Ford Mondeo XR5 Turbo Spy Shots

Does that Thing need a rear diffuser or is it just for show? Looks stupid (only the rear diffusor) on a 4 Door-Saloon.

Whats euro about the plates?

Peugeot snatched the XR here and used it on the cheapest, most basic car.

QLD has had the Euro Style plates for about 5 years. That is just a guess i haven't actually got any information to confirm that. We just got a new type of euro plate to. You can see some of the different types below, and create your own plate and check if its available from this website.
http://www.ppq.com.au/CreateAPlate.aspx

Here is an example of the new style of euro plate the new one is on the right, the Old type is on the left.
EURO%20STAMPS.jpg

I was also under the impression that QLD does have the largest range of different themed, and styles of plates. Apparently we have over 100 different types. Here is just a few of them.

3x3.gif

We have a few v8 supercar ones
v8supercarsWhiteStandardNoSeperatorVVR32.gif

a long with Indy, and of course NRL, and AFL Ones
FPVWhiteStandardNoSeperator044AAA.gif

Last edited:
Whats euro about the plates?

Peugeot snatched the XR here and used it on the cheapest, most basic car.

Quite simply, they're plates that look like the Euro plates, and are the same size as the Euro plates, so they'll fit into the numberplate spaces in European cars.

The Vicroads Website said:
Why are they called Euro Plates?
Euro Plates are made to the same specifications as those sold in the European Union, so they are specifically designed to fit the cut outs in the bodywork of European cars. European Plates typically have a fixed area or country identifier e.g. M for Munich or V for Victoria, followed by a coloured government logo, two letters and three numbers.

What are the dimensions of a Euro Plate?
Euro Plates are available in both standard and mini size.

* Standard Euro Plates are 520mm wide and 112mm high.
* Mini Euro Plates are 372mm wide and 100mm high.

By the way, normal Australian plates are 372mm by 134mm, and slimline ones (only available in some states) are 372x100mm.

Oh, the XR5 has now been released (along with the rest of the range). Actually, $41,990 isn't too bad a price. Then again, it's only a couple of thousand (if that) less than an XR6 Turbo Falcon with 245kW.

That's going to be the main obstacle for the Mondeo in Australia, the fact that the bigger, more powerful Falcon is not much more expensive. Then again, it's not much bigger, the Falcon's a fairly old car, and it uses more petrol.

Of course, $29,990 for the base LX Mondeo is a very good price, shame the only manual in the whole range is in the XR5.

Oh, and before the Americans do their expected 'why don't we get that here', remember that they'd struggle to get it much below $25,000, and I doubt it'd sell compared to an $18K Camry, at least, not with a Ford badge. I've said before that the way to go is import the Euro Fords with a Mercury badge, but meh.

On a side note: why is Holden repeating the mistakes Ford made in North America? They are replacing europeen models (Corsa and Vectra) with shitty cars from South Korea? I'm just wondering:?

On a side note: why is Holden repeating the mistakes Ford made in North America? They are replacing europeen models (Corsa and Vectra) with shitty cars from South Korea? I'm just wondering:?

As said before, it's because the Corsa and Vectra were too expensive.

Would they make a profit with the Corsa with the 1.4L at ~?8500-9000? They didn't with the last Corsa, so they canned it and bought in the Daewoo-sourced Barina (with a 1.6), which is universally considered a POS.

The Vectra was a slow seller in its later model (03 onwards?), because Holden tried to price it to compete with the other Euros, rather than the Asian makers. A 2.2L Vectra cost about as much as a base Commodore at launch.

To be competitive in their class, the Corsa would have had to have had a 1.4L engine and start under $14K AUD and the Vectra would have had to start under $30K (with a 2.2L engine). Holden obviously thought it wasn't profitable.

The only Opel model we still have is the Astra, which sells better than the 'budget' Viva (which is $4000 cheaper).

In Australia, the Asian makers pretty much own the smaller car classes. The top two small cars are the Corolla and Mazda3. The top two superminis are the Yaris and the Getz. Of the top 10 manufacturers, only one is European, that's Volkswagen, and it's #10, and the majority of its sales comes from the South-African sourced Golf.

Last edited:
....shitty cars from South Korea....

lol obviously u know nothing about Korean cars. the only Asian car makers that should be called shitty is the Chinese for the poor build quality and safety.

the Hyundai Kia Automotive Group has come a REALLY long way since 5 yrs ago. theyre much more reliable and better built for safety. hell, they even have a RWD sports coupe coming out and r looking more towards sportiness than looking towards family oriented cars.

now if u wanna bring Daewoo into this, they dont count.:lol:

That is sexier then any Ford we get in North America right now. If Ford America imported the Mondeo I would jump ship to Ford right away. Too bad they wont do that...I guess I will have to move to Europe.

Obviously you don't know what Holden is selling in Australia:|

Obviously you don't know what Holden is selling in Australia:|

uh yeah, theyre selling rebadged Daewoo's. wow, 3 models. its not like the whole company is selling Korean cars. im willin to bet that the best selling Holden models in Aus arent the rebadged Daewoo's also.

isnt the Viva more of a Japanese car since its based off a Suzuki more than a Daewoo? the Epica and Barina r Korean though, being based off Daewoo's. it wont be like this for long though. since Daewoo was bought out by GM, Daewoo's r gonna be slowly filtered out of the GM lineup.

uh yeah, theyre selling rebadged Daewoo's. wow, 3 models. its not like the whole company is selling Korean cars. im willin to bet that the best selling Holden models in Aus arent the rebadged Daewoo's also.

isnt the Viva more of a Japanese car since its based off a Suzuki more than a Daewoo? the Epica and Barina r Korean though, being based off Daewoo's. it wont be like this for long though. since Daewoo was bought out by GM, Daewoo's r gonna be slowly filtered out of the GM lineup.

The Viva is Korean, it's a Daewoo assembled in Korea. The Viva/Lacetti is sold in Canada (And the US too.. unsure) as a Suzuki, but it's just rebadged. Suzuki and GM have ties to each other.

As for the Australia Holden Lineup

Astra - Opel designed, built in Belguim by Opel

Viva
Barina
Epica
Captiva - Daewoo designed (With local Holden input), built in Korea by Daewoo

Commodore/Calais (SWB Zeta)
Statesman/Caprice (LWB Zeta) - Holden designed, built in Adelaide, Australia by Holden