Here's why many Americans think small "city cars" are a bad idea... NSFW, Graphic!

But ... not speaking in general, given the scenario at Hand (and that?s what I was talking about), I?d choose a crash-safe small Car over a crash-safe big Car. That?s what I was trying to say :)

I think in that particular scenario (high-speed onwards to a truck) any car with pneumatic liftoff, and parachutes, would be much, much safer. Easy to engineer, too. :lol:

No matter what you drive, hitting a truck head on is not a good idea.
Interesting arguement in this thread though, makes you think, but at the end of the day Trucks are not forgiving.
In the UK you would be going head on with something like this, Not a good idea.
full_rig_truck_contracts_uk.jpg

Road-train.....

0411_Pic_BulkTrans_02.jpg

road_train2.jpg

welcome_haulmore.jpg

164Road_Train.jpg

Here are some tips from a government website.....

Approaching Road Trains

* Huge trucks, known as road trains, can be the length of 10 cars
* Slow down and gently pull onto the shoulder of the road to allow the road train to pass
* If necessary, stop to let the road train pass

Overtaking a Road Train

* Don't expect the road train to move off the sealed road to let you pass
* Flash your headlights to warn the road train driver you are overtaking
* It can take up to 2.5 km to overtake a road train travelling at 100 km/h

Translated : Stay the fuck out of their way.

Last edited:
Ah, the reason Australia is for. :)
I remember reading about these some time back. They stop for nothing. If an animal gets in the way, they will not stop even if they would have the time and chance. If the road train is doing 60km/h it can run through a small wooden house with ease.

Road-train.....

0411_Pic_BulkTrans_02.jpg

road_train2.jpg

welcome_haulmore.jpg

164Road_Train.jpg

Here are some tips from a government website.....

Approaching Road Trains

* Huge trucks, known as road trains, can be the length of 10 cars
* Slow down and gently pull onto the shoulder of the road to allow the road train to pass
* If necessary, stop to let the road train pass

Overtaking a Road Train

* Don't expect the road train to move off the sealed road to let you pass
* Flash your headlights to warn the road train driver you are overtaking
* It can take up to 2.5 km to overtake a road train travelling at 100 km/h

Translated : Stay the fuck out of their way.
Time for a Merc CL600 and its amazing passing power! :lol:

I was expecting the pictures to be much more graphic.

Somebody wasn't malled or dismembered enough for your liking? Austere i hold nothing against you, but I'm having trouble understanding why you'd complain about something like that.

No matter what you drive, hitting a truck head on is not a good idea.
Interesting arguement in this thread though, makes you think, but at the end of the day Trucks are not forgiving.
In the UK you would be going head on with something like this, Not a good idea.
full_rig_truck_contracts_uk.jpg

Great but I think what I posted earlier (the Renault Magnum) is slightly bigger and cooler looking. But the Aussie road train even trumps Wannabe's "Peterbuilts":lol:

*reconsiders Mini-Cooper*

I'd rather have the open-casket funeral.

Last edited:
Good point for the car, but unfortunately not for you the driver, who want as much crumple/crush zone as possible.

Exactly! Isn't that the point of crumple zones, to absorb energy? There was a time when crumple zones didn't exist and cars were built as battering rams. Leaving the driver with all his squishy internal organs to take the full blow of the collision. Having a Smart car that doesn't deform means the fleshling inside is subjected to incredible forces.

Having a Smart car that doesn't deform means the fleshling inside is subjected to incredible forces.
That's true if you hit something that won't deform like a wall or big truck but if you hit another car the Smart is designed to use the other cars crumple zones.

Here it is hitting an S-Class:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dorFxMsfjU[/YOUTUBE]

I won't comment on how well that might work in the real world but it's certainly an interesting idea.

Yeah... head on collisions... fine, but what happens if the truck falls on top of the car? eh?

bad-news-03.JPG

edit, if image doesn't appear, visit: http://fullfilth.blogspot.com/2007/04/accident-nice-target.html

Those accidents are too rare to consider.
If you hit a big truck, it will most probably be head on and you will both be doing at least 60km/h. Big trucks don't often drive downtown where the speed limit is 40 or 50. Usually they drive on highways where they do at least 60 more probably 80km/h or 100km/h.

^ I think he meant it as a joke, what are the chances that a semi is going to fall on top of a car.

Yeah... head on collisions... fine, but what happens if the truck falls on top of the car? eh?
:lmao: You could probably pull that truck back up and drive it away.