Poll: Vote on a RWD V8 saloon

Poll: Vote on a RWD V8 saloon

• Total voters
I have a bit of experience just riding in an FX, and it isn't boring or slow by any means. It is a true sport crossover if such a thing exists. If thats what your family needs, I say go for it. It will surely be very reliable and have all the oomph you could want. Interiors on the Infinitis are a bit below the German rivals though, but it certainly isnt barren.

That said, in the spirit of completely fitting all your listed requirements (maybe price is a bit high)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=293893748&dealer_id=64223511&car_year=2005&doors=&systime=&model=545I&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=25&min_price=&drive=&rdm=1298009651458&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=56666255&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&address=76226&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=BMW&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=21&standard=false

(Cars.com isn't working:/)

Yea, I've driven an FX35 and I loved every minute of it. Felt very athletic. Enjoyed the driving experience very much.

That 545i is exactly in the right category. Year, mileage, engine and number of doors. The price might be slightly higher but that's ok, I can eat the extra $30-40/mo if the car is just right.

*edit*
The 5-series is running away with the poll...

Last edited:
Between those options it's a no contest to the Series 5... but it should be noted of course that the 5 would be twice as expensive probably

Also isn't the charger technically a coup? and that's why it's not getting any votes? :p

Last edited:
If you like the FX I don't think you'd be disappointed. I had a EX35 as a loaner car for a couple days, I enjoyed it. I've ridden in a FX50, great, but again out of price range. But eh FX35 or 45 I think would be great for a fun family car. The EX35 could work as well if you want to try to save a little money (though an older FX35 may be cheaper).

For fuck sake

G8 GT

seriously

Also isn't the charger technically a coup? and that's why it's not getting any votes? :p

2006-Dodge-Charger-RT-sa-1280x960.jpg

That answer your question?

I also suggest the G8. I would not suggest the Merc because it will give you problems that will be expensive to fix.

Last edited:
How can no one vote for a Charger R/T?!

dodge-charger-daytona-rt-2.jpg

I hate how the R/T isn't anymore the top of the line sport model. That badge had some heritage unlike the SRT.
It's a bit like BMW deciding the M isn't good enough anymore and then replacing it with a SM.

Thoughts to consider. I was doing more researching today and saw:

19012074309.291353661.IM1.07.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

C350, $21k 60k miles. Epic. Win.

I hate how the R/T isn't anymore the top of the line sport model. That badge had some heritage unlike the SRT.
It's a bit like BMW deciding the M isn't good enough anymore and then replacing it with a SM.

You can thank the Dodge Viper for ruining that moniker. The Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T was the last real R/T true to old school form.

However, all hating of Chrysler aside the Charger R/T--especially the Daytona I posted is quite good and ticks all of my boxes. May not have a good interior (it doesn't) and may not be as good looking as most of the others it is a decent car.

The downside is they cost around the same as the following:
  • Mercury Marauder
  • BMW 530i and 545i
  • Mercedes E350 and E500
  • Infiniti G, FX and M
  • Audi S6

I cannot justify paying the same for an R/T as the ones I listed...maybe if the R/T had like $25k miles or something...

Odd thing is the SRT8 Magnum costs the same as the R/T Daytona Charger...how's that for value? I'll take the 425bhp and more space in the boot please.

------------------------

*edit*
Guess what I found in my price, year and mileage range?

18763702737.292300167.IM1.04.565x421_A.565x318.jpg

Yup, that's right. A Viper engined Dodge Ram. I do like. :D No it's not a saloon, no it's not V8 powered but it is brilliant. I mean it has 10 cylinders for christ sakes!

Last edited:
I hate to be the one that does this, but someone has to. Especially after you posted the SRT Ram.

Okay, the question has to be asked - why are you so eager to get very, very deep in a debt hole when you're already in one with the Focus? Your selections aren't making any sense; you need to be shopping with your head instead of your heart here. Almost all of the options here, unless they come with an all-inclusive warranty, are going to cost more to repair than even your Focus does. And you're going about this all wrong if your objective is to rebuild your credit (as you mentioned in your other thread.) If you can't afford to fix the Focus SVT, the only thing in your poll that you're going to be able to afford to fix is the Crown Victoria. Do yourself a favor and go look up replacement parts cost and labor on a 545i's water pump. Or fuel pump. Don't worry, I'll wait. Edit: Just FYI, the local independent Euro shops charge $75-125 per hour. Don't ask what some of the dealers want.

Your year restrictions on what cars you will accept as candidates are silly, too, since you can be an illegal with no job and no credit history and still get financed in Dallas on almost anything that isn't 3-5 years old or newer. I don't know how or where you're shopping, but it needs to be said that you need to stop and really think about what you're doing.

Is it really a financing restriction that's keeping you from considering older cars? Or is it that you really want a newer car and the 'financing' is an excuse?

Last edited:
I hate to be the one that does this, but someone has to. Especially after you posted the SRT Ram.

Okay, the question has to be asked - why are you so eager to get very, very deep in a debt hole when you're already in one with the Focus? Your selections aren't making any sense; you need to be shopping with your head instead of your heart here. ALL of the options here, unless they come with an all-inclusive warranty, are going to cost more to repair than even your Focus does. And you're going about this all wrong if your objective is to rebuild your credit (as you mentioned in your other thread.) If you can't afford to fix the Focus SVT, the only thing in your poll that you're going to be able to afford to fix is the Crown Victoria. Do yourself a favor and go look up replacement parts cost and labor on a 540i's water pump. Or fuel pump. Don't worry, I'll wait.

Your year restrictions on what cars you will accept as candidates are silly, too, since you can be an illegal with no job and no credit history and still get financed in Dallas on almost anything that isn't 3-5 years old or newer. I don't know how or where you're shopping, but it needs to be said that you need to stop and really think about what you're doing.

Is it really a financing restriction that's keeping you from considering older cars? Or is it that you really want a newer car and the 'financing' is an excuse?

Spectre: The man with the balls to say what everyone else is thinking.

Honestly, I won't comment on your personal situation as it is really none of my business, but I do agree that not a single one of the cars you listed aside from the crown vic is affordable to maintain, much less with a fuel sucking V8 and highest gas prices since 2008.

But you obviously know your situation better than anyone else here, so just be sure to make a responsible choice and don't fly on your heart alone.

I ruined my credit with a car that I paid too much for, and cost too much to maintain. I'm finally digging my way out of it, and it's been 3 years and I'm still "medium/high risk" eventhough I've never missed any sort of payment since getting rid of that car.

Guys I was kidding with the Viper Ram. :D. No way I want 10 MPG gas mileage. I figured the humor was apparent. :)

Something maybe I need to say again. My interest rate on my Focus is 25%, the interest rate I will get now is much less that half of that. I need something fun to own and with space that won't be hideously unreliable like my current car has been. I wasn't able to purchase an extended warranty with it either. I don't have a problem with getting a $20,000 car and paying it off. These RWD saloons in here are suggestions for me to look at and test drive. I will probably end up with a Panther car, Infiniti G saloon or Nissan Maxima SE. Still, it doesn't hurt to post a topic like this to get some information. :) I absolutely want something fun to drive, I won't go against that feeling. If I don't find the right car I will start paying extra on the Focus to pay it off faster. :D Because it is still fun to drive--when it runs.

Last edited:
I had to go with the Magnum. Drive a bunch of those and they were fun as hell. Nothing beats smoking ricers in a grocery-getter, that alone is worth 20k IMO.

G8 GT/GXP + an intake an tune will make for a VERY fun car. The GT's are toned down quite a bit by the stock tune with all the TM and whatnot. CTS-V's (V1's )have gotten cheap as well.

Any Mopar R/T is a dog. Around here I've seen various SRT8 cars go for around that price range with under 70k on the clock. That would be my choice if you did go Mopar.

CV = :lol:

Last edited: