Pacific Rim. Giant monsters, Robots, and GLaDOS.

Del Torro has said the directors cut will deal more with the back stories of the Russian and Chinese Jeagers (about an hour extra footage) so you may get your wish.

Went to see it yesterday, Awesome! Stupid! Awesome! Worst acting ever! Awesome! Makes no sense at all! Awesome!

It's 2 hours of brainless shameless fun, I had a blast!

Also:

Ron Perlman? Never fails to get a reaction form the audience, awesome guy.

"But when you're in a Jaeger, you can finally fight the hurricane. You can win." What? :rofl:

Del Torro has said the directors cut will deal more with the back stories of the Russian and Chinese Jeagers (about an hour extra footage) so you may get your wish.
That would be awesome. Hopefully they don't make us wait too long for the Director's Cut. Which they probably won't, since they'll be wanting to make as much money as soon as they can to recover funds, no doubt.

One thing that did kind of bother me a little...

... was not getting to see any successful battles until nearly the end of the film. They kept talking about all the victories the different Jaeger teams had, protecting cities, holding defensive lines for months, number of kills, etc. But we never got to see any of it, except a few brief images on news broadcasts or flashbacks. We only really hear about the victories. When those two level 4 monsters attacked Hong Kong, we finally get to see the other Jaeger teams in action and... well, it wasn't exactly their best performances, or so we were led to believe. Would have been nice to see them live up to their reputations at least once before they... well, you know.
spoilered for movie details

Here's why I think it was done that way

They did it to show how quickly we became content with the whole situation, yeah giant monsters attack but our robots can shit kick them without much effort at this point. It's like Superman stopping a shoplifter, it's become routine and no challenge at all. That's why they showed Jaeger toys and stuffed Kaiju, pilots doing talk shows, it all bred complacency. And that's why in the first whole battle we see, the pilots are cocky as hell and think it's all over after a single plasma blast, they were not ready for the Kaiju to level up and start adapting, so it caught the entire world off guard. The montage established the damage they could do, how we could dish it back out, and why we wound up getting caught with our pants down.

I watched this in IMAX 3D.

Childish giggling ensured....this was brilliant ;)

I went to see it again this afternoon, and yeah, it's still fucking awesome. And I was able to catch things I didn't the first time around which was nice, now I just need a much bigger TV and a Bluray copy.

How stupidly useless is it that we get this movie 3 weeks after everyone else and even then it won't be on IMAX! GRRRRRRRRRRRR

I just sent a very naughty letter to the theatre that stupidly enough rathers airing The Wolverine, which isn't even an IMAX movie on IMAX and not Pacific Rim.

Ah, at least I'll finally get to see it tomorrow :p

How stupidly useless is it that we get this movie 3 weeks after everyone else and even then it won't be on IMAX! GRRRRRRRRRRRR

I just sent a very naughty letter to the theatre that stupidly enough rathers airing The Wolverine, which isn't even an IMAX movie on IMAX and not Pacific Rim.

Ah, at least I'll finally get to see it tomorrow :p

Well I saw it on a rather small and not so great screen, and I still loved it. Don't worry.

I'd pass on the 3D for this one because A: it wasn't shot in 3D, it was post converted and B: considering 3D movies can be a little blurry and nearly all of the action takes place at night, I'd prefer the picture to be as crystal clear as possible.

Ahhhhhhh finally got to watch it. T'was awesome :D

Watched it in 3D, was one of the better 3D experiences I had and I liked it.

One thing bugged me though

If the only way to go through that rift is with a Kaijun cause it only opens for them, how did they manage to come back after nuking the underworld? We clearly saw em going all the way through so it's not a matter of "the gate was still open"...

But honestly that's a bit too "reason searching" for a movie like this, it was just fun all along :)

If the only way to go through that rift is with a Kaijun cause it only opens for them, how did they manage to come back after nuking the underworld? We clearly saw em going all the way through so it's not a matter of "the gate was still open"...

Wasn't the class 5 Kaiju carcase still floating somewhere in the throat after they killed it? I'd swear they just shrugged it off and then kept falling on their own. If that's the case it would explain how/why the portal remained open for them to get back to earth, it basically acted like a wedge.

But honestly that's a bit too "reason searching" for a movie like this, it was just fun all along :)

That's exactly how I felt through the whole movie. The point you raised in the spoiler is one of those that bugged me as well, but the whole thing was so awesome you can simply look over these details :)

I uh "acquired" a copy of it last week and yeah, it still rocks my balls off.

Looking forward to buying it. I wonder if there will be an extended version...

65465.jpg

This movie is one giant "fuck yeah".

That's pretty much all my thoughts for the movie.

I downloaded this last week once and I was pretty disappointed. Actually I thought it was rubbish. I'm not a fan of mecha stuff anyway so that probably didn't help.

I downloaded this last week once and I was pretty disappointed. Actually I thought it was rubbish. I'm not a fan of mecha stuff anyway so that probably didn't help.

Being a nerd growing up on sci-fi and gundam wing/seed helps immensely.

yes_5656.gif

Gotta do that every time something cool happens. HEHEHEHEHEHE

x10 when you see the sword sequence

It was a fun movie, that has to be said (just watched it this weekend).
But
-the plot
-the dialogue
-the science (Gipsy Danger being "analogue" has already been mentioned)
-and most of all discrepancies in how the "drift" is supposed to work

really turned me off. Massively. I don't even look for realism or plausibility in this kind of movie, but this was just too much.

Last edited: