Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarkson loses his contract so it's time to burn down the BBC is it? I don't know if you're referring to the license fee model or government grants but I think thats a ridiculous suggestion none the less. I quite like that the BBC can do some of that "PC-Loving crap and teachable preaching shows" as you put it, it's much better then getting corporate propaganda and ridiculously biased news outlets from Rupert Murdoch.

No, I wanted to burn down the BBC's sanctimoniously preachy ivory tower *years* ago. This is just a great opportunity and illustration of how wretchedly screwed up the BBC actually is. Once again, I remind you that nobody at the BBC was fired despite aiding and abetting one of Britain's most prolific sexual predators (Savile) for *decades* - even though people who did this are *still there* and *still running the place.*

Think of this as well - by being government funded, the BBC's overbearingly biased programming and refusal to be balanced or even neutral is actually carrying out government suppression of free speech. How is government suppression of free speech a *good* thing again?

For that matter, where exactly *is* all of the freighterloads of money from the sales of Top Gear series to overseas markets going? Has anyone audited the BBC in a while?

Last edited:
No, I wanted to burn down the BBC's sanctimoniously preachy ivory tower *years* ago. This is just a great opportunity and illustration of how wretchedly screwed up the BBC actually is. Once again, I remind you that nobody at the BBC was fired despite aiding and abetting one of Britain's most prolific sexual predators (Savile) for *decades* - even though people who did this are *still there* and *still running the place.*

Think of this as well - by being government funded, the BBC's overbearingly biased programming and refusal to be balanced or even neutral is actually carrying out government suppression of free speech. How is government suppression of free speech a *good* thing again?

For that matter, where exactly *is* all of the freighterloads of money from the sales of Top Gear series to overseas markets going? Has anyone audited the BBC in a while?

The BBC is incredibly transparent and as unbiased as practically possible, they are a model for it. I believe you can even look up any BBC employees salary online.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2012.58.31%20pm.png

Theres some interesting stuff about the BBC in this video too.

Last edited:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/how-clarkson-got-himself-fired-and-what-happens-next/

I am so tired of so many people saying the bbc had no choice because they did. And if they had chosen another punishment, there would have been some unhappy people, but I bet the producer would not be in hiding or the bbc had would not be under 24 hr guard.

Bbc charter thing it's coming up. Top gear slot lost 3 mil views. Personally, I would still go for the bbc commercial free model. I will not watch tv with commercial anymore. Dvr our nothing for me, and that is beginning to be a pain just having to hit the button to skip the commercials.

As much as I hate saying it, the BBC really didn't have much choice.

Justly or not, Clarkson was on his final warning and he knew it. The BBC can't back down from something like that, a final warning is a final warning. To be honest, he got off easy, its not like he can't ever come back to the BBC. They just refused to renew his contract.

Clarkson assaulted a fellow employees, no getting around that. Violence in the workplace can't be accepted.

Could the BBC have handled the situation better? Yeah. The name of the producer in question should never have been released. The BBC head is the unfortunate victim of circumstances, he shouldn't be under watch, but he shouldn't be getting death threats for doing his job either.

I'm wondering whether I'm the only person who, for want of a better term, is just over Top Gear at this point. Yes, it was fun while it lasted, but surely we all knew that it had an end point. You can speculate all you like about how much longer it would have gone on, but there's very little that was new in the recent seasons. Be honest, how many people just watched it because it was a Top Gear? It was a known quantity, and it didn't really matter if it was groundbreaking or not. As long as it's not S14-esque badness, then all's good.

I won't be "over" Top Gear unless it fails to feel fresh and feature awesome cars~
Ambulance episode notwithstanding, Series 22 was outstanding, overall (imho)!!! <3

I'm wondering whether I'm the only person who, for want of a better term, is just over Top Gear at this point. Yes, it was fun while it lasted, but surely we all knew that it had an end point. You can speculate all you like about how much longer it would have gone on, but there's very little that was new in the recent seasons. Be honest, how many people just watched it because it was a Top Gear? It was a known quantity, and it didn't really matter if it was groundbreaking or not. As long as it's not S14-esque badness, then all's good.
That its fine. Go merrily on your way to find another program you like.

For me, there isn't one. Now it is not going to kill me not to have anything I really like to watch, but I would quite like to still have my tg, because there was never a show that I didn't like.

People I know love several shows that I just cannot watch. I can't even be polite company while they watch. In fact, I just get up and leave, but I would never say their program should not be on the television.

There are several programs I will watch if I stumbled upon them, but I usually have no idea what channel they are on, what day or time they come on, and if I miss a few weeks, no big deal. Can't say the same for top gear.

But if the show wasnt doing anything for you, move on. I don't think it will hurt anyone's feelings.

Last edited:

I don't understand, Are you upset with the BBC for being told not to talk to the cranks or are you upset that they've spoken to too many cranks.
I also suspect that your balanced migration site might not be as balanced as you say it is considering you've basically just linked me to an article that is effectively from the Daily Mail and they hate the BBC.

I'm wondering whether I'm the only person who, for want of a better term, is just over Top Gear at this point.

I'm only now getting around to actually watching the first two episodes of season 22, and there is something to that. So far, idea-wise, I once again get the feeling they are just re-hashing.

The images are great, make no mistake; they were probably filming on a higher level than ever before. In that respect, the outback episode was really stunning. But without original and witty new ideas, all that splendour does not amount to much, it just doesn't lead anywhere.

I don't understand, Are you upset with the BBC for being told not to talk to the cranks or are you upset that they've spoken to too many cranks.
I also suspect that your balanced migration site might not be as balanced as you say it is considering you've basically just linked me to an article that is effectively from the Daily Mail and they hate the BBC.

The point is that the BBC is unbiased only as long as you agree with their stance on matters such as these. "Climate sceptic"? Recognise immigration problems in Europe? Tough luck.

Ambulance episode notwithstanding

What? Still complaining about the pixellated Penis?

The ambulance ep is the best of the lot, so far.

If ITV (which also has Fifth Gear) don't do a deal, Netflix must be favourite, but streaming services are beginning to show more ads and product placements.

Channel 5 has Fifth Gear, and as far as I know that's independent. Anyway it's an interesting point about commercial television because say for example Peugeot pay for a lot of advertising time on the station, only to have "Top Gear" do a twenty minute segment on why Peugeots are as useful as an ejector seat in a helicopter - I can't imagine that would make them very happy. Also the show would go from a running time of 59 minutes - to probably 45 to insert ad breaks in an hour time slot. (Mind you SIARPC sucked 20 minutes out of TG most weeks anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.