Great News for Ukanian Drivers - Free Brake Pads or Shoes for Life!

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Sounds too good to be true but Halfords Autocentres will replace your pads/shoes once (which you pay for) but regardless of how many times you change your car as long as you update your registration with their Brakes4Life register within 30 days of getting your new vehicle the offer still applies.

I didn't get this from Halfords themselves but from the Daily Telegraph Motoring Section.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...exclusive-free-parts-and-labour-for-life.html

Naturally they are doing this to generate more regular servicing traffic through their branches but since most of us have to pay for an annual service/MOT anyway I figured I should share.

Yeah I saw this through Auto Express. There must be a catch somewhere. This is Halfrauds after all.

Apparently not. I saw it elsewhere myself and thought it must be too good to be true but Mike Rutherford (the one in the Torygraph not the one who used to be in Genesis) seems to get his facts right and if you read the article he has delved pretty deep and made sure.

"We've fitted the pads, but your discs are fucked... that'll be ?800+VAT+Fitting."

Our local Halfords seems to be well run, if a tad expensive but not vastly so.

You get what you pay for - yes a good deal I think and I may well use it if and when I need it.

If similar offers in the US are any example, these will turn out to be the cheapest, nastiest pads or shoes they can get, which will often wear out rotors and drums quickly. Many other such outfits have also been discovered to find 'additional things wrong' that must be repaired - at inflated prices, of course.

If similar offers in the US are any example, these will turn out to be the cheapest, nastiest pads or shoes they can get, which will often wear out rotors and drums quickly. Many other such outfits have also been discovered to find 'additional things wrong' that must be repaired - at inflated prices, of course.

Which is why you get second opinion and another quote. Kwik Fit used to do this a lot and it took them well over a decade to shake that label - I went in for one tyre in 1991 and they tried to get me to replace all my shocks. Being a poor student I didn't do it at the time and sought advice elsewhere to be told there was nothing wrong with my shocks.

There is some smallprint:

Exclusions
? The lifetime replacement does not cover:
? wear indicator sensors or wires; or.
? pads or shoes for ceramic brakes.
? The lifetime replacement is not available for vehicles owned or leased by a company or driving school, or contract hire or rental vehicles (including taxis) and vehicles used for commercial purposes, track days or competitive sports.
? The free replacement pads only apply to the front or rear set that were originally changed. If both sets were changed it applies to both sets.
? The lifetime replacement is covered by a fair-use policy and may be withdrawn if there is regular, excessive wear, or you regularly bring in many different vehicles.
? If there is a dispute, the decision of the directors of Halfords Autocentres is final.

Yes, but as Clarkson well knows, Weetabix that has dried onto a bowl is the hardest substance known to man.

Random thought on the back of that. I am thinking of attending a Christmas church service this year just to see if the preacher can avoid the temptation to say "myrrh" in a Clarkson voice/style.

I'd probably be disappointed. I've been waiting for over a decade to fly on a British Airways plane flown by someone called Clive or Roger. :(

Last edited:
"We've fitted the pads, but your discs are fucked... that'll be ?800+VAT+Fitting."

No no no, when you replace break pads you need to replace the discs at the same time or the torque coupler circuit won't align with the prop cones.