Lucas sells Lucasfilm Ltd and Star Wars franchise for $4 billion...and Ep 7 announced

Don't see the point for episode 7 other than for Disney to make more money.

I welcome this just as much as I did with Disneys purchase of Marvel Comics. Disney hasn't done great with Marvel Comics and has been gradually interfering with the comic books to the point where I'm avoiding most of their books now.

If Disney retains Star Wars so it makes Legacy non canon I'll be less than impressed. The books and comics have covered the post Movie storyline. If Disney has any common sense (and I doubt that) they'll do something along the lines of KotOR.

I welcome this just as much as I did with Disneys purchase of Marvel Comics. Disney hasn't done great with Marvel Comics and has been gradually interfering with the comic books to the point where I'm avoiding most of their books now.

I haven't read Marvel comics titles much in recent years, can you please elaborate exactly how Disney's ownership has been affecting how the comic books are being written?

I haven't read Marvel comics titles much in recent years, can you please elaborate exactly how Disney's ownership has been affecting how the comic books are being written?

Marvel recently launched the Marvel NOW line which is mostly books which are aimed at the digital market, except its a carbon copy of what DC Comics has been doing for the last 12 or so months.
The lines of books are becoming increasingly complicated as well. Uncanny X-men has been cancelled despite a relaunch last year so they could do Uncanny Avengers. The books have been becoming increasingly fragmented (unlike DC which all share the same continuity) and they have been rapidly changing book titles making it difficult to keep track of specific titles.
Also you had this years Avengers vs X-Men event that while started off good dragged on too long over 12 issues and just purely so they could do tie in issues which didn't really advance the plot.
Not to mention the Marvel editors have gone for killing off major characters in the past year (Johnny Storm, Thor, Cable,Nightcrawler and others) only to return them from the dead a few months later.

Marvel recently launched the Marvel NOW line which is mostly books which are aimed at the digital market, except its a carbon copy of what DC Comics has been doing for the last 12 or so months.
The lines of books are becoming increasingly complicated as well. Uncanny X-men has been cancelled despite a relaunch last year so they could do Uncanny Avengers. The books have been becoming increasingly fragmented (unlike DC which all share the same continuity) and they have been rapidly changing book titles making it difficult to keep track of specific titles.
Also you had this years Avengers vs X-Men event that while started off good dragged on too long over 12 issues and just purely so they could do tie in issues which didn't really advance the plot.
Not to mention the Marvel editors have gone for killing off major characters in the past year (Johnny Storm, Thor, Cable,Nightcrawler and others) only to return them from the dead a few months later.

Thanks, I think I'll stay away from Marvel titles for a while.

And now they DC Universe has received its next major reboot, I feel like 'My' generation of DC comics is forever gone (basically starting with post Crisis DC to the end of this current era) and I'm no longer invested in the major DC titles either.

It's just what happens, doesn't it... Comic storylines sooner or later degenerate into some conflict that threatens the whole universe/fabric of space and time/whatever and we get a reboot. Can't really write a book on how the Flash went to get bread and Batman sat on his computers playing solitaire cos they already defeated everyone.

If Disney retains Star Wars so it makes Legacy non canon I'll be less than impressed. The books and comics have covered the post Movie storyline. If Disney has any common sense (and I doubt that) they'll do something along the lines of KotOR.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope if Disney does want to disregard all current canon, they do what was done with Star Trek: two timelines, the prime timeline, and the J.J. Abrams alternate timeline. In Star Wars, it would be the Truce at Bakura timeline and the movie's alternate timeline. That way, we as fans would still get to enjoy new entries into "our" timeline, and Disney can run with their timeline, and if it turns out to be shit, we can dismiss it as 'not the real story'.

Thanks, I think I'll stay away from Marvel titles for a while.

And now they DC Universe has received its next major reboot, I feel like 'My' generation of DC comics is forever gone (basically starting with post Crisis DC to the end of this current era) and I'm no longer invested in the major DC titles either.

While I'm still not completely happy with the DC reboot and what they did to some of the female characters (as well as Damian Wayne being Robin and the introduction of another new GL character). there are still some good storylines worth looking at, specifically the Batman: Night of the Owls, plus recently the Joker returned to Batman comics (he hadn't died, they just decided to give the character a break for a bit) and Green Lantern: Rise of the Third Army (where the guardians believe their GL corps has failed and decide to start again) as well.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope if Disney does want to disregard all current canon, they do what was done with Star Trek: two timelines, the prime timeline, and the J.J. Abrams alternate timeline. In Star Wars, it would be the Truce at Bakura timeline and the movie's alternate timeline. That way, we as fans would still get to enjoy new entries into "our" timeline, and Disney can run with their timeline, and if it turns out to be shit, we can dismiss it as 'not the real story'.

Thing is though, the Star Trek movies needed the reboot. The franchise had gotten stale over the years through continued tv show spin offs and the whole thing had gotten tired.
The beauty of the Star Wars universe is all the untapped storyline potential around the expanded universe. There's so much that has been unexplored that it doesn't make sense not to use it.
Additionally, Disney does have to tread careful ground here. If Episode 7 goes in a different direction than the books and comics that detailed what happened after the galactic civil war. It will piss off a lot of fans who have been reading them for so long.

Thing is though, the Star Trek movies needed the reboot. The franchise had gotten stale over the years through continued tv show spin offs and the whole thing had gotten tired.
The beauty of the Star Wars universe is all the untapped storyline potential around the expanded universe. There's so much that has been unexplored that it doesn't make sense not to use it.

Very true, however, at this point we can't stop the new movies from happening. And from some indications, we're getting a new story.

Additionally, Disney does have to tread careful ground here. If Episode 7 goes in a different direction than the books and comics that detailed what happened after the galactic civil war. It will piss off a lot of fans who have been reading them for so long.

This point brings us back to my original point, if they do go completely off the rails and make a whole new storyline, we as fans can go, 'Yeah, they exist, but they're not the real story.' That's what I meant by separating the timelines. Instead of there being a reboot, as in Star Trek, there's a distinct separation. Doesn't have to be an official separation, just something us grumpy fans can cling to. Of course, there's always the possibility they make a good trilogy. Wouldn't that be something?

If LucasArts controls Star Wars and there's, at best, very minor meddling on Disney's part, I'm optimistic. If Disney starts getting their hands dirty, it won't be good.

Lucas sells Lucasfilm Ltd and Star Wars franchise for $4 billion...and Ep 7 announced

While I'm still not completely happy with the DC reboot and what they did to some of the female characters (as well as Damian Wayne being Robin and the introduction of another new GL character). there are still some good storylines worth looking at, specifically the Batman: Night of the Owls, plus recently the Joker returned to Batman comics (he hadn't died, they just decided to give the character a break for a bit) and Green Lantern: Rise of the Third Army (where the guardians believe their GL corps has failed and decide to start again) as well.

I don't hate on DC because it is a normal part of their 20 yr cycle, the first gen Golden Age DC heroes got rebooted in the 1960s into their silver age incarnations, then those got rebooted by Crisis on Infinite Earths during the 1980s into their 'modern age' versions, which in turn now gor rebooted into the 'Milleniun age' versions for lack of a better term. And for better or worse each generation of DC fans have said 'screw you DC, my heroes are now dead, I'm out' but that's what happens when you need to draw in a fresh new crop of fans, can't be supported by 40-60 year old fans forever.

Hoo boy, this is going to be like the fake Back to the Future clock screenshot.

So, Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) is doing the screenplay for VII.

I need someone to tell me how to feel about that :p

At least there is hope, unlike if Lucas was "writing" it.

Stop giving them ideas. :shakefist: :idiot:

Although, if done as a comedy interpretation... :think:

[video=youtube;lHw0-6SqecI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHw0-6SqecI[/video]

Okay, not. :p
The Gayest Stormtroopers I have ever seen! NB not that is bad - just saying. ? Um unexpected.

So, Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) is doing the screenplay for VII.

I need someone to tell me how to feel about that :p

Those are two excellent movies (both 90+% in Rottentomatoes)... why not watch them and decide for yourself? :p

Those are two excellent movies (both 90+% in Rottentomatoes)... why not watch them and decide for yourself? :p

Well, yes, I'm a Big fan of Toy Story, so he's definitely proved that he can put together a great movie - but does that mean he can put together a great Star Wars movie? I have no idea, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Re: Lucas sells Lucasfilm Ep 7 announced

Re: Lucas sells Lucasfilm Ep 7 announced

^ I'm OK with watching a potentially 'excellent' movie, not sure why you aren't.