Nissan GT-R vs Chevrolet ZR-1

I have no particular affection for either car, but it seems to me that the GT-R (along with previous GT-R) is always cheating to get a good lap (more boost that factory spec, semi-slicks, new paving, professional driver) and the Corvette always had sub-optimal conditions (regular driver, run flats, it rained, my dog ate my homework, groceries in the trunk, leafspringzlulz...). Gah, it it always the same everytime there is a new Corvette and/or a new Japanese sports car.

I have no particular affection for either car, but it seems to me that the GT-R (along with previous GT-R) is always cheating to get a good lap (more boost that factory spec, semi-slicks, new paving, professional driver) and the Corvette always had sub-optimal conditions (regular driver, run flats, it rained, my dog ate my homework, groceries in the trunk, leafspringzlulz...). Gah, it it always the same everytime there is a new Corvette and/or a new Japanese sports car.

Well the vette does have leaf springs...
And why wouldn't they use a professional driver?

So if we change the hood to pure CF will you like it?

I don't really like unpainted carbon fiber, either...dammit I'm anal :lol:

You didn't upset my sensitivities, I was just making sure that this slick tire talk is actually backed up by something. Otherwise, it's the usual chain of...

Person 1: "Dude, there's no way the Nissan did this time on the ring. It must have been on slicks!"

Person 2: "What, it was on slicks?"

Person 3: "I just heard they used slicks ... liars!"

Ok, well I'm not trying to get into an argument I was just presenting the possibility of what might explain the impossibly good lap time. I don't have the evidence in front of me so I'm not going to spout out claims. Instead I'll leave that up to those who carried on the first argument to give their evidence. I'm sure they'll make their prescence known eventually.

Ok, well I'm not trying to get into an argument I was just presenting the possibility of what might explain the impossibly good lap time. I don't have the evidence in front of me so I'm not going to spout out claims. Instead I'll leave that up to those who carried on the first argument to give their evidence. I'm sure they'll make their prescence known eventually.
Fair enough! :cheers:

I believe there was a pretty big debate on here awhile back as to how legitimate that time by the GTR actually is and there was some pretty convincing evidence that the GTR in fact ran slicks and not the run flats. Don't believe everything you see.
Well let's just clarify something there. The standard tires offered with the GT-R are Bridgestone Potenza RE070R, which is a soft compound road legal track day tire. It is essentially a cut slick tire, with a run-flat system built into them. There is also a more civil Dunlop tire on offer, but I have yet to see a GT-R test with a car equipped with these.

The same goes for the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires fitted to Porsche's 997 GT2, GT3 and RS. (Not offered with the Turbo) The E-46 BMW M3 CSL was also fitted with these. The Yokohama Advan A048 used by Lotus with the Exige and the 2 elleven, are also essentially cut slicks, but with less groves than either the Bridgestone or the Michelin option. The benefits with these tires are almost double the grip in dry conditions, whereas they get second to useless in wet conditions. They can take a bit of moist or damp conditions and still offer more grip than a regular road tire, but they are absolutely useless in standing water. Both the GT-R and the 997 GT3RS has recieved negative remarks directed at their manners in wet conditions.

If they ever have a "Pinks" show for Roadracing Challenges, on world class Roadracing courses and rigorous tech inspection criteria for compliance.

I would bet my money on the Corvette ZR1, bone stock kickin' ass on the Nissan GTR, bone stock, anytime, anywhere baby!!

I hear they spent millions of dollars to buy the Stig. When he could only eek a 7:42 out of the GT-R, they spent millions of additional dollars to re-animate the body of the late Stefan Bellof. So then the Stefan Bellof zombie set a 7:29 before Blind_Io Promptly shot it in the face. Then the Nissan Yakuza covered it all up. So really it's not a fair time at all, I mean with the driver being, "undead," and all.

Honestly though that's what Nurburgring times are like. There are sooo many factors like, driver, tires, track conditions, even what constitutes corner cutting. As much as the Nurburgring is the test of a car, these one off lap times don't mean much.

If they ever have a "Pinks" show for Roadracing Challenges, on world class Roadracing courses and rigorous tech inspection criteria for compliance.

I would bet my money on the Corvette ZR1, bone stock kickin' ass on the Nissan GTR, bone stock, anytime, anywhere baby!!

I'll give u 2 to 1 odds.

How the fuck can any of you 'vette fanboys be so stupid to think that thing can beat a Zonda, let alone a GTR.
The Ring and many other road courses will show that the ZR-1 is nothing more than old formula of "MORE POWER" to the american car of choice so they might have a shot at beating the rivals to the standard car (z06).
Obviously this is my heavily unproven opinion, but the facts are there to indicate that it should not be able to beat the GTR along with many other cars in it's class.
I guess I'll just have to wait for Chevy to release a video of it lapping the ring.... which they probably won't do themselves out of embarrassment :O

Last edited:

Why do people even bother comparing the two cars? the ZR1 as 140hp over the GTR.....

^Actually it has 90hp over the nissan

Sigh....look, idc about whoever says that the GTR has an underrated HP rating. The brochure says it has 480. Therefore 620-480=140.

Sigh....look, idc about whoever says that the GTR has an underrated HP rating. The brochure says it has 480. Therefore 620-480=140.

So.... reality is irrelevant now?

The brochure for the Tata Nano describes it as stylish...

Last edited:
Even if one of them is faster than the other, in the words of Metallica: So f*cking what?
I really don't understand this argument that has been going on all over the internet ZR1 vs GT-R. I would never buy a car just because it's the fastest on the Ring.
Neither the ZR1 or the GT-R are extremely good looking cars (I think we all agree on that) - the stock C6 looks much nicer than the ZR1, and the GT-R just looks...awkward. Would any of you buy one of them JUST because it's the fastest around the Nurburgring?

I'd say the ZR1 without that hood would be stunning (and no chromed rims please)! Other than that, I agree with you...

Even if one of them is faster than the other, in the words of Metallica: So f*cking what?
I really don't understand this argument that has been going on all over the internet ZR1 vs GT-R. I would never buy a car just because it's the fastest on the Ring.
Neither the ZR1 or the GT-R are extremely good looking cars (I think we all agree on that) - the stock C6 looks much nicer than the ZR1, and the GT-R just looks...awkward. Would any of you buy one of them JUST because it's the fastest around the Nurburgring?

It's friendly competition, like between Subaru and Mitsubishi and their AWD sports sedans. This is just a new rivalry between the Corvette and the GT-R.

Because that is what we do. Intel vs AMD, ATI vs nVidia, Linux vs Windows, STi vs Evo, Blonds vs Brunettes and so on. Yes no one in their right mind would ever consider a car based on the Ring times.

Hell as far as I'm concerned the GT-R is the least desirable car. If I want an extremely fast car that I can live with everyday I would get either the M series or the RS series. If I wanted a fun track car I would get an Exige S :)

Out of these two I would actually consider the ZR-1. There is something fun about a rediculously powerful RWD ;)