Considering a First Car - rickhamilton620 friend - round 1

Perhaps your GF should be buying the car, seeing as she's paying for everything else?

I guess he'll assume that they will share the cost of gas by doing the whole "whoever notices it's on E fills it." Thing.

He should have been more clear: this car will be shared with both him and his GF. Right now, while they do fine with mass transit (live in the city), traveling to see family is a hassle without a car.

I should also add that he's just graduated from uni so that's why he's not been working before hand. He's a good guy, not a moocher.

One condition is she has close to final say in what he considers, although I'm sure he's run those posted above by her already. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like you will better off with a truck/SUV type of vehicle. Though I'm surprised you seem to feel cramped in cars that I am absolutely fine in considering that you are only 1-2" taller. I would suggest look at Nissan SUVs, (I'm sure SPECTRE will jump in with models and what to look out of) as far as gas mileage a car that will fit you fine and be under 3K (by the looks of your budget) is basically an impossibility. Big cars don't get good mileage in general and older cars are worse on gas than newer ones by default.

Perhaps your GF should be buying the car, seeing as she's paying for everything else?

Rick got it right. Minus that she wont be driving.

Wait...so due to your size the only thing you feel comfortable in is a truck (I can relate to that), but you are considering things like a Focus and a Celica? How will that work? (I owned a gen1 Focus) You will fit but you will be miserable and need a canopener after long drives, gets old realy fast.

I havent been in a Celica or a Focus so I thought you never know whats big. My cousin that is 6ft 6 drives a focus hatch (i never see him so i cant try it) but i guess those are too small then.

Sorry but vans are off the list due to coolness factor and I am trying to avoid "family" cars as they tend to haul kids and kids leave stains.

SUV, Im considering the Cherokee now but the LR Discovery is trouble waiting I presume.

Sounds like you will better off with a truck/SUV type of vehicle. Though I'm surprised you seem to feel cramped in cars that I am absolutely fine in considering that you are only 1-2" taller. I would suggest look at Nissan SUVs, (I'm sure SPECTRE will jump in with models and what to look out of) as far as gas mileage a car that will fit you fine and be under 3K (by the looks of your budget) is basically an impossibility. Big cars don't get good mileage in general and older cars are worse on gas than newer ones by default.

I think the difference is proportions for tall people, we are all tall in different ways :)

Ill take a look on kijiji for some nissan SUVs

the LR Discovery is trouble waiting I presume.

Unless it has an exceptional service history yes. To give you an idea the last owner of mine had the cruise control replace thrice, had the dealer replace the head gaskets, and had a myriad of little issues fixed. And mine is a bare bones model. It all works now, but that's because he ate the costs. Then gave up when the clutch needed to be replaced (11.5 hours of labor).

Unless it has an exceptional service history yes. To give you an idea the last owner of mine had the cruise control replace thrice, had the dealer replace the head gaskets, and had a myriad of little issues fixed. And mine is a bare bones model. It all works now, but that's because he ate the costs. Then gave up when the clutch needed to be replaced (11.5 hours of labor).

Thats ridiculous.. I saw this

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...ower-Ram-1500-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ313888415

then ricky sent me this.. the floor buckled

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=6&seriesid=401

Look for a Ford F150 with the straight 6 (I believe they offered them until '97). You cannot kill that engine.

Let's see. Fuel efficient, cheap, good in the winter and able to easily sit a very tall person?

Old VW Beetle with a gas heater.

Let's see. Fuel efficient, cheap, good in the winter and able to easily sit a very tall person?

Old VW Beetle with a gas heater.

If you don't mind driving a death trap.

MX5/Miata is either totally crapped out or out of budget.

Old Beetle lol but on a serious note what about a early New Beetle? Looks good for fit?

Last edited:
MX5/Miata is either totally crapped out or out of budget.

Old Beetle lol but on a serious note what about a early New Beetle? Looks good for fit?
You might want to talk to Katwalk before seriously considering a New Beetle. Her 2003 Cabrio hasn't been the most reliable.

And unless you get a Turbo S or turn it into an RSi clone, you would have to be very secure in your manhood to drive one.