Ford Doctors Mechanical Aptitude Test

hahaha. 66%. I am so non-engineeringly minded it's not funny. That's why I do business.

70%. If only I had paid a bit more attention to the electricity unit in physics :p

I found most of the pulley and gear questions pretty simple as I just need to imagine them in my head :)

Oh, and for the record, I selected a wrong answer completely by accident when I knew what the correct answer was ;)

Last edited:
Got a 74%, not as good as I thought I'd do, here's the one's I missed:

Q7 - Mixed up Reverse and Overdrive.
Q8 - Got the rotation backwards on the planet gears.
Q15 - I was thinking one pulley reduced force necessary by half, Doh!
Q17 - Same problem as 15.
Q19 - Made my brain hurt.
Q26 - I selected three, I guess the only way I'll know how it works is build one.
Q35 - Ugh, selected reciprocal, not sure what I was thinking.
Q37 - Duh, selected A, which is completely backwards.
Q38 - Got the rotation wrong.
Q42 - Got the separation wrong.
Q44 - Wasn't paying enough attention.
Q45 - Again, wasn't paying enough attention.
Q48 - Anyone who has ever put there finger over a spark plug hole while a piston travels down knows it creates a suction.

380 points
78%

I expected to do much worse, since I had no Idea about the electrical stuff.

It was below 100%. Dismal, considering I went to school for two years to be an automotive technician. Course, I graduated 11 years ago. :p

92%

But I am a Mechanical Engineering Student, so that might be unfair to compare.

The ones I messed up:
Q11, whoops, hard to see with it just drawn.
Q14, missed #8, seems unfair to have so many for one question
Q38, I thought they meant in reference to the fan itself, not as they are aligned
Q45, they show them as if they are in the same atmosphere, so pressure would be the same, pic is just misleading

As far as some you all had trouble with. Yes the bypassed bulb would still get some voltage so it may still glow. I agree that was BS.

And technically, there is no such thing as suction. Sure, gage pressure would be vacuum, but the absolute would be the 14.7PSI of atmosphere minus the gage. Nothing wrong with suction, I agree, but really, it doesn't exist. Still a trick question really.

72% Not horrible, but not stellar either.

66%.

There's a reason why I got out of engineering...

480 points - 96%, but I don't agree with the two questions they scored me wrong on:

Q38 - I could have sworn I picked the middle option for the other fan rotating in the same direction, but it said I picked "opposite direction."
Q48 - This is another one of those high school physics hypercorrections, like saying there's no such thing as a centrifugal force. Fluid is flowing due to a pressure difference, so the correct answer would have been to select b and c. Neither answer on its own is correct. It's like choosing which terminal of a battery is the one that creates the voltage. :roll:

I also have to call foul on question #42. I said the oil would be on top of the water because I knew that was the answer they wanted, but in reality some oils are heavier than water, so they'd sink to the bottom.

92%

The Toyota questions we get are harder though

My errors:
Q38: selected C instead of B
Q39: selected D instead of B
Q48: selected B instead of C, here i realised my error. In physics there is no such thing as suction, just like there is no such thing as cold. Both are defined by the absence of something, being pressure and heat, respectively. The piston going down creates a lower than atmospheric pressure in the cylinder, thus the air is pushed in by the atmospheric pressure outside the cylinder.

Last edited:
After a little research, I'm changing my position slightly on question 48:

After consulting a dictionary, I'd say the correct answer to #48 is just b).
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=suction said:
2. suc?tion - the force that, by a pressure differential, attracts a substance or object to the region of lower pressure.

The key term there is "pressure differential." The fact that there's atmospheric pressure outside the cylinder doesn't matter, all that matters is that the pressure inside the cylinder is less than the pressure outside of it, which is only mentioned in answer b), so the test is just flat out wrong.