Our "own" car reviews

The handling was definitely the best part about the car, the buzzy drivetrain the worst, which I would have a hard time excusing if I was the one dropping 50k on the thing, even if it was the cheapest Porsche money could buy.

Normally you would buy such a car with a manual, it isn't made for an automatic. I have also driven roadsters with an automatic and it sucked everytime. These cars are all about you driving them and not them driving you.

And by the way: The ignition key always goes to the left of the steering wheel in a Porsche. Has always been that way since the first model, as far as I know ;) Same goes for the prominent rev counter in the middle.

Last edited:
I've never seen people's lights acting up as badly as that. Occasionally I see something where the indicators flash far too quickly. These are usually old Ford Falcons.

The French-made Ducellier coils fitted to late Jaguar XJ Series III cars require an external ballast resistor that the earlier Lucas coils didn't and fail more often than the earlier Lucas units.

Even new production ones.

I don't think the French have this whole electricity in cars thing figured out just yet...

That depends a bit. What I've figured out from forums (I don't read French car related problems much, the Pug is just bus replacement for me), it seems that they had mostly figured out how to make this thing called electronics work in beginning of the 90s. Some models got working electronics later than others, maybe some never did.

From my experience, which is limited to plenty of 406s (flatmate used to have one, other friend still does, my parents have one as a beater), there are only some issues which all cars have during about ten years (airbag connector under driver's seat needs cleaning, outside temp. sensors break. coolant fan sensor might break that causes the fan to start only when ECU forces it). Everything else shouldn't be a problem, so quite okay.

...and then the French heard about next challenge: CAN BUS. Back to the glory days. The last model year of the 406s had some kind of partial CAN BUS and already there were problems. Avoid. The next model, 407, had full CAN BUS. When the ABS sensor in the 407's rear axel breaks, the first indicator is non-working cruise control. So there is no redundancy, things happening somewhere affect something totally other. Maybe they fixed that already with a software update, I guess the hardware is still pretty okay, but I really don't know where they're today at new models. So I would definitely say that there are some problems, but not every case in all models throughout the history.

this is very true. Same for italian cars, only that's a tad worse even

The whole "it'll rust/explode/die on you if you don't spend a trillion on repairs" thing is just NOT true

Small update on that issue: It's a rainy, stormy day here (North sea weather) and just got home from shopping and had a car in front of me, where the indicators went on, when he used the brakes.

And it was..... pause for effect... a Renault Laguna.

Aight, I'll give it a go, ultra turbo version, very short. This is what I've driven for extended periods the last few years, feel free to ask if you want more details.

Golf R DSG: Awesome, awesome sound, awesome acceleration but controlled and very german. The R32 was more fun because of the noise. Had a race between lights with a Quattroporte in the R and can attest to the italiens be a bit loose regarding the truth and acceleration. The guy behind the wheel didn't look happy. I enjoyed it very much.

Passat R36: I didn't want to get in it, but wow. What a car. I'd probably never buy one because, you know, it's a Passat, sort of weird buying a fast Passat. Had DSG as well and for such a large car it had awesome handling. Off the line acceleration is a lot better than in the R, feels a lot faster even though it isn't. The navigation was brilliant.

BMW 135i coup?: brilliant, plenty of acceleration, having a hard time to decide between that and the R. What makes the most difference is the DSG-shift in the R, but the 135i feels more racy (probably due to the rwd) and it is sort of expensive compared to what you get.

BMW X5 35d xDrive: Loved it, swallowed a metric shit ton of fuel, just a completely stupid car in every way, but I'd love one. As any other BMW the cost of optional extras like the beautiful sunroof and comfort opening of the boot cost almost as much as the car itself. The two turbos send you off brilliantly.

BMW X1 20D sDrive (automatic): Most pointless thing I've ever driven. What a horrible car, but if you are careful you can really go far above the stated mileage, the engine is great. One of the few "cheaper" current BMW's that looks a bit different than the rest of the lineup. Check out the new 1' series, the front is a lot better than the old one, but for some reason they decided to stick the rear lights from a WV Polo on it.
The X1 got great reviews and people recommended you buy this over the 3 series. No. You shouldn't.

