BREAKING NEWS: Opel sold to Magna

Sooo.... does this mean Canada will once again have it's own auto company? :p

I think the last one died in about 1930=something...

Well, the Arcadian was kind of Canadian...
62_Acadian_Invader.jpg

Yah, but it was really just a pontiac acadian.... which was really just a chevy II/Nova

What Opel has got now, is a perspective. Not more. It is now sure that Opel will not be dragged into the abyss together with GM, when GM files Chapter 11 next week.

Even GM Europe boss Forster only says that Opel is saved "for the moment". And obviously there are no final contracts signed yet. So it's still not over.

The new company is far from saved and the German government only agreed to it after some struggle and is not completely convinced it will work (in political terms that means they can wash their hands clean, if it goes all to hell in a year or two).

There still has to happen a minor miracle to save Opel in the long run, because currently it is far from being a profitable company.

This shows how smart GM is. Selling off one of their only divisions that makes small/medium quality cars that they desperately need... unless they're going to keep in alliance with them, I don't see this going well.

Prepare for an Opel with a dash of vodka! :mrgreen: Someone's dropped Sberbanks's 35% while going at length about Magna's 20% ))

This shows how smart GM is. Selling off one of their only divisions that makes small/medium quality cars that they desperately need... unless they're going to keep in alliance with them, I don't see this going well.

Not to worry, they have Daewoo! :thumbup:

Oh wait, yeah no.

Germany picks Magna to save Opel

Germany has agreed a deal with Magna International, a Canadian car parts maker, to take over Opel, part of the European wing of US carmaker GM.

Talks in Berlin continued into early Saturday before Germany's finance minister announced the rescue deal.

The German government is expected to provide an immediate loan facility of 1.5bn euros ($2.1bn, ?1.3bn).

The Magna deal should protect Opel if GM files for bankruptcy protection in the US on Monday, as is expected.

The Canadian company has said it will put more than 500m euros ($700m; ?435m) into Opel, which employs more than 25,000 people in Germany.

Significant numbers of workers are also spread around Spain, Belgium, Poland and the UK, where Opel cars are branded as Vauxhall for British customers.

Magna's bid was backed by Russia's state-run bank Sberbank and Russian magnate Oleg Deripaska's truck firm Gaz. The consortium hopes to see GM expand its reach into the Russian market.

Opel ring-fenced

German Finance Minister Peer Steinbrueck told journalists outside the chancellery shortly after 0200 local time on Saturday that a deal had been agreed.

#

"A solution has been found to keep Opel running," said Mr Steinbrueck, after six hours of talks between German politicians, US government officials and executives from General Motors and Magna.

Mr Steinbrueck said that although it was impossible to exclude all risk, the deal agreed would safeguard Opel's sites in Germany and preserve "the highest possible numbers of jobs" there.

Before the announcement of the deal, Magna said it planned to cut 2,500 jobs in Germany, about 10% of Opel's workforce in that country. Italy's Fiat, a former potential bidder, had said it would cut 10,000 jobs.

GM operations in Europe will now be placed under the care of a trustee to shield them from the parent company's filing for bankruptcy protection in the US.

The BBC's Steve Rosenberg, in Berlin, says the Germans wanted to ringfence Opel from the mother company and this has been achieved.

It is a key breakthrough, our correspondent adds, and quite surprising considering that a few hours before the situation had looked quite hopeless, with Fiat walking away from the bid and Magna appearing to get cold feet.

Magna's plans

Details of the final deal with Magna have not yet been released, but the terms of the agreement are thought to involve GM keeping a 35% stake in the company, while 10% would be owned by Opel employees.

UK Business Secretary Lord Mandelson said Magna had given a "clear commitment" to continuing production of cars in the UK.

But, he said, it was likely that change lay ahead, as there was "excess capacity" in GM's operations in Europe.

On Friday, a court in Sweden granted Saab, GM's other European business, an extension to its protection from creditors.

The Swedish carmaker first sought protection in February. It now has until 20 August to line up a new owner and to restructure its business.

Saab is being sold off by GM separately.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8074924.stm?ad=1

In other news, i think as a minor stakeholder, GM might still have access to some Opel technology - on the other hand, Magna said they plan to sell "platforms" to third partys, which sounds quite reasonable to me: Sell Opel-developed platforms, i.e. Chassis without bodyworks and drivetrains under the well-established Magna brand, thus take "supply" to the next level by supplying a much bigger part. Sounds reasonable (especially if the top developments stay Opel-only) and like a good source of additional revenue for Magna, and yet another way for GM to "share" Opel technology: some deal that gurantees GM discount prices for Magna platforms. But all that's just my speculation, all i know is that Magna plans to sell Opel platforms.

Looks like Opel might survive in the long term. This is much better than what the US government came up with for Chrysler.

Opel lost a big part of its market share due to a mismatched model policy in the past 20 years. They used to be nearly eye level with VW in the 1980's. They may be better than Chrysler but they still have to get a LOT better to survive among the much more powerful European competitors without GM money to back them up.

Last edited:
Please for the love of god don't fuck up Opel.

Please negotiate a good price for small cars with Holden so we don't have to get the current shit korean imports anymore. :)

Please for the love of god don't fuck up Opel.

Please negotiate a good price for small cars with Holden so we don't have to get the current shit korean imports anymore. :)

I don't think Holden will stop using the Korean plant for their small car segment, apart from the Cruze which will eventually be built in Australia.

It's cheaper than getting them from Opel.

Sooo...

Opel needs 4-5 billion for the pensioners and GM seems to want 6 billion for licenses and patents. None of which will be paid by the German state of course.

Magna and Sberbank, however, are currently only willing to invest 100 million of their own money, just in case it still goes wrong. Confidence in the future looks differently to me.

Meanwhile McKinsey considers their concept critical, risky, optimistic and their plans "ambitious".

As I already said: It is not through yet.

Last edited:
In a not-so-surprising turn of events, GM wants a "buy back clause" to be added to the contract with Magna, according to Spiegel.de.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/06/22/GM_CEO_Fritz_Henderson_Holds_News_Conference_6xhYuLWG2mOl.jpghttps://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/06/22/Putin.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/06/22/GM_Fritz_Henderson_lower.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/06/22/putin(2).jpg
GM+CEO+Fritz+Henderson+Announces+Major+Restructuring+rPqA4qBQURcl.jpg

^ :rofl: Nobody fucks with Putin. He's the Chuck Norris of politics.

Not to be rude but Chevy was/is Canadian.