Porsche 918 Concept

The engine from the RS Spyder without restrictors?

WANT. :drool:

And as long as the "hybrid" bit is performance-boosting, I don't care about it. As long as it has a pure-bred RACING ENGINE in it, it's the definition of awesome. Also, they cannot build this thing unless, two years down the line, it pops up on the world's racetracks.

Last edited:
Ah yes...

I suspected (and I bet I wrote it in some older thread, too) that, with Wendelin Wiedeking gone, the craziness would return to Porsche and a fresh wind would blow through the company.

He was an automotive bookkeeper, the perfect man for saving a company from the abyss, but definitely not the right man for future sports car visions. Now he's gone and the company crackpots are coming out of the holes they were forced to hide in for far too long :)

That 918 concept -- if it is built exactly that way -- is finally a car again, that can take on Ferrari, Lamborghini or even Pagani. Not only on track times but also on craziness.

A 700+ HP hybrid with 95 MPG and 70 g of CO2 per kilometer is a bold claim, though, and I see a lot of technological problems. But if one sports car maker can pull it off technology-wise, it probably is Porsche (with the power and resources of VW in the background).

Is it too early to say that I feel sorry for Ferrari?

P.S.: I like how they integrated the colour green into the lettering on the back:
image-64685-galleryV9-jisi.jpg

And Walter R?hrl is happy, too. Wish I had his job:
image-64691-galleryV9-hvwv.jpg

:)

Last edited:
sooooo damn awesome!!! :? :? :? :wub::wub::wub:

That thing is so ridiculously hot! One of the best concepts I've ever seen.

that being said I still think the Carrera GT looks better. It's just smoother somehow.

Das ist awesome.

*sighs at people who take concepts a bit too seriously*

1. The real thing won't have those wheels
2. The real thing won't have those mirrors
3. The real thing will very likely have a bit more 'realistic' interior

List goes on.

Oh, the red button on the steering wheel is the 'KERS release'. <3

Last edited:
That concept is already completely ready to drive. Walter R?hrl drove it on the stage with the V8 on and off the stage using the electric motors.

From what I read so far, Porsche is already handing order forms to potential customers -- without a price tag yet, though.

This thing will come. There will be changes in details, I'm sure. But all in all it will look like that.

By the way: Seems like the prototype was made by an Italian company in Turin. Does anyone know any details about that?

Last edited:
ATR Composites made the tub and the body panels for the Carrera GT. They might have been involved here, as it seems the 918 Spyder's tub looks very similar to the Carrera GT's (Very visible in the open door shot)

(...) There will be changes in details, I'm sure. But all in all it will look like that. (...)
Right. It was just like that with the Carrera GT (Frankfurt IAA, 2003) and it's concept car (Frankfurt IAA, 2001). Which is a really good sign, concerning the Porsche 918 Spyder because it looks awesome already . I bet we'll see the production model at the Frankfurt auto show next year.

A 700+ HP hybrid with 95 MPG and 70 g of CO2 per kilometer is a bold claim, though, and I see a lot of technological problems. But if one sports car maker can pull it off technology-wise, it probably is Porsche (with the power and resources of VW in the background).

I'm guessing you don't get both. You probably have a track mode that uses the engine and electric motors together for power, and a road mode that primarily uses the electric motors to drive, or some more eco combination.

But if they actually give you 700+HP AND 95 MPG, this would be the most revolutionary car since, well...the car.

That concept is beautiful. Now give it a roof like any proper car needs and I am sold.

Why did they bother with those rear view mirrors anyway. They look like someone just glued some teaspoons together.

*sighs at people who take concepts a bit too seriously*

1. The real thing won't have those wheels
2. The real thing won't have those mirrors
3. The real thing will very likely have a bit more 'realistic' interior

List goes on.

Oh, the red button on the steering wheel is the 'KERS release'. <3

1. Take the plastic bit off the wheels and they're very possible, especially for a car this expensive
2. The mirrors would probably be mounted on the exact same arm and just be about 3-4x bigger, with identical styling
3. Other than the green stitching I see no reason why this interior wouldn't fly? The dash is no more lunatic than the LF-A's. As for the centre console, it's not like touch technology is all that revolutionary anymore.

Just my thoughts.

The last car that fascinated me like the new Porsche 918 Spyder does, actually was the Carrera GT. I mean, I love clubsport-racecars like the 911 GT3 RS for it's purism and authenticity.
This though, is just another level.

It looks okay, though it's smallness makes the guy in it look like a bit of a Piddington. I hate the concept of making a hybrid supercar, but if it actually makes the thing faster than would have been possible without the hybrid engine (more displacement or a supercharger), I'm good with it. I just really doubt that it does :(

AS well as that, I don't like the idea that the Carrera GT successor is a hybrid. Make the Cayenne, Cayman, and Boxster hybrids, but not the top of the range thing...