Help my parents choose a new car

mgkdk

Aced mod training!
Car(s)
VW UP! Renault Clio
My parents have finally come to their senses and after the second citroen absolutely don't want a french car so they figured I was right when I told them not to buy those cars and asked me for suggestions for a new one as they have almost paid of their c4.
My dad asked about the volvo c30 as he really likes the quality of our volvo (well he didn't know the name of it and just said the smallest volvo :lol:) and how big it was compared to the c4, I guessed right in saying it was about the same size, he then asked about others around the same size and price and not french, I then got a little lost, mentioned the mazda 3 and civic but then couldn't think of others :? so help :D

Miata.

Kidding.

Do they know exactly what they're looking for? Kinda sounds like a med-small hatch.

Honestly I like the C30 the most out of the hatches I've tried. Reasonable to drive and overall a very good car.

Do they know exactly what they're looking for? Kinda sounds like a med-small hatch.

Honestly I like the C30 the most out of the hatches I've tried. Reasonable to drive and overall a very good car.

No they don't, that's why they asked me, but basically a small-ish car, think they prefer a 4-5 door but other than that :dunno:

absolutely don't want a french car

The new Citroen DS4 looks nice.

954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Attachments

• 954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg
    954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 46
So what kind of driving do they do? Do they need extra space from a hatchback or a wagon? What is their budget? Other than the Citroen, what other brands don't they want? Etc etc etc

Duh, Skoda Fabia. Theirs in sensible mid-level trim with the 1.2TSI for 169000.
Being Danish means the cheapest C30, the DRIVe, is 290102. Sure, it might be a Volvo instead of a Skoda, but it almost is twice the money :?
For that kind of cash they could get a mid-trim Octavia 1.4TSI DSG, or a manual Superb Comfort 1.4TSI... no contest unless they're made of money.

Last edited:
What is Ford's pricing like over there?

I'd go for a Focus if I could find one for the the right monies.

The new Focus starts at 251000 (n/a 1.6), with the smaller 1.6 EcoBoost it starts at 286000, if you go for the better of two available trim levels you're at 312000.
You can make it cost 500000 by choosing the big diesel and ticking several options :lol:

Last edited:
Damn, over here, Ford are usually one of the cheaper options.

Small-ish, practical, 4 doors, very not French :

2010_dodge_ram_2500.jpg

Sorry, it's in the contract.

Damn, over here, Ford are usually one of the cheaper options.

Denmark imposes huge taxes on cars. 105% for the bit up to 79000 (pre-taxes of course), and 180% beyond that. As a result, the gap between cheap (Skoda?) and mid-market (Ford?) grows because one dips more into the 180% section, and as a second result some manufacturers drop the pre-tax price in order to be competitive. For example, Skoda does while Audi does not.

Additionally, the Focus is a larger car than the Fabia, meaning it must take a larger hit from the 180% tax section. A sensibly-specced Fiesta (imo a bit smaller than a Fabia) is around 165000.

Last edited:
So what kind of driving do they do? Do they need extra space from a hatchback or a wagon? What is their budget? Other than the Citroen, what other brands don't they want? Etc etc etc

It's mostly city driving under 20 km trips, some longer trips but not that often. I think they would like a hatchback to have some space but they don't need a wagon, had one and it was too big, now that all 'us kids' have moved out it's 90% of the time only going to be the 2 of them. They basically got sick of citroen and included other french cars in that, other than that I don't think they have any they have crossed out, they had a toyota a looooong time ago and have had several mazdas.

Duh, Skoda Fabia. Theirs in sensible mid-level trim with the 1.2TSI for 169000.
Being Danish means the cheapest C30, the DRIVe, is 290102. Sure, it might be a Volvo instead of a Skoda, but it almost is twice the money :?
For that kind of cash they could get a mid-trim Octavia 1.4TSI DSG, or a manual Superb Comfort 1.4TSI... no contest unless they're made of money.

That actually could be a good car for them *puts on list*

I'd go for a Focus if I could find one for the the right monies.

I just thought of that too, as for prices/budget http://www.biltorvet.dk/Biler/NyeBiler/Maerke.aspx?type=person anything over 250000 would need a very good reason (yes i know the volvo is more but that was my dad suggesting it).

Any chance of going for a varebil?

They thought about that as they are also cheaper on the tax but they would still like to be able to have passengers, as would I because if they then needed to drive with more they would have to borrow our volvo.

They thought about that as they are also cheaper on the tax but they would still like to be able to have passengers, as would I because if they then needed to drive with more they would have to borrow our volvo.

They're not just cheaper, they're a LOT cheaper. Taking the Focus 1.6 EcoBoost Trend as an example, the regular car is 286000 while the varebil is 190000.
You can rent a lot of occasional cars for those rare trips, or bake a look of cookies in return for your Lolvo when you're saving 96000 (13k?, $18k) on a Focus.

Better Place car for the tax breaks if you're in the right area and don't drive long distances often. if not, skoda.

As far as I know, there are no tax breaks on e-cars here...

If I were them I would take a long hard look at KIAs lineup. The Cee'd and the new RIO are surprisingly solid offers here in DK and give great value and reliability for the money. On top of that your parents driving pattern should make the 7 year / 150.000 km full guarentee cover for a good while.

Biggest minus, as I see it, would be the slightly "grey" image and apperence of the car.

The Hyundai cars are practically the same but have a 5 year unlimited milage guarentee instead.