Jalopnik calls out on Katwalk!

Whenever I actually do see a younger girl driving a Subaru the majority of the time they are very, very attractive. Plus they're driving a car that most other girls think is from Australia.. so they get extra points.
:lol: I used to think that when I was really young because of the whole Croc Dundee Outback advertising.

/does not compute

Americans think Subarus come from Australia? :?

On the other hand the worst engine is 1.4l and 75HP with 0-100km/h in 14,6s. :p

Oh no. My 1.0l VW Polo wins this - 50hp and 0-100km/h in...wait for it...19s.

...and that's according to VW. I've tried doing it and it was more like 21s. It gets fairly quick from 0 to 70km/h, but then from 70 to 100 you have to wait a little bit :)

How much does a Beetle weigh, and is it convenient to measure it in solar masses?
My 1.1 litre 106 allegedly does that in 13.7s, and it has no power at all.

The New Beetle convertible nominally weighs 3075lbs with a manual trans and 3153lbs with an automatic. The base hardtop weighs 2762lbs with a manual trans.

/does not compute

Americans think Subarus come from Australia? :?

Well, the thing is that Subaru had a long running and memorable ad campaign featuring Paul Hogan as Crocodile Dundee. Tends to confuse people.

Last edited:
Well, the thing is that Subaru had a long running and memorable ad campaign featuring Paul Hogan as Crocodile Dundee. Tends to confuse people.

Not only is he a tax cheat, but also a sell out! Woo!

The first Subaru I ever remember seeing was the Brat, which was an Ute. I used to think they were Australian too.

The New Beetle convertible nominally weighs 3075lbs with a manual trans and 3153lbs with an automatic. The base hardtop weighs 2762lbs with a manual trans..
1.4 tonnes? Crikey.
Incidentally, when googling the conversion, the first result was for the Learjet 35, and it's cargo capacity is the same as the weight for the automatic convertible Beetle....

Last edited:
Oh no. My 1.0l VW Polo wins this - 50hp and 0-100km/h in...wait for it...19s.

...and that's according to VW. I've tried doing it and it was more like 21s. It gets fairly quick from 0 to 70km/h, but then from 70 to 100 you have to wait a little bit :)

My 1970 Bug has a modified 1641cc that puts down a whopping 60+hp and I'm able to terrorize the 0-60 run in only 14 seconds which is an amazing improvement from 19s stock... I think it came with 58hp SAE Gross HP rating so probably a realistic 15hp bump over stock. Lets see any of you shave 5s off your 0-60 time with only 15hp. :D

I actually prefer a slow car with a rev happy lil motor in urban and suburban settings. It's not til I get on the highway or rural twisties that I crave more horsepower. :)

huh, when I was a little kid (like age 5) I thouht subaru came from brazil, because it had part of the brazilian flag as its logo.

My 1970 Bug has a modified 1641cc that puts down a whopping 60+hp and I'm able to terrorize the 0-60 run in only 14 seconds which is an amazing improvement from 19s stock... I think it came with 58hp SAE Gross HP rating so probably a realistic 15hp bump over stock. Lets see any of you shave 5s off your 0-60 time with only 15hp. :D

:lol: That's an even more pointless measure of performance than HP/L. Let's just say that some of us can't shave 5s off our 0-60 times with only 15hp because, realistically, we don't have 5s to shave off our 0-60 times :mrgreen:.

:lol: That's an even more pointless measure of performance than HP/L. Let's just say that some of us can't shave 5s off our 0-60 times with only 15hp because, realistically, we don't have 5s to shave off our 0-60 times :mrgreen:.

My 1.8T can... but it would need more like 1500hp to shave 5s off it's 0-60. :lol:

The New Beetle convertible nominally weighs 3075lbs with a manual trans and 3153lbs with an automatic. The base hardtop weighs 2762lbs with a manual trans.

Wow.... my car is 3400lbs and its so much bigger....

i actually wanna buy a New Beetle sometime, and spice it up a bit

either the New Beetle V5 Color Concept or the New Beetle RSi, the RSi being badass and having AWD and a 3.2 6 cyl engine... it's like the R32 of beetles.
20070404200154VolkswagenNewBeetleRSi.jpg

And why on earth would you choose that over the Golf R32 if I may ask ?

Woah....the current Mondeo, in estate form, weighs a bit over 3200 lbs, with the 1.6 engine, and it still manages 0-60 in 12.6 seconds....almost the same as the Beetle :blink:

How is it possible for the Beetle to take that long to 60 ?? Even if it is the convertible when an estate Mondeo with a smaller engine does almost the same. And in sedan form the Mondeo does it faster, just, with 12.3 seconds.

Last edited:
1. VW Beetle RSI
?It?s a girl?s car, the new Beetle, which is sort of OK, with half the world?s population being female. But the RSi version was trying to be a bloke?s car, leading to a nasty mix of testosterone, muscles and handbags. A bit like one of those pill-popping female shot putters from Bulgaria in fact. Not a pretty sight. Apparently they don?t handle very well either?
Harry Metcalfe

Oi! Every country has female shot putters and none of them look good. It's not just Bulgarian shot putters...