Photos that make you speak in symbols and punctuation

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
I want to start a thread where we post truly amazing photos; and I mean "truly amazing" in every artistic sense. Photos that show a clear strength in composition, lighting, tone, emotion, meaning and depth. But mostly, I want to see photos that are amazing because of a photographer's dedication to be at the right place at the right time, whether by pure chance or specific intention. I would hesitate to post a studio shot unless it's is a one-in-a-billion sort of thing. The snap of your dog making a funny face doesn't count either; I'm talking about photos that will go down in history.

Just so we're clear, these do not have to be your photos. In fact, they shouldn't be. I want to see amazing photos that inspire you, not your own photos.

I'll start off with the photo that inspired me to create this thread...

Originally seen here:
http://1x.com/photos/latest-additions/30961/

This one left me speechless.
stawiarz_kingdom_of_shadows_london01.jpg

Nice idea epp_b.

that first pic? is that real? or ps? that's a series you don't want to see comming in your direction :shock:

If you look under the discription of how they did it, it was an old 35mm film SLR that was on a tripod, anchored to the ground and triggered by sound. Despite the fact it was secured to the ground, it was blasted several yards away. They used a cheap film SLR simply because they didn't want to sacrifice an expensive dSLR in the process. The camera survived actually, but the lens was burned out.

Larger image

Last edited:
Pulitzer prize winning photo taken during the aftermath of the Oklahoma City Bombing :Might be Graphic to Some:

okcity.jpg

tetons-snake-river1.jpg

grand-prismatic-spring-521743-lw.jpg

Speaking of the Boston Globe, I'll post some from the Awesome Thread...

e20_21742607.jpg

e18_21744549.jpg

e22_21742665.jpg

I thought this might be worth a bump. I've attempted and failed on many occasions to capture a single dragonfly, this person comes along and finds a acrobatics conventions on water and manages to capture it.

For me, landscapes/nature don't represent the best "story tellers" behind a photo. As the Chernobyl disaster, fascinates me, the following 2 photos are I think on the top of my list.
f06ad965a423a2642ed0bdf22c01ee59.jpg

I thought this might be worth a bump. I've attempted and failed on many occasions to capture a single dragonfly, this person comes along and finds a acrobatics conventions on water and manages to capture it.

I know what you mean. I've tried soo many a time to capture at least one in a decent shot and I always fail! That photo is seriously epic. As are most of them in this thread.