Idiots + cars = LOL

I'm confused why is he an idiot? I know they don't technically consider the 'ring to be a race track but it is a race track...
It's German traffic rules there during tourist drives, and those rules state explicitly that overtaking is done on the left. And from my own experience that's about the only rule that's really taken seriously on the 'Ring - and thus, nobody expects the Spanish undertaker.

That being said, I think a ban just for the maneuvre on the video is a bit harsh. Plus I wonder how the marshalls even knew about it.

Rules are rules, the ban was more than justified. I don't think that's harsh at all.

Also, just thinking about that his is his first (real life) lap ever at the Nordschleife, and he is going straight to the limit? Idiot.

That's what an extra minute out of your life?

Doing a kilometre at 90km/h takes only 40 seconds, so at most you'll save ten or so seconds if doing 120km/h otherwise.

:p

It's German traffic rules there during tourist drives, and those rules state explicitly that overtaking is done on the left. And from my own experience that's about the only rule that's really taken seriously on the 'Ring - and thus, nobody expects the Spanish undertaker.

That being said, I think a ban just for the maneuvre on the video is a bit harsh. Plus I wonder how the marshalls even knew about it.

There's plenty of honking after the overtake, so chances are he got reported to ze authorities.
If not a one-day ban, how should the clear violation of the agreed-upon ruleset be punished? They can't hand out fines, so bans are a good measure and one day is probably the lowest.

And nobody noticed that none of these fucking trucks keep a safe distance, as mandated by law?

They have to keep 2 arrows, or something of 50m, between each other, which they weren't!

And nobody noticed that none of these fucking trucks keep a safe distance, as mandated by law?

They have to keep 2 arrows, or something of 50m, between each other, which they weren't!

Those trucks all left huge distances :dunno:

Rules are rules, the ban was more than justified. I don't think that's harsh at all.

Also, just thinking about that his is his first (real life) lap ever at the Nordschleife, and he is going straight to the limit? Idiot.

His channel is full of Ring videos. He probably knows the track but should also be familiar with the rules...
http://youtu.be/u8jq1gpnI9E?t=4m56s

you should see what happens when you activate your indicator to overtake another lorry when highways are crowded but still fluid
everyone in the middle lane is driving faster than you, so have to hit the brakes. making the people behind also having to slow down, etc
than one of those who has already slowed down to 70, moves over the left lane, where people were driving 130-150kmh
almost forcing them to make an emergency stop

5 mins later you have a traffic jam...
and it all started because the lorry had to overtake someone driving as fast as him!
You know what else causes traffic jams and crashes? When last-chance-lane-cutters like you cut into a steady flow of vehicles who already lined up correctly. People like you force into gaps which do not exist and make other motorists brake, swerve and introduce extra agression where needn't be any.

Of course traffic is dangerous, but you make it more dangerous solely because you think that you somehow are above and more important than other motorists and want to save a couple of seconds. People die every day because they want to save a couple of seconds. How you can defend that is beyond my understanding.

Last edited:
he can push as hard as he wants, but not while putting others around him in danger.

That's a pretty stupid rule...

- - - Updated - - -

Again it's a race track, whatever they want to officially call it doesn't make it anything but one. What makes you think it was anywhere near the guy's limit?

- - - Updated - - -

Doing a kilometre at 90km/h takes only 40 seconds, so at most you'll save ten or so seconds if doing 120km/h otherwise.

:p
I knew that you'd calculate for me ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Again it's a race track, whatever they want to officially call it doesn't make it anything but one. What makes you think it was anywhere near the guy's limit?

...and by driving onto the road or race track, whatever, he agreed to said stupid or not rule. Don't like it? Don't agree to it, and hence don't enter the Nordschleife.

As for the actual stupidity, I agree with Dan. When cars' speeds differ greatly then it makes a lot of sense to order them left-to-right by speed.
When everyone's doing 65 +/- 2mph and people expect overtakes on either side then yeah, creep past wherever you like... but when speeds are vastly different and people don't expect overtakes on the right then it's not nice to have someone zoom past where you didn't expect them.
The key part here is the expectation of others. Everyone knows that rule, and almost everyone follows that over here - especially on the Nordschleife. Doing unexpected things is usually very bad for safety.

It's NOT a racetrack. It's a section of derestricted autobahn with a toll. Nowhere anywhere does it say it's a racetrack.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wow... I would have gotten out of the car and slapped whoever was in that ?koda.

It's NOT a racetrack. It's a section of derestricted autobahn with a toll. Nowhere anywhere does it say it's a racetrack.

It's not an Autobahn either, or did you see these signs at the entrance?

It's actually a Kraftfahrstra?e, one level below the Autobahn and signed like this:

Here's the actual sign at the main entrance (old style icon):

Legally it's derestricted because the lanes for each direction are separated from each other... which isn't hard for a one-way road.
The designation comes with implicit rules such as no stopping, no turning, no pedestrians, no bicycles, no traffic capable of top speeds under 60, ...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wow... I would have gotten out of the car and slapped whoever was in that ?koda.

:nod: deserved to be rammed off the road... but that would involve paperwork from here to the moon :(

Last edited:

Prizrak, have you ever been on the Nordschleife? During the Touristenfahrten it's not a race track.

It's a toll road without speed limits. Huge difference. ;) Although most people don't get this

[EDIT] Ooohh note to myself, refresh page before posting...

- - - Updated - - -

Let's keep it ontopic:

Ohh how I hate this video. Should've just rammed him away. Would even be legal.

almost daily...
there is never a traffic jam at my exit though!
I've passed a fair share of slow cars before an exit before but ONLY when I had perfect visibility! I've had to go past my exit once or twice because I didn't think it was safe to merge right.

AFAIK even during a trackday overtaking is generally done on the left.
WHY ARE WE DISAGREEING SO MUCH LATELY!?!?

Ohh how I hate this video. Should've just rammed him away. Would even be legal.
How in the world would it be legal to ram another car??

Because it's a fire truck on an emergency run and they are allowed to make room.

AFAIK even during a trackday overtaking is generally done on the left.
WHY ARE WE DISAGREEING SO MUCH LATELY!?!?
At a track day, passing is done where and how the rules of the track day designate. I have seen all of these rules in various combinations:

Only pass with a point.

Only pass on the straights (often specifically designated).

Only pass on the left.

The last - only pass on the left - is the least common in my experience. Generally, the rule is pass on designated straights with a point. For more advanced rungroups, sometimes it's pass anywhere with a point. For some advanced run groups, it's open passing (pass anywhere, no pass signal required). This is relatively rare, because it can result in people being pinched in the corners.

Touristfahren does not require a point. As a result, specifying passing as only on the left is a very good rule for predictability, particularly as it's the requirement on the roadways in the area. Being predictable helps avoid crashes and reduces the mental load on other drivers. Touristfahren sees a huge range in driver ability. for the less experienced driver, sticking to rules the drivers already know is best - it means their learned behaviors are correct, so if they panic and fall back on patterns, it'll be as un-bad as it can be.

Last edited: