Help my parents choose a new car

Judging by that the car sits between the Fabia and the Focus... then there's fees for installing a charger in their home, monthly subscriptions, a lack of swapping stations anywhere near them, ...

I'm afraid it's too early for them.

As suggested or. ...

VW Golf, Polo or Honda Civic or Jazz perhaps. Toyota Yaris is a good small family car (not as good as a Honda). Suzuki Swift if they have a bit of ?lan about the place and do not just want an Euro-econo-box, bit small though.

Nissan Qasqai nice and big but not too expensive I hope. I'd look at diesels for a daily driver - could save money.

Oh and have some of this. ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfAWReBmxEs&feature=related

Last edited:
Your parents wants a Fabia, Polo, Corsa, Fiesta, Micra, Clio, Punto, Ibiza, i(x)20, new Picanto, Verso-S or Jazz. I tried figuring out how Denmarks green car incentives (Milj?bilsklass in Swedish) works but it seems that you only get lower tax (ejerafgift) which seems like a shitty deal (where's my tax breaks?) and it's calculated using km/l which is a unit measurement that is all wrong so I gave up. Y U NO l/100km like sensible nations!? :p

Petrol probably most reasonable with such short distances.

Or a Golf, Astra, Focus, Yeti, i30, SX4, cee?d, Auris, Meriva, 308, Leon, 3, Bravo or Giulietta if you want something larger/nicer/more expensive. I mean more more expensive. I looked up a BMW 520d, standard (=nothing) was close to a million SEK. :lol:

Difference on a i20 1.2 is better, only 144 900 DKK vs 129 900 SEK.

Last edited:
You also get lower registreringsafgift (luxury/car tax), 4000DKK per km/l possible over 16km/l (6.25l/100km) with a petrol car. Those are factored into the prices already though.

Hurst Hairy Oldsmobile Toronado. The safety of all wheel drive with the peace of mind knowing that if something goes wrong with the big block V8 in front you still have another one in the back!

web%2013.jpg

Last edited:
Then the taxes would be need to paid when you register the car in your own country. Few years back there was a case when one finnish athlete got a free Audi as a prize for winning ski jumping competition in Germany. He had to sell the car in Germany, because he did not have enough money to pay the required taxes to import it to Finland.

Vauxhall Opel?

FTFY, this isn't the UK.

A 5-door Astra starts at 215000, in mid-level trim with a 1.4 turbo it's 270000.

You guys are so close to each other, can't you just get your money exchanged to the country with the lowest priced vehicle and buy it there?

The luxury/car tax in Denmark is payable when you register the car. Buying it out of state would make it even more expensive, because you get the higher pre-tax prices AND the taxes.

It works the other way round, my Octavia was bought through Denmark. As a German I only have to pay German VAT, so I get lowish taxes and low pre-tax prices :D

Little hatchbacks cost $50,000? Holy shit.

Last edited:
I showed my ignorance there , I didn't know the Danes still had their own currency.

Even Americans should be able to tell that an Opel Astra is not 270000?, and should give a fellow American the benefit of the doubt of the same ability :tease:

The Euro has weakened a bit, but not by that much.

Even Americans should be able to tell that an Opel Astra is not 270000?, and should give a fellow American the benefit of the doubt of the same ability :tease:

Too many zeros without separators (whether ' , ' or ' . ') makes it hard to read the actual number. 270000? vs 270,000?.

Last edited:
Either way, I'm very sorry you guys have to pay so much.

I think I have reached a verdict, since the OP's parents are likely older than the OP, the Verso-S is the only car specifically targeted at that customer segment. It is, despite being a Toyota, sensibly priced and very practical and quite nice looking too. However if the parents are interested in teh C30, they might not care about the practicality and therefore should buy a Renault Megane Coup? or VW Scirocco. Or an Ariel Atom.

Either way, I'm very sorry you guys have to pay so much.

The money's not gone, it's just somewhere else. Great old age care, best handicapped life, great health system, high GDP per head, low unemployment, decent unemployment benefits, high degree of unionisation, high standard of living, low total national debt, usually dropping year by year (58% in 99, 27% in 2007, 41% in 2009)... what's not to like?

Sure, it's the exact opposite of the US... despite (because of?) that it works though.

Additionally, they came up with this.

AiR: 226000 is quite expensive compared to 169000 :tease:

Last edited:
But that's a fully specced (don't you go looking up what that actually means now) series version with metallic paint and 13hp more than a mid-level trim car without metallic paint avalible in limited pre-built quantities :tease:

Last edited:
The money's not gone, it's just somewhere else. Great old age care, best handicapped life, great health system, high GDP per head, low unemployment, decent unemployment benefits, high degree of unionization, high standard of living, low total national debt, usually dropping year by year (58% in 99, 27% in 2007, 41% in 2009)... what's not to like?

Sure, it's the exact opposite of the US... despite (because of?) that it works though.

Yeah but the cost of stuff is crazy...