Gran Turismo 5

I won the nascar event with a 20 second lead over the 2nd placed nascar. But I used 5 TC and SFR (skid force recovery) and also I have almost driven on nothing other than Nurburging in the last month.

Would anyone be willing to trade nascars with my for a short period of time? Mine has to much power, that's all.

Mine had too much power also (892 hp), but I did a few of the Indy races from the Dream Car Championship and was exactly at 850 after 4 or 5 races. :)

I did the NASCAR at the Nurburgring challenge without too much trouble, and with no aids apart from ABS set to 1. I restarted a couple of times because I spun out/crashed, but it was very rewarding in the end to get gold on it without those cheap assists. I think the aerodynamics set to full helped me the most.

The Focus, Mustang, and RX-7 challenges are almost impossible to get gold on without Skid Recovery Force.

Just got a Driving Force GT for Christmas, now the game is even more awesomer than it was before :)

But damn, it's quite a bit harder to play than with the gamepad!

Mine had too much power also (892 hp), but I did a few of the Indy races from the Dream Car Championship and was exactly at 850 after 4 or 5 races. :)

I did the NASCAR at the Nurburgring challenge without too much trouble, and with no aids apart from ABS set to 1. I restarted a couple of times because I spun out/crashed, but it was very rewarding in the end to get gold on it without those cheap assists. I think the aerodynamics set to full helped me the most.

The Focus, Mustang, and RX-7 challenges are almost impossible to get gold on without Skid Recovery Force.

Thanks for the tip. I know the Focus one is possible because I saw a video of someone doing it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how they can go so fast.

Just remember Monster HDMI cables are a load of bull****, theres no difference between a $100 HDMI cable and the one I got for $2 on the internet :p

My gaming screen, an old 23 inch monitor, only has VGA. So I'm getting component, which I'll plug into a VGA adapter that I have.

I'd love to have HDMI but that would require a new screen.

Thanks for the tip. I know the Focus one is possible because I saw a video of someone doing it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how they can go so fast.

It's pretty much impossible to do the Focus one without SRF on and a bit of tuning. I forgot what I did exactly but I believe I stiffened the shocks and dropped the ride height a bit. I ended up catching the leader in the 2nd to last corner. He's faster accelerating but if you know the racing line you should be quicker in the corners.

The RX7 race I had trouble with, ended up cheating to win that one :/

I would go as far to claim that all the seasonal races are winnable without SFR. However, there is the absolute need to drive cleanly and to make close to no mistakes at all. That is a challenge, but that's the point of these races.

My tips:

• use the tuning you are allowed to use (suspension, gearbox, downforce)
  • set up the car for the individual track
  • suspension: good cornering (little understeer), stable on the straights, and most importantly: easily driveable! A tailhappy car may be fun, but when you need to be on the edge for five laps, too much of a handful will be very tricky. If you don't know how to do this, just go with the default settings of the racing suspension or find a good setup here.
  • gearbox: set the top speed so the car will rev up to a few hundred rpm before the redline in top gear on the fastest part of the track. Leave some rev-room for slipsteaming.
  • downforce: start with middle-ish settings (given the car can be equipped with adjustable downforce upgrades). Remember that downforce makes next to no difference in low speed corners, so set it up that you have an advantage in high-speed corners. Use as much as you need to have a stable car in high speed parts, but as little as possible to not decrease your top speed by too much.
Then start the race with accepting that you will not win this round. Get accustomed to the track, the behavior of your car and the strength of the individual opponents. After the race, alter the car's setup if necessary and race again. If you don't screw up big time and drive cleanly and focused on the task without trying to force it, you should be able to win.

General tip: use real world driving techniques. Work with the car, not against it. Slow in, fast out. Basically, watch how Jackie Steward teaches Captain Slow to drive a TVR 'round a track. Do the same things, and you're good.

Last edited:
Got the game and PS3 for Christmas and it's been a while since I've played PS so the game is a bit harder than I thought :D Races are easy but the special events are killing me. Training, training, I quess...

I so need to get a wheel for this game.

I also got the Focus event, on stock settings. Got the mini one first try. Havn't done the others.

Just found out that there's a credit limit of 20,000,000 credits in GT5. That's also the exact cost of the most expensive cars in the game. Unfortunately, every credit you earn above that figure will be discarded. Obviously the game will not warn you beforehand, it will instead tell you that you just did that hour-long endurace race for pretty much nothing after you've done it. And should you buy such an expensive car, you will have to do some more racing to buy tires for it or make an oil change. But it's all good, because you get ...

... wait for it ...

... THE PENNILESS TROPHY .... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! :dance:

That's some awesome game design right there! :yucky:

Penniless Throphy?!?
:lmao:
And holy shit, 20,000,000 is A LOT. Jeezus!

Just did the focus challenge without using the skid recovery cheat. :dance:

Did you use the same settings as the guy in the video?

Also, good luck on trying to gold the RX-7 challenge without SRF...;)

When I tried it, I was still a full 20 seconds behind the leader (Skyline) by the end of the 10th lap, but with SRF turned on, I was 10 seconds ahead. Frankly, I would rather simply turn on SRF to win a challenge and not spend hours trying to tweak the suspension, aerodynamics, etc.

It's not like I'm going to use SRF on every single race I do from now on; I'll only use it if I am seriously disadvantaged (like you are in the Focus, Mustang, and RX-7 challenges). I did both the Mini and NASCAR races without any assists. ;)

Last edited: