MLB '09 Regular Season Thread

I'm trying to watch this Dodger v Phils game and I just can't help but to think up ways to kill Chris Berman, it's all I can think about.

Last edited:
Video reviews FTW.

That was a foul ball, you dumbfuck ump!

Rickie Weeks is a double short of a cycle. I foresee "ambitious but rubbish" in Weeks' future.

Game was postponed today, so watching the Jays destroy the hapless White Sox will have to do. :p

I did happen to run across this though:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9574486/Coghlan-miffed-by-fan's-home-run-'ransom'

MILWAUKEE (AP) - The joy Florida Marlins rookie Chris Coghlan felt after hitting his first major league home run was tempered slightly by the hardball negotiations he went through to reclaim the souvenir.

Coghlan's home run was caught Wednesday night by a Milwaukee Brewers fan who refers to himself as "The Happy Youngster" and claims on his blog to have caught nearly 50 homers.

And while Coghlan said the fan was willing to give the ball back, the man's original asking price was a lot higher than the Marlins rookie outfielder anticipated.

"He wasn't the most polite or respectful guy about the whole process," Coghlan said Thursday. "He told me he goes around a lot and catches these balls and holds them for ransom ? even though he doesn't say that he does, it seems that way."

But the fan, Nick Yohanek, insisted Coghlan could have been more respectful to him.

"I explained that ballhawking is my hobby and that what I was asking in return was fair," Yohanek said Thursday, in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "I told him I make $50,000 a year working in law enforcement and that I didn't feel like I was asking for too much. He responded, 'Good for you.' Real classy. Way to respect law enforcement. Way to respect a fan."

Players who achieve personal milestones often want to keep the ball as a souvenir, and in all but the most high-profile cases ? such as a record-setting home run ball that might fetch big money at an auction ? it has become standard practice for the player to give the fan who caught it a souvenir such as a signed bat in return.

Coghlan said he gave the fan a signed bat and took a photo with him after Wednesday's game. As Coghlan discovered, that only seemed like a starting point for further negotiations.

"Then he wanted other things that I didn't think (were) fair," Coghlan said.

Coghlan said the fan also asked for tickets to one of the Marlins' upcoming games against the New York Yankees, along with a ball and signed bat from Coghlan's more famous Marlins teammate, Hanley Ramirez.

"I was trying to be as nice and respectful as I could," Coghlan said. "But I told him he could only get one."

Yohanek, who says he has caught a total of 49 home runs, offered a significantly different version of the episode.

Yohanek said his negotiations for the ball began with several members of the Marlins' staff ? and after his request for a Ramirez bat was turned down, he requested tickets not for the Yankees series, but for a Brewers-Marlins series at Florida in June.

"I had wanted to attend this series anyway," Yohanek said. "Considering (Marlins) attendance is barely over 15,000 nightly, I didn't feel like this was too much to ask."

Yohanek said he eventually handed over the ball for the promise of tickets to the Brewers-Marlins series, a bat with the inscription "To Nick, thanks for catching my 1st home run," and a photo with Coghlan.

"While posing for the photo, he said, 'You gonna give me the ball, man, or what?"' Yohanek said. "After he was given the home run ball, he stormed off without a word. Only to return and say, 'Why y'all gotta hold my ball for ransom?' I hold balls for ransom? Those are Chris Coghlan's words, not mine."
We have some pretty crazy ballhawks outside of Wrigley, but I hate guys like this who dive in front of kids to catch fouls. This is the very definition of douchebaggery.

Last edited:
^ I totally agree, I remember a story I heard a couple of years ago about this guy or someone similar. I like how the guy claims he just wanted the Hanley bat at first because I watched that game live and they had the guy on the screen and I don't remember exactly but he said something like "I want a Hanley bat" and he said a couple of things after that and said "we can start with that". Hopefully that guy takes one to the incisors someday.

On another note it looks like tonight it's me v. Phuckingduck....we'll see who wins....

Found the guy's blog.

I was pretty hard on the guy, but that "Cubs suck" ball really swayed me..... I hope he gets a broken bat to the face. :p

My sentiments can be summed up with: grown man + bringing glove to a game = lame.

We have some pretty crazy ballhawks outside of Wrigley, but I hate guys like this who dive in front of kids to catch fouls. This is the very definition of douchebaggery.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydt67lDtRsQ[/YOUTUBE]

Fucking Brian Wilson. He hasn't pitched well at ALL. 3 of his last 4 appearances he's had a blown save and 2 losses.

Wish we could get someone else.

Found the guy's blog.

I was pretty hard on the guy, but that "Cubs suck" ball really swayed me..... I hope he gets a broken bat to the face. :p

I read that and really, there are no winners here.

The guy is a douchebag for being so addicted about getting home run balls. And he'd probably take the items given to him for the ball and put them on ebay.

The Marlins are douches for saying one thing, then backtracking on it, and accusing the guy of being a liar.

So they all suck.

http://img199.imageshack.**/img199/6030/win.gif

Cubs win despite Gregg imploding in the ninth. <_< Wells with another solid outing; hasn't given up a run since being called up. Sadly, Googles Gregg stole the win from him. Oh well, that's 5 in a row.

I know Whappeh escaped to Africa to avoid watching the miserable Sox, but where's everyone else?

Rickie Weeks is out the rest of the season for the Brewers and we start a series against the Cards tomorrow. :)

gettin' abused by the M's....

Oh ok, I love watching baseball and will do so whenever possible even if that includes the MFyankees. Well tonight that includes listening to the inane Chris Berman, I mean really does everyone need a GD nickname and how the fuck does this guy still get work and how many nicknames does he need himself. Also if Jesse Crain has a slow delivery what the hell does it mean to say "He is as slow are Ichabod Crane", we get it you read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in jr. high. Fuck, I hate him so much but love baseball so much it is an internal struggle!!!

edit: hat choice B.

Teixeira and A-Rod are starting to heat up, huh?

I'd watch Dodgers/Mets now, but that pitching matchup is just god awful. :p

I would comment more, but I've given up on my team after they brought in a guy with no experience to manage the team and all that's done is create a players vs management situation.