BMW X3 20D xDrive (automatic): A lot better looking and with the proper automatic gearbox but I'd still feel bad about not buying the X5 instead. Giving it a bit of speed on slippery surfaces and it loses control.

Opel Corsa OPC: Mean and angry little thing and I loved it and its snorting. The short wheel base and the mad feeling it gives during acceleration was brilliant. I'd buy one. The optional multimedia system was perfect and it is quite roomy if you fold the rear seats. I moved a couch in it.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV: Beautiful looking thing. Boring and impossible to find a comfortable position in the drivers seat, no room for passagers in the rear seat, doesn't feel particularly safe or controlled while going at speed. It revs out almost immediately when accelerating from 0, really frustrating. The sound it makes is great, but it creaks and cracks and it squealed every time I put the clutch down. It feels like it poorly built. I'd never buy one for any other reason that it is quite good looking and definitely never pay the extra for that tired engine in it.

Mazda MX5 1.8: Well now, here was a surprising thing. I loved it, a bit weird when you are tall, but what a feeling, roof down, curvy roads and the motorbike-ish sound it makes, wow, what a machine. I'd definitely buy one over the above because of handling and how fun it is to drive (oversteer is so easy and controlled, just a tiny flick of the wheel and you screech through the bends. If I didn't need to transport stuff around and the weather wasn't shitty most of the year I'd buy one.. Cheapest, best sportscar and will make you happy each time you get in it, especially if you have the roof down. Gay looking or not, which seems to be most people problem with it.

Renault M?gane RS 250 CUP: Trumps everything I've ever driven (price considered). On the track it's just insane, it grips the road with unbelievable force, the sound is awesome and it's very well built. The seats are perfect there is ample room on the rear seats and in the boot. The gear change is delicious, feels so mechanic, same goes for the steering. If any of you have a chance to take one of these for a test drive, please do. And remember to put it completely into sport mode or at least set the throttle to "Extreme". It may not be particularly pretty, but on the bendy roads it's faster than most cars and if you check out the laps times from Ring Nordschliefe the Trophy version has quite a nice lap time.

Seat Cupra R: Well, what can one say? It is fast, it is well built and the sound of it really sets it apart, sounds like the cars in old racing games, computerish. The steering is too loose and sensitive for my taste, like they forgot they were building a 265 horsepower GTI and just chose the steering from some random car. Choosing between and the M?gane RS is quite hard, but for pure driving and track pleasure, the Renault wins, no contest.

Renault Scenic 1.6 DCI: I'm mentioning this because I was quite astounded by the engine, it
doesn't make any dieselish sounds and the car is very comfortable and nice to drive compared to the older ones that were just awful, the suspension was horribly soft to a degree that felt dangerous. This new one, however, roomy, quiet, lots of nice extras. Good car actually.

Fiat 500 TwinAir: I used to hate the little, fashionable car seen on every corner but actually feel quite in love with it after having it for a while. Mostly due to the engine though, the puff-puff-puff lawnmower quality sounds it made. The engine is very spiffy. The fuel economy is terrible though.

Honda Jazz Hybrid (automatic): Well, it's quite interesting, very roomy and has a great color options and is sort of economic, I guess. The gearbox, the automatic CVT-thing, oh dear, what terrible racket from the depths of hell that thing makes during acceleration. I thought I'd broken it. You only ever try to accelerate hard once in this. I guess it's pretty good for the fuel economy, avoiding acceleration like you'd avoid swimming through shit. The gear selector also has, for some reason, a "sport"-setting.

Honda Accord Type S Tourer 2.2 diesel: Well, huuuuuge and roomy, plenty of clever little details and nice instrumentation and a nice steering wheel. It's an excellent drive for the every day commute. The aluminum gear knob will drive you insane on cold days. It's too slow and it's too expensive and boring but otherwise quite a good car.

That is it for now.

Last edited:
Small update on that issue: It's a rainy, stormy day here (North sea weather) and just got home from shopping and had a car in front of me, where the indicators went on, when he used the brakes.

I saw the same effect this morning on the drive to work, the Scenic in front of me slowed down to the traffic lights and the indicators shone constantly like brake lights should've had.

I saw the same effect this morning on the drive to work, the Scenic in front of me slowed down to the traffic lights and the indicators shone constantly like brake lights should've had.

I thought Renault had gotten rid of most of their electrical problems? True, the old ones were shit.

Grounding issue. There's enough ground to feed the 10 watts that's needed by the tail lights, but not enough when the driver steps on the brake bringing the power consumption up to 52 watts. Additional ground is then fed backwards though whatever is available, like the indicators, making the indicator bulbs glow in the process. Another typical sign of (a less serious) grounding issue is that the brake light and tail light dims down slightly when the indicator bulb comes on.

Then again, if it's a more modern Sc?nic with canbus and so forth, all bets are off. :lol:

On New Years Eve I saw a Hyundai Excel parked with all its indicators on solid, while the car was switched off. Next morning, still glowing however slightly dimmer.

On New Years Eve I saw a Hyundai Excel parked with all its indicators on solid, while the car was switched off. Next morning, still glowing however slightly dimmer.

Someone i parked next to on campus at my former (sorta-fall 2012, can't wait!) uni had a mint 1988 excel 4 door:

CC-26-015-800.jpg

Exactly like that but in black with a gold pinstripe. Same alloy wheels too. I was shocked and impressed at how nice it looked.

Remember who you're talking to. I bet "exactly like that" even includes the dent in the C pillar, and it only served to make it look even better to him. :p

Then it obviously wasn't an Excel.
Nope. Hand on heart, I even looked on the trunklid.
Remember who you're talking to. I bet "exactly like that" even includes the dent in the C pillar, and it only served to make it look even better to him. :p
:lol:

This is the sort I was referring to, seen here in its native environment:
Hyundai-Excel-X3-3-door-blue-002.jpg

Every Excel is excrement. Although if you were driving the Saturn at the time I can see why you'd admire one :p

Well, I don't have any experience with Renaults, but AFAIK they're the least reliable one. So don't make assumptions all French cars have common electrical problems just because Renault does. Hey, most German cars are pretty good even if some 90s Opels were horrible ;)

BTW, I saw a Laguna V6 (that's being advertised for sale, has annoying talking computer) moving under its own power. And it's a 1995.

BTW, I saw a Laguna V6 (that's being advertised for sale, has annoying talking computer) moving under its own power. And it's a 1995.
I have seen more Mk1 Lagunas advertised in a non-drivable condition than I have when they actually work. Most were automatics that said something like "only drives in reverse". :lol:

So, I got the chance to experience the Honda CR-Z today.

First impressions of the car are good. It looks striking, in an ugly sort of way. It got plenty of second glances, which is always nice, especially when many of them are attractive girls who openly gawk at the car.

Otherwise in sport mode it's not particularly fast, and when you put your foot down the CVT makes the car just go GRRRRRRRRRRRR at the same revs while you accelerate. It's very disconcerting and it sounded like the car was broken. In tree mode, it doesn't accelerate at all. The stop-start system is also frightening. I was stuck in traffic and the system was so jerky that I thought someone had run into the car. It gave me quite a shock. The road noise from the eco tyres is deafening, but the ride is passable.

On the plus side, it handles quite nicely indeed. The steering is direct and the centre of gravity low. But this is where I don't understand the point of a hybrid sports car - in the city, where the hybrid system is at its best giving you lovely electric efficiency, you don't have the chance to experience the grippy handling. When you do get the chance to throw it through some bends, the engine is no quicker than a normal hatchback, the CVT just makes the engine shout like it's being thrown around a rollercoaster. And, you get none of the efficiency benefits as you're on the petrol engine all the time. It seems to be a pretty bad compromise to me.

