FG Music League Season 2

Alternative pick for Round 5 is the usual:

View: https://open.spotify.com/track/02W31H8vb0J2f2KUG9HDgK?si=da1398ea52104ba1
Last week, Oslo’s Helvete record store, central meeting place of the 90s Norwegian black metal scene, burned down. It speaks of the notoriety of Burzum’s Varg Vikernes that basically any commentary I’ve read goes along the lines of “It would be so fun if Varg did it.”

But aside from the arson, the murder, and the fascism, one has to concede that Burzum’s early albums were hugely influential way beyond Black Metal and dungeon synth. Dark ambient, shoegaze, even dream pop owe a huge debt to these early no-fi releases.

So that ends season two of Music League. Interesting.

So that ends season two of Music League. Interesting.

I would prefer a reduction of upvotes snd more downvotes. I was spending as much upvotes as i could most of these rounds. It felt muted or handicapped having only 2 down votes allowed this round.

I would go the other way round - if we assume this is actually about passion for music and what one genuinely likes and maybe has an emotional connection to, not "how can I pick the most meme-y fun entry", downvotes are bad because we should not put down people's passion. I feel so even with the strong opinions I have posted.

What I find super disappointing is the lack of not only voting, but also submission comments from some participants. Why play if you don't even take the time to put a few words in to provide background and inspiration? Like "voting from memory within ten minutes because one knows the songs instead of listening", which also begs the question of why play?

I for example still would love to understand @eizbaer 's definition of "legendary"...

Edit:
Also also, while I was pondering for more options for that round, I realised I could've done the whole season with bands from my town. I shall post such set, once the season is over.

As mentioned earlier. Granted, this spans the joined municipalities of United Kouvostoliitto, which all members are happy to take part in.

ROUND 1​

The Local Band​

Kuudelta - In Your Dreams

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJiM80HoBRo

I was tempted to post something Very local and personal, as my sister made this music video, on my mothers’s company premises. Their guitarist is one of my friends and when they were younger I used to haul them to gigs, before they were old enough to get their licences. But them being 15-16 when composing those songs shows a bit.

Anyway, just like IKINÄ, which I posted in the league, Kuudelta is also has/had their training spot some 1 - 1.5km from my place, so I took the round description very literally. And as I live by a river and there’s a small riverside festival on the other shore, I’ve once seen their gig, watching from the other shore, while picking berries in a nice secluded strip of the shoreline.

ROUND 2

Do you speak-a-my-language?​

Viikate - Karmiini Juhlasali

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8UPbKeoyUw
I hadn’t thought of their style this way, but from the start they’ve had a few distinguishing features. Firstly, that guitar sound. Secondly, the sombre lyrical content and singing style, which is very akin to the local schlager music (apparently that’s how it translates. needed some googling to help with that). As seems to be the case with so much music that I listen to, they made their big break around mid 90s. And despite their very locked in style, they still manage to produce songs I really like. A lot of their appeal to me is in the lyrics. With the amount of figure of speech and metaphors you’d need to be fairly adept in Finnish to get the full story of many of their songs, but I feel they’re worth checking out even without the linguistic knowledge.

ROUND 3

Legen(waitforit)dary!!!​

Peer Günt - Bad Boys Are Here

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmUI6hki4DE
One of the originals, putting an international spin on their music, inspiring future generations that something like this could actually come from Finland. Unfortunately the stereotypical rock’n’roll lifestyle also destroyed several members rather fast. Not the style of music I listen to often, but they’re influential enough for me to be very aware of them still.

ROUND 4

Eurotrashvision​

Norma John - Blackbird

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTLczT5h9Lo
This falls out of my usual specs of something I would listen to. But it came up when I got this home town origin idea and was searching for all things music around here. And as I learned after the round in the league, this would’ve been a more “valid” entry, as the made to the play-offs, which was a feature of ESC I wasn’t aware of.

ROUND 5

Ich bin ein Ausländer​

Upendra Siriwardana - Vijja Devi

View: https://youtu.be/dXUCRgeu2Z0
Bit of a stretch, as she moved here last year, but still. She did rather well in The Voice, Sri Lanka a few years ago and probably not surprisingly she’s been active with the local cultural centre, encouraging immigrant youths to get into music. I’d prefer this cover cover in English, but it doesn’t fit in the specs of the round.

I would prefer no lower limit on voting. There were some rounds where I was at 8/16 for upvotes but also 8/2 for downvotes. :ROFLMAO:

@Andeh how did you link the reggae with me? I consciously avoid going for metal/general dark stuff after @Misrabelle linked the Laibach to me in round two...

I would prefer no lower limit on voting. There were some rounds where I was at 8/16 for upvotes but also 8/2 for downvotes. :ROFLMAO:

You‘re a special case. :)

But i would like a bit more balance between up and downvotes.

You‘re a special case. :)

But i would like a bit more balance between up and downvotes.
Like most most of us. Unfortunately the platform doesn't allow any flexibility, so depending on round the vote count will always be inadequate for some. With such a rigid structure somebody will always complain. I prefer the positive emphasis on points for the reasons @Dr_Grip mentioned.

@Andeh how did you link the reggae with me? I consciously avoid going for metal/general dark stuff after @Misrabelle linked the Laibach to me in round two...

Despite the genre, your submissions are usually fairly easy to guess. Just the style of the description would do, but like me you try to find something less obvious and (unlike me, most times) something with a deeper meaning in some way. And while I don't always reward your entries with points, I've always found them interesting. Apart from Hanoi Rocks. 😋

Last edited:
I for example still would love to understand @eizbaer 's definition of "legendary"...
subtitle:
Bands that are kind of a big deal, from your country.
neither legendary nor big deal is further defined, but I figured going with the best-sold German artist worldwide and a song that everyone can sing along to would satisfy that requirement. I am sorry for not accounting for your irrational hatred of the song, but only a little bit... :|

@eizbaer: The Scorpions definitely fit the brief.
I think he meant (and I have also asked this before) why you considered my choice of Die Ärzte not worthy. Worldwide recognition wasn't a requirement. ;)

@eizbaer: The Scorpions definitely fit the brief.
I think he meant (and I have also asked this before) why you considered my choice of Die Ärzte not worthy. Worldwide recognition wasn't a requirement. ;)
This basically @eizbaer - you were very vocal about 2/3 of the choices not fitting the brief by your assessment, that's what makes me wonder.

That the Scorpions fit the brief is true. In the same vein, You're my heart you're my soul was playing on the radio at the lunch restaurant today. Same category of "fits the brief, but the less there is said about it the better."

In the same vein, You're my heart you're my soul was playing on the radio at the lunch restaurant today. Same category of "fits the brief, but the less there is said about it the better."
Hahahaha that did actually end up on the discard pile... :p I figured that would be too strong a contender for last place / all the minus.

Yeah I'll admit I somehow didn't think all the variations of what may or not be legendary or big deal all the way through. Also: I don't think I take this whole thing as seriously as some / a lot of the rest of you do.

Also: I don't think I take this whole thing as seriously as some / a lot of the rest of you do.
One of many things that are sources of debate with the whole thing. Since we're playing the league with next to no rules, different adaptations are bound to happen. Few themes I've picked at least are just something that fits description, playing to win which results to common denominator picks. Trolling / getting laughs, my chosen option of trying to pick something most people hopefully haven't heard and Herr Doktors musical history/relevance. Each have their own challenges and not surprisingly judging all of that on the same list can be tricky. But as long as people listen through the list and find something enjoyable, I'm having fun still.

I also found it funny that I was last on the first season, but 4th on the second. Different audience, I guess, as my intention of introducing new music hasn't changed.

Despite the genre, your submissions are usually fairly easy to guess. Just the style of the description would do, but like me you try to find something less obvious and (unlike me, most times) something with a deeper meaning in some way.
Same here, the description alone was enough to know it who it was from.

I'm curious to know how @93Flareside linked me to my submission in the last round.

Same here, the description alone was enough to know it who it was from.

I'm curious to know how @93Flareside linked me to my submission in the last round.
What, Die Antwoord? Ive only seen you share their tracks in the chat groups and you’ve mentioned you‘re a fan of them.