Honda F1 For Sale / Pull Out?

I don't know - they would really have to discount the price. Aguri couldn't find backers and that was when the economy was better.

Plus they don't even have a sponsor!

Things are getting really really bad I've already had a couple of friends lose their job this month. :(

I'm so sad to see this team go :(

But if anyone is going to replace them, I hope it's David Richards so he can start his ProDrive team.

Plus they don't even have a sponsor!

That will be key to whether the team is bought or not. There's no point having a decent car that will apparently be good enough 'win races', decent drivers and workforce, etc, if there's no money coming in. Honda always glossed over their lack of sponsorship as something that wasn't a big issue, but clearly it was. And if the manufacturer couldn't find corporate backing, then what hope does an independent have, especially in the current financial climate?

It isnt such a big issue at the moment for other teams who have extensive portfolios to draw from. McLaren have Vodafone, Diageo, and the Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company. BMW have Petrobas, Intel, etc. Heck, even Williams have Lenovo and a few others.

Name the last big sponsor that has invested in F1 in recent years? I can only think of ING at Renault who bought into the team as the proposition of sponsoring Alonso and the World Champion team of the time was an attractive proposition. Even then they weren't entirely new to the sport, having sponsored a few Grand Prix events in the past. Honda have no such laurels on which to mount a sponsorship drive. Besides, like every other blue chip sponsor currently in F1, ING will not be immune from the financial crisis, and within the next year or so they'll be reconsidering their investment, along with many other top sponsors. But that's just one example.

The harsh reality is that the economic downturn of 2008 and beyond will hit F1 harder than it ever has done before. We've had these sorts of periods before such as the late eighties/early nineties which was largely responsible for Lotus, Brabham, Pacific, Simtek, etc going to the wall. It didn't matter so much as costs weren't quite so high then and people like Eddie Jordan and Peter Sauber could still buy in at a reasonable price. However, the manufacturer involvement of the late nineties has seen costs escalate on unprecedented scales which has priced pretty well everyone out unless they have a lot of money behind them (Dietrich Matersitch and Vijay Mallya) or manufacturer support (Toyota or BMW).

Now we have a situation where the manufacturers are under pressure (BMW have announced a sales dip, and GM, Chrysler and Ford are all feeling the pinch), and any other racing team simply doesnt have the money or infrastructure to build and run a Grand Prix team. I think it's quite likely that Renault will be the next to go, Williams are in perpetual financial limbo, and even Toyota are considering their bottom line.

So to sum up, I simply can't see anyone buying the Honda team unless they have a lot of money, which few people have, and are interested in F1 (even fewer). I'd like to know who these three interested buyers are, whom Nick Fry discussed in the above article. Hopefully they're people who can take the team and keep it solvent, and aren't the three people I mentioned in my earlier post. Hopefully Fry proves me wrong and finds a buyer...it'd be the first and only useful thing he'd have ever done.

I always thought Renault would be the first to leave (due to money) or Toyota (due to lack of results).

I just hope someone will buy the team, otherwise there will be a LOT of people suddenly out of a job.

By the way, good decision by Alonso to stay at Renault instead of going to Honda...

I just got back from school an hour ago and this happens?:blink:

Is the HondaF1 username up for sale? :whistle:

Weirdly that was the first thing I thought about when I heard the news. I miss that's guys unflapping dedication to an ambitous but massively rubbish team.
If only I had warned him and austere that the trip over Bermuda in vintage Grumman Avengers was a bad idea...

I think Max said quite directly that they are going to make it competitive. And since Max is the FIA I would be extremely surprised if that does not mean rule breaks for Cosworth to get there. Which is why I consider that plan really problematic, but since this topic is not about that I won't go into that.

It seems that the engine would be effectively the benchmark for the others so no manufacturer engines would be allowed to exceed it.

Nice work if you can get it...

Does anyone else think this wouldn't have happened if Alonso joined the team?

For the first time in my life I'm actually genuinely scared about the future of F1.

I agree, but I also think this might be the start for the big break for more cost-effective high end motorsport like the BTCC and WRC who have not had a decent major-manufacturer duel since the early 2000s. After all it costs a tiny fraction of the price to strip down a road car and run a sucessful works touring car/rally/GT team than spends billions on an F1 car team that almost never wins a race.

Much as I'd love to see F1 survive and thrive, it's got to change. Fast.

I don't think F1 will die, but it will change drastically. Or are these two things not entirely different? F1 as we know it may well be gone in a few years... :(

LOL! I just realized Donington's avatar! well done :D

As for buyers, maybe it's that Russian group that was looking at buying into super best friends?

I hope it's not another middle eastern group

I'd love to know how you go about getting the word out that you want to buy the team.

"Hello, Honda Customer Support, how may I direct your call?"
"Yes, I'd like to buy your Formula 1 team."

Some say that you don't even need an appointment... :D

Does anyone else think this wouldn't have happened if Alonso joined the team?

I think it still would have. I think technically speaking, aside from Toyota, Honda has spent the most out of it's own pocket running the team. They ran for two years without a title sponsor, and funding an F1 operation out of pocket like that is an extremely unlikely thing to do unless you're an eccentric billionaire.

I think having Alonso on board would have just added to cost (he would have been extremely expensive...), and the fact that Honda were not able to find a title sponsor for next year, pretty much sealed the nail in the coffin.

It's sad to see them go, but it won't be for long, they will be back (provided the standard engines don't come into place... fucking Max).

Honda F1 are For Sale. Must be sold by end of Jan 2009.
Official Honda statement at 4.30am Friday.

Yes not good for F1 this, especially with Toyota and Williams both financially vulnerable. Williams' buget is especially huge given the fact they consistently underpoerform, and finish among teams on a much smaller buget.

I think some costcutting needs to start for some. It has already started with Toyota cancelling the media launch for the 2009 car.

I agree, but I also think this might be the start for the big break for more cost-effective high end motorsport like the BTCC and WRC who have not had a decent major-manufacturer duel since the early 2000s. After all it costs a tiny fraction of the price to strip down a road car and run a sucessful works touring car/rally/GT team than spends billions on an F1 car team that almost never wins a race.

Much as I'd love to see F1 survive and thrive, it's got to change. Fast.

More importantly, at this point almost nothing in F1 is going to trickle down to the real money makers, the production cars. ELMS/ALMS and BTCC-type racing and what's learned there is directly applicable to the production cars and therefore is a lot easier to justify - its really R&D.

The news came as a complete shock when I heard it the other day, but I guess it is a smart move on Honda's part if they what to keep manufacturing road cars.

Hopefully Fry proves me wrong and finds a buyer...it'd be the first and only useful thing he'd have ever done.

:+1:

I haven't seen this week's top gear yet, did they say thing about this? Good for a few jokes I would think.