Inside the car, things go downhill even further. The dashboard is all cheap hard plastic, that doesn't fit together with the sort of quality you'd expect from a Honda. The stereo looks like an afterthought, like it's been picked up from the Aldi specials bin and shoved in at the last minute. The touchscreen works well and the Bluetooth is easy to set up, but the unit doesn't fit with the dash and the buttons are a special kind of cheap. The leather sports seats, while they look enticing, are dreadfully uncomfortable. They stick into the small of your back and create discomfort to the point where, combined with the depressing interior ambiance, you want to get out of the car as quickly as possible. And they don't even hold you in, in the corners. The only way you can be reduce the pain is by reclining the seat to the point where you probably should be wearing a baseball cap backwards, at which point you can't reach the steering wheel because it doesn't adjust for reach.

So now that your back isn't throbbing with pain, and you can't see where you're going (which doesn't matter because you can't steer anyway), you can focus on making your left leg fit under the dash. The seat is practically on the floor, which makes the car feel low and sporty, but the dashboard is also low so your knee always hits the dash, or more painfully, the steering column. It would probably be okay if you were short, but ergonomically, this is the worst car I have ever been in.

It would probably be more fun to drive and less disconcertingly shouty if it were a manual, but I don't know how that would work when you can't fit your left leg in the car. The back seats were more of a parcel shelf than actual seats, too. Even though the front seats looked good with leather and blue stitching, the back seats were plain, cheap black fabric over moulded foam.

In the end, it is clear this car is marketed towards the 'youf'. You have to drive it reclined like you're going everywhere cruzing 4 chickz, bruv. The stock stereo produces poor quality sound but excesses of bass, and is obviously designed to be thrown away and replaced with one with flashing lights and ostentatious graphics. It's a good looking car, and I have no doubt that it's the most fun you can have in a hybrid. But the only thing it gives you over a similarly priced RenaultSport Megane, is economy. The Megane, however, is faster, handles even better, doesn't have an interior that makes you want to catch the bus, and isn't festooned with wanky hybrid bits. For me, it's a no brainer.

And to add insult to injury, it only rated my driving with half a tree.

To me, the CR-Z is compeltely obsoleted by the Veloster, which has better back seats (and access to them), more power, matches the economy, and looks and handles as well. Plus is not a hybrid.

I'd love to see Type R version of the CR-Z. Old school inline four revving to upper stratosphere and a chassis to match.

CR-Z looks great, I want to like it. But as it is, it just doesn't give you any reason to like it.

To me, the CR-Z is compeltely obsoleted by the Veloster, which has better back seats (and access to them), more power, matches the economy, and looks and handles as well. Plus is not a hybrid.
The CR-Z only just arrived here, and the Veloster is coming pretty shortly. Honda really missed the boat on that one. Hilariously my local Honda dealer is also a Hyundai dealer, so chances are the two cars will sit next to each other on the lot. Pretty much certain death for the Honda.

CR-Z looks great, I want to like it. But as it is, it just doesn't give you any reason to like it.
I was the same. It certainly looks cool and has the potential to be something special, but it ultimately is a poor car. Even the Honda PR guy who brought it out and handed over the keys said that he was surprised it won Wheels Magazine's car of the year.

I experienced two very different cars this week. Both of them changed the way I normally look at cars. The Range Rover Evoque, for instance, I didn't want to like. I thought it would have been a complete fashion accessory and just another useless prestige soft-roader. But it was brilliant. And it made enough of an impression for me to reconsider some of my old ways. The Evoque is perhaps the only car available with a manual gearbox that I would spec with the optional automatic. Every other automatic I've driven I got out thinking "yeah, but imagine if it was a manual". The Evoque left me thinking "why would you bother?".

This car had a very opposite effect. It left me completely cold. It didn't infuriate me, but it left absolutely no impression. I can honestly say that if I had one at my disposal and had to go somewhere, I'd probably catch a bus. That's not something I've thought with any other car I've driven.