France invents new way of reducing pension payouts from 2011

AiR

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Bulgogi Knedliky 1.6 GDI (Hyundai i30)
Autoevolution said:
French Pedestrians Free to Cross the Street as They Please

A drivers' nightmare is beginning to unfold in France, where local lawmakers are planning to give pedestrians the power to cross the street where ever and when ever they like. The hand will replace the traffic light, the wave of the hand the color of the traffic light and, presumably, common sense will replace decade of regulations.

The new law which will be guiding traffic in France comes into effect on January 1, 2011. Among its many, many provisions, the one regarding the pedestrians stands out.

According to ouest-france.fr, French pedestrians will be allowed to cross the street at will, just by waving their hand as a means to express intent (we're not sure whether the French lawmakers devised a hand signaling system as well).

The drivers will be forced to comply to whatever the wave tells them. Otherwise, they face quite a hefty ticket (EUR135, $180) and some points added to the license.

According to French regulators, the pedestrian precedes vehicles on public roads. They believe that this new regulation will force drivers into moving at lower speeds and pay more attention to what is in front of them.

We have to admit we have no great understanding of how polite French people are with each other. But we bet our year's wages that both in France and elsewhere, such a regulation is likely to do more harm than good

Say a pedestrian crosses the street, you hit him, he says he waved, you say he didn't. No witnesses around. Who's right?
Sauce

Considering how hard it was to raise (are they even done yet?) the age of retirement to a amazingly high 62 years I think this is a stroke of genius! The french state will surely save loads of money as the pedestrian injuries rise by over nine thousand in 2011.

Genius I tell you! :lol:

Last edited:
Sauce

Considering how hard it was to raise (are they even done yet?) the age of retirement to a amazingly high 62 years I think this is a stroke of genius! The french state will surely save loads of money as the pedestrian injuries rise by over nine thousand in 2011.

Genius I tell you! :lol:

Injured people cost money, so that is no good. Dead people however save money :D

Injured people cost money, so that is no good. Dead people however save money :D

Conclusion : hit them hard enough! :p

Say a pedestrian crosses the street, you hit him, he says he waved, you say he didn't. No witnesses around. Who's right?

I can answer this : it's the pedestrian ,always, unless you can prove he had the intention to commit suicide. Yes it's like that here <_<

I drive almost everyday in Paris for my work as a IT technician , and this new rule will add another annoyance for the average driver : idiotic pedestrian plus idiotic scooters or bicycles.

Someone can block a major street for fun uniquely by waving his arm while standing on the curb , i can imagine thousand scenarios like this.

Or maybe i am too pessimistic , and common sense will prevail.

Would it be illegal to play pedestrian ping pong*?

* Cross the street, turn around, cross the street, turn around, ...

"France: It's full of morons!" :lmao: (This does not apply to French expatriates, as they are obviously not morons and indicated such by leaving the country.)

Of course, the French will note the inevitable results of this and instead of abolishing it as a bad idea, will instead require that all car front ends have 3' of Nerf foam on them to prevent injury to pedestrians.

(This also proves that Euro, or at least French, pedestrians are dumber than American ones, as American ones would never push for this. :lol:)

Last edited:
I'm definitely not going back to France... I'm telling you...
Holy Moly what a country full of retards... their stupidity never cease to amaze me!

Next stop, Australia!!

Someone quick do the maths of how much extra gas is wasted by stopping and wasting all that kinetic energy (momentum) of the car and then engaging 1st and driving off again instead of keep driving and make the pedestrian wait/look for a zebra crossing...

Yes let's all throw away our current cars and purchase new ones with very filthy batteries all around them.