i use are all between 5 and 10 euros and they're mostly just fine :dunno: based on that evidence, either of those will suit you more than just fine i guess.

indeed. the pumps i use are all between 5 and 10 euros and they're mostly just fine :dunno: based on that evidence, either of those will suit you more than just fine i guess.

my park tool pump cost that much and failed after a couple of months, it is arguably the worst purchase I've ever made.

Last edited: