Dreaded cyclists

i could argue that at least one female rider seems to be slowing down (while admittedly not really braking) from 18 to 16mph... but yeah, that looks pretty bad. i don't get those people o_O if you'd show me my speed with a posted speed limit literally right next to that... how would i fail to slow down at that point? i mean, some of those people are actually riding through pedestrians at that speed...

slightly offtopic: is that whole segment just public shaming of unnamed people "behaving badly"? ... that could be quite fun, really, will watch some more :D

Last edited:
i could argue that at least one female rider seems to be slowing down (while admittedly not really braking) from 18 to 16mph... but yeah, that looks pretty bad. i don't get those people o_O if you'd show me my speed with a posted speed limit literally right next to that... how would i fail to slow down at that point? i mean, some of those people are actually riding through pedestrians at that speed...

slightly offtopic: is that whole segment just public shaming of unnamed people "behaving badly"? ... that could be quite fun, really, will watch some more :D

Yeah, that's pretty much the theme of that channel; it's worth watching and it's quite funny. As I said elsewhere, it's not just bicyclists he's mocking at all; they do come in for special mockery because of their loud protests, but he deals with cars, pedestrians, stupid politicians, and more. Also, when he interviews people he's caught, usually the motorists are resigned or wry about getting caught. The bicyclists often go ballistic and are aggressive.

Why do bicycles slowing down to 16mph in a 15mph area make it onto that video? That's even worse than my parking rants :lol:

Why do bicycles slowing down to 16mph in a 15mph area make it onto that video? That's even worse than my parking rants :lol:

Most of the bikes in that video don't slow down that far, just one does. Most of them just keep on trucking.

Most of the bikes in that video don't slow down that far, just one does. Most of them just keep on trucking.

...and again, why is that bicycle in the video while the alleged 21mph bicycle isn't? Along with all those groups of racers they talk about being there all the time but never show. Would help the video's point along nicely.

I wonder if anyone did an 85th percentile study there :hmm:

...and again, why is that bicycle in the video while the alleged 21mph bicycle isn't? Along with all those groups of racers they talk about being there all the time but never show. Would help the video's point along nicely.

I wonder if anyone did an 85th percentile study there :hmm:

Because you have to edit somewhere? Another possibility is that the 21mph bicyclist wasn't wearing clothing, which is legal in CA but a bad idea to show on TV. :p

Well, as stated in the video, the racers are there on weekends and the reporter was there on a weekday. This guy is fairly low tier in the media world and they probably don't pay him to work weekends.

In CA, 85th percentile studies are officially done only on state and Federal highways. Some cities perform them on streets, but I don't believe anyone there does it on multiuse paths.

However, the Lycra Kommando racer squads are a known issue. Even other bicyclists in CA complain about them. http://www.theeastsiderla.com/2012/...ed-racers-to-slow-down-on-the-l-a-river-path/

In Sacramento, not terribly far away from San Francisco, they have the same problem, including video at link: http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news...ders-along-american-river-bike-trail/20731100

Last edited:
Because you have to edit somewhere? Another possibility is that the 21mph bicyclist wasn't wearing clothing, which is legal in CA but a bad idea to show on TV. :p

Well, as stated in the video, the racers are there on weekends and the reporter was there on a weekday. This guy is fairly low tier in the media world and they probably don't pay him to work weekends.

:facepalm:

:facepalm:

Not sure which you're facepalming to, the fact that the guy only works when he gets paid or the fact that people in CA sometimes cycle nude. For the latter, I'm not going to post links but you can easily Google for them if desired. Also, added some additional info and cites/links to prior post.

Basically everything.

Editing removed the 21mph bicyclist despite that being a great way to make the video's point? :facepalm:
Editing kept the 16mph bicyclist because it was impossible to take him out to focus the video's point? :facepalm:
The only bicyclists doing 21mph happen to be naked... and yet, those editors can't pixelate? :facepalm:
"Hey boss, there's this story I can only reasonably shoot on a weekend...?" - "No dice, go shoot something useless on a weekday, we're not paying you for weekends!" :facepalm:

Note, I'm not saying those alleged groups of racers aren't a problem. I'm saying this dude's reporting sucks.

Last edited:
The whole channel is full of facepalm. The commenting style of that guy, this sensationalized public shaming of people for mostly trivial offenses, is unbearable. The association "Block Warden" pops into my head after at most twenty seconds of watching any video of his.

Basically everything.

Editing removed the 21mph bicyclist despite that being a great way to make the video's point? :facepalm:
Editing kept the 16mph bicyclist because it was impossible to take him out to focus the video's point? :facepalm:
The only bicyclists doing 21mph happen to be naked... and yet, those editors can't pixelate? :facepalm:
"Hey boss, there's this story I can only reasonably shoot on a weekend...?" - "No dice, go shoot something useless on a weekday, we're not paying you for weekends!" :facepalm:

Note, I'm not saying those alleged groups of racers aren't a problem. I'm saying this dude's reporting sucks.

He's a 'local color'/'consumer advocate' type reporter for a local affiliate station. The only lower position in front of the camera is 'weathergirl.' He's not going to be advancing up the ladder much if any at all. The station's going to spend a minimum of money and resources to let him do his job and that's it.

Editing can account for all the rest, sadly. We recently had a national news report on CNN concerning a racially motivated attack at a supermarket and the footage they used to represent 'police activity' in the case was actually a DUI checkpoint in another state entirely. Also, pixelation takes time; see above, they may not have wanted to spend the resources.

Related: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nude+bicyclist+San+Francisco

The fun/scary part: This guy is actually pretty good for American local reporting.

Last edited:
Wait, what? This is actually the doing of media professionals? I assumed it was just some loser with too much time on his hands.

I'll be over there, weeping...

Wait, what? This is actually the doing of media professionals? I assumed it was just some loser with too much time on his hands.

I'll be over there, weeping...

Yup. This is an actual professional reporter working for one of the major stations in a major city in the US.

And this guy is actually pretty good compared to many in the same position elsewhere. Do keep in mind that he employs heavy sarcasm a lot; not everything he says is a serious complaint.

Yup. This is an actual professional reporter working for one of the major stations in a major city in the US.

And this guy is actually pretty good compared to many in the same position elsewhere. Do keep in mind that he employs heavy sarcasm a lot; not everything he says is a serious complaint.

That is the scary part, when I first saw his stuff I was like "wow his surprisingly good for what he's doing"

Oh, look, another surly pedalbikist breaking the law right in front of the police:

[video=youtube;LMXdMmVWe-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMXdMmVWe-w[/video]

'But bicyclists breaking the law don't hurt anyone! Why do you want them restricted like cars?'

Here's why.

Central Park cyclist veered into wrong lanes before tragic crash

bikecrash.jpg

Seconds before he plowed his $4,000 bike into Connecticut mom in Central Park, leaving her brain dead, speed-demon racing cyclist ?Jason Marshall zoomed down a pedestrian lane and crossed over into the vehicle lane of the park?s West Drive ? even though neither is legal for cycling, The Post has learned.

Law-enforcement sources say that moments before Thursday afternoon?s accident, Marshall was barreling downhill in the lane restricted to pedestrians and child bicyclists.

Somewhere in the West mid-60s, he swerved to avoid a pedestrian, then kept going on a diagonal, veering out of the pedestrian lanes and crossing the central bike lane before swinging into the vehicle lane.

Just then, as he approached the traffic light at West 63rd Street, Jill Tarlov, 58, was stepping off the curb.

1111.jpg

Tarlov, of Fairfield, remains on a ventilator at New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. The former 1010 WINS exec has been married for nearly three decades to Michael Wittman, a senior vice president at CBS. They have two college-age children, Matthew and Anna.

Marshall, a studio session saxophonist, told cops he couldn?t say how fast he was pedaling down the park?s West Drive when he slammed into Tarlov, source said.

?We don?t know how fast he was going,? one frustrated investigator conceded Friday night.

But Marshall, 31, of East Harlem, likes to go very fast ? and boasts about it online almost every day.

He uses a GPS and other software to track his maximum and average speeds during his often twice-daily rides through the park, The Post has found.

His blazing speeds are uploaded ? precise to the 10th of a mile per hour ? onto a competitive running and cycling Web site.

?New Chain, brakes and RD(7800gs),? he had boasted earlier Thursday on the Strava site, referring to a new rear derailleur for his bike. ?All systems go.?

bikecrash2.jpg

NYPD officials examine the scene of the crash.

Hours before he slammed into Tarlov, Marshall had logged 32.2 miles of cycling during a predawn spin through the park, the site says ? and listed his top speed for that ride at 35.6 mph, well over the 25?mph speed limit for bikes and cars.

His maximum speed during five sprints on that same downhill stretch of West Drive during his Thursday-morning ride was 28.9?mph, his data on Strava says.

Marshall ? who appeared to have logged every one of his 9,000 miles ridden so far this year ? left no record of the one afternoon ride that put Tarlov in the hospital.

He declined to comment Friday as he left his East 120th Street apartment on the way to his Upper East Side lawyer?s office.

After the crash, he admitted to cops he was in the wrong lane but insisted he wasn?t speeding, had the green light and had shouted to warn Tarlov as he approached, law-enforcement sources said.

But so far, witnesses have told cops that Marshall appeared to be going at a high rate of speed and had tried to swerve rather than brake.

He had not been charged as of Friday night. Depending on what police find, and on Tarlov?s precarious status, he could face anywhere from a summons for cycling in the wrong lane to charges of assault or reckless homicide, sources said.

For now, Marshall is off his wheels, his bicycle, a yellow-and-black Jamis Eclipse, confiscated as evidence by the police.

'But bicyclists breaking the law don't hurt anyone! Why do you want them restricted like cars?'

I've never heard someone say that. :blink:

California motorists to be paying more expressly to fund freeloader lanes:

New state law allows vehicle surcharge for bike lanes

SACRAMENTO ? Gov. Jerry Brown has signed a bill allowing local governments to impose a vehicle registration surcharge to pay for bike lanes and trails.

The governor's office said in a statement that Brown signed the bill in Sacramento on Saturday.

It lets cities, counties or regional park districts to impose an annual vehicle registration surcharge of up to $5 to pay for local bike lanes and trails.

The surcharge can be imposed until Jan. 1, 2025.

Democratic Sen. Mark DeSaulnier of Concord sponsored the bill that passed the Senate 24-9 in August.

Opponents argued that drivers should not have to pay for trails and lanes for cyclists.