How To: Remove Tint From Door Glass/Side Windows

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
So, some asshat kid went through your neighborhood with a pellet gun and shot out a window on your car. Or you accidentally broke your window loading stuff into the car. Or you scratched your window by accident. Or, like me, you had the window lift hardware that is bonded to the window break off. Now you need a new glass panel, so you go to the junkyard and get a replacement. OEM glass, best quality, perfect fit... only problem is that someone has applied tint and the shade is all wrong or damaged and needs to come off - either to get to clean glass or to prep for re-tinting.

You could sit there and scrape away with a razor blade for hours and hours. You could sit there and try to remove it with a heat gun and get stuck scraping off the adhesive layer with a razor blade for hours. Or you could take the lazy way out and do it with minimum effort. Here's how.

What you need:
IMG_2787.JPG

One sheet of glass with tint needing to be removed.
One good sized bottle of cleaning ammonia, unscented.
One plastic garbage bag large enough to fit the sheet of glass into.
One outdoor area where you can work with ammonia without worrying much about the fumes or the surroundings.
One sun. (If your sun is unavailable, a 500W halogen work light suspended at at least one foot or about 30cm above the glass will do.)

IMG_2789.JPG

Several pads of 0000 grade (super-extra-fine) steel wool.
Glass cleaner containing ammonia.
One single edged razor blade.
Roll of paper towels or shop towels.
One bath or terry cloth towel (not shown) - preferably an old one because it's likely to get ammonia and glass cleaner on it..
Optional: gloves to avoid contact with ammonia.

Step 1: Place the glass in the bag with the tint side up. Place the bag on top of the towel on a level surface in the sun or under your 500W lamp, again keeping the tint side up.

Step 2: Open the bag, leaving the glass inside, and liberally douse the tint side with ammonia, so the entire surface is wet.

Step 3: Immediately close the bag and press down on the plastic so that the plastic clings to the wet tint surface.
IMG_2788.JPG

Step 4: Fold the bag over so little to no vapors or liquid can escape.

Step 5: Go do something else for an hour or two.

Step 6: Come back to the bag and open it up to expose a corner of the glass.
IMG_2791.JPG

Step 7: Attempt to lift a corner of the tint with your fingernails or the razor, like so:
IMG_2792.JPG

If it comes up easily, you are ready. If it doesn't, pour more ammonia on and go away for another hour.

Step 8: The film will begin to peel away in large chunks. Remove as much as you can by hand, using the razor to lift corners and such.
IMG_2793.JPG

The tint will tend to tear and shred, as you'd expect.
IMG_2794.JPG

Step 9: As you work, continuously spray the tint and glass with the ammoniated glass cleaner. This will keep the tint wet and the adhesive flexible as the ammonia you initially put on is busy evaporating.
IMG_2795.JPG

Step 10: Eventually you will be left with some pieces that want to stick to the glass. Use the razor blade to scrape up corners and continue to attempt to peel them off, using the glass cleaner to lubricate the razor on the glass. The glass cleaner will also serve to help float the tint free of the glass.
IMG_2796.JPG

Step 11: When you have removed all the tinted film, you will probably be left with some spots of remaining adhesive. Clean the glass with the cleaner and towels and inspect it to find any adhesive spots. Flood them with the glass cleaner, then use the steel wool (wetted with the cleaner) to polish them away; use the razor and cleaner to remove any large chunks.
IMG_2798.JPG

Step 12: Clean the glass with the towels and cleaner. Repeat step 11 if needed.
IMG_2797.JPG

Step 13: If the glass is clean of any residue, you're ready to install it!
IMG_2799.JPG

Aside from the waiting time, this whole process takes at most about 10 minutes. That's it! It took longer to write this than to do it.

cool. My approach would have been different, and even quicker though :

just get another non tinted piece of glass :p

I just peeled my car's tinting by hand very slowly, now adhesive residue or anything... Was I just lucky?

Hairdryer?

Will help remove the tint layer, not the adhesive. Hours of fun afterwards with razor scraping. Sometimes does the opposite and bakes the adhesive on. More hours of fun. :p

blow torch?

Aside from the objections above, can sometimes damage the window if not used properly, and can sometimes set old tint film on fire. While amusing if it's not your window, its not particularly useful if you want to remove the stuff as the melted tint may bond with your window.

I just peeled my car's tinting by hand very slowly, now adhesive residue or anything... Was I just lucky?

Yeah, or it wasn't a very good grade of tint. Most of the time in my experience the damn stuff won't come off so easily if they used a good grade or if it's been on there for years and years.

Last edited:
I've done the "peel it off on a hot day" (basically the hairdryer way), steaming the glue off, and this way and I will vote this way is by far the best and easiest.

The only thing that might be worth mentioning is if you get an actual scraping razor it is much easier on the fingers.
http://img11.imageshack.**/img11/290/lbm79050productjh5.jpg
They can be had for next to nothing. IMO the comfort gained with worth the 50 cents of plastic. Than again I have girly soft hands :lol:

I've done the "peel it off on a hot day" (basically the hairdryer way), steaming the glue off, and this way and I will vote this way is by far the best and easiest.

The only thing that might be worth mentioning is if you get an actual scraping razor it is much easier on the fingers.
http://img11.imageshack.**/img11/290/lbm79050productjh5.jpg
They can be had for next to nothing. IMO the comfort gained with worth the 50 cents of plastic. Than again I have girly soft hands :lol:

Yeah, those are good if you remember to get one ahead of time. I didn't and I couldn't find the last one I'd bought :p - so I just used one from the razor blade pack I keep in the toolbox.

cool. My approach would have been different, and even quicker though :

just get another non tinted piece of glass :p

I would have as well, if there were another non-tinted piece in the yard. There wasn't.

On the other hand, sometimes the tinted ones cost a lot less than the clean ones. Might as well save money, especially if you already have this sort of stuff sitting around.

You actually can do the same technique with the glass still in the car, you just have to shield the interior and use a spray bottle for the ammonia. The plastic bag should be cut into a sheet and you just press it on top of the wet glass and tint. Static cling will make it stick, though you might have to tape the top edge to the door frame or top of the window to keep it from sliding down.

You can use a similar technique to remove tint from rear windshields with defroster grids, but you have to be really careful with the razor and use the steel wool more.

Last edited:
You can also use a vinegar mix, it's not nearly as good as ammonia but it's better than just a razor and elbow grease if you are worried about using ammonia on your rear windows. Ammonia worked so good for me so I would rather spend 20 minutes laying plastic down than the extra time you would spend with the razor, but still it's an option.

Didn't feel like bonding on new hardware? It's really rather simple after the 3rd or 4th time.

[Someone has to know '69 Mustangs to get that]

New hardware isn't available anywhere that I could find. Nissan never sold it separately.

My existing hardware is broken beyond reliable repair.

Great read, despite the fact that I will never need to do this in my life, ever. :D