Post Your Watches

Not my cup of tea, but I like the fact it's a mechanical movement instead of quartz like the MoonSwatch.
(Yes, I know it's much more expensive)

Not my cup of tea, but I like the fact it's a mechanical movement instead of quartz like the MoonSwatch.
(Yes, I know it's much more expensive)

Going to NYC this fall, will be staying near the Times Square Swatch boutique. If I can conveniently find one for retail at the store, I'll pick one up. Cause why not? Like with the Moonswatch, so much of the online watch community is bent out of shape about this. Relax people...

Yeah, I don't get all the hate.
I think the watches from Richard Mille are much more offensive, but that's me....

Yeah, I don't get all the hate.
I think the watches from Richard Mille are much more offensive, but that's me....
Ironically, in the various watch groups I'm in... actual Blancpain Fifty Fathoms owners seem cool with this and like how this new Swatch collab shines a spotlight on their watches. 😂

It's silly, but I like it:
1695026788903.png

Watchfinder's Andrew Morgan is coming to Boston as part of a US east coast tour, and I'm going to be there. This is the first time I've ever attended a watch meetup in person, so we'll see where it falls on the fun/douchy scale.

He seems like a nice person.
I enjoyed his videos when he was just a pair of hands and I like his own channel as well.
Have fun!
On related news: my son told me he wants an analog watch. And he will buy it with his own money!
"My fitness tracker is usefull, but it's not cool. I want something nice."
I asked him if he wanted something quartz or mechanical, which resulted in a puzzled look (by him) and a brief lecture explaining the differences (by me).
We settled on a quartz, for now. :LOL:
Suggestions in the $100 range for a simple-looking watch (think Seiko 5), with a cloth or leather band are welcome.

Last edited:
It's rather over $100 (you knew the first sentence of any reply was going to be that :p) but I've always been fond of the Seiko Essentials Dress Watch. Classically elegant, leather strap, basically the anathema of a modern fitness tracker.

Casio does make a nice rather simple-looking Edifice for < $100 but you'll have to budget for the leather strap. Same with this Citizen which I didn't knew existed but may be gracing my wrist very soon if I'm browsing amazon late at night.

Of course if "simple-looking" doesn't mean "No complications apart from date", There's the good faithful Timex Weekender. Always a solid choice for a first wristwatch.

Congrats to your kid. The first thing I bought with money I earned by myself was a wristwatch. Still own and use it actually

Last edited:
How about Skagen? I bought mine 17 years ago and still love it; answers to the moniker 233XLTMB.

What I like the most is that it’s very thin (about 7mm) and weighs so little that I sometimes forget I’m wearing it. It’s on its second or third wristband, scratched like a concrete pillar in a car park and some moisture has got into it, but it still keeps time very nicely.

Last edited:
+1 for Timex. They are not fancy, but you can find them in a variety of designs and they just work. I have a couple that I wore daily for knock-around types of things that tends to beat up watches or risk breakage - not because I wanted to break them, but if they did get dinged up or broken it wouldn't be the end of the world. Both still work, but my daily watch is now a Garmin.

It's rather over $100 (you knew the first sentence of any reply was going to be that :p
Of course :LOL:

If I suggest that, he will probably tell me "I am 14 years old, not 41!"

But yes, thew weekender is being considered. Thanks.

How about Skagen? I bought mine 17 years ago and still love it; answers to the moniker 233XLTMB.

What I like the most is that it’s very thin (about 7mm) and weighs so little that I sometimes forget I’m wearing it. It’s on its second or third wristband, scratched like concrete pillar in a car park and some moisture has got into it, but it still keeps time very nicely.
I fogrot about those! Thanks
+1 for Timex. They are not fancy, but you can find them in a variety of designs and they just work. I have a couple that I wore daily for knock-around types of things that tends to beat up watches or risk breakage - not because I wanted to break them, but if they did get dinged up or broken it wouldn't be the end of the world. Both still work, but my daily watch is now a Garmin.
Yeah, we looked online and his favorites so far are this one:
1695284825053.png

and this one:
1695284857718.png

During the weekend we will try to look them in person.

I can already see his taste in watches is very close to mine.

How much should one spend on a nice but reasonably-priced watch? In other words, if I want something that will last me a long time, look decent in occasions such as job interviews, yet can be worn on everyday occasions, and won't break the bank, what type of watches am I looking into?

Also, I'm kinda torn on mechanical vs quartz. If, let's say, I wear the watch in the office, and on occasions such as job interviews, dates and family events, but don't really wear it during my free time, does a mechanical watch even make sense?

Finally, I'm thinking of getting something nicer, my Casio Edifice has been with me for past almost 15 years, but it's not the most comfortable of watches to wear, thanks to its design. And my Swatch Irony Chrono, that's been with me closer to 20 years, has barely seen any use. It's a chronometer, and I don't use that, so I only ever wore it like a handful of times. Both of those watches were presents from my uncles, for Catholic sacraments, nonetheless. The Casio was unsolicited, but I hand-picked the Swatch when I was 8, so I knew exactly what I wanted!

I'd like something fairly minimal, that suits aforementioned needs and situations. Seiko 5 Automatic immediately comes to mind, I just need to find a model that I like. But before I research what I really want, I'm kinda curious as to what's the normal amount to spend on such thing.

For a daily wear with minimal maintenance and good looks I'd look at the Citizen Ecodrive line; they use solar power to charge a battery that runs a quartz movement. $200-$700 is pretty typical, depending on the model, but they can get expensive if you go for something like a full blown dive watch, titanium case, or other such fanciness.

Seiko has a similar technology called Solar in a similar price point.

How much should one spend on a nice but reasonably-priced watch? In other words, if I want something that will last me a long time, look decent in occasions such as job interviews, yet can be worn on everyday occasions, and won't break the bank, what type of watches am I looking into?

Also, I'm kinda torn on mechanical vs quartz. If, let's say, I wear the watch in the office, and on occasions such as job interviews, dates and family events, but don't really wear it during my free time, does a mechanical watch even make sense?

Finally, I'm thinking of getting something nicer, my Casio Edifice has been with me for past almost 15 years, but it's not the most comfortable of watches to wear, thanks to its design. And my Swatch Irony Chrono, that's been with me closer to 20 years, has barely seen any use. It's a chronometer, and I don't use that, so I only ever wore it like a handful of times. Both of those watches were presents from my uncles, for Catholic sacraments, nonetheless. The Casio was unsolicited, but I hand-picked the Swatch when I was 8, so I knew exactly what I wanted!

I'd like something fairly minimal, that suits aforementioned needs and situations. Seiko 5 Automatic immediately comes to mind, I just need to find a model that I like. But before I research what I really want, I'm kinda curious as to what's the normal amount to spend on such thing.
You can defintely find something that lasts a long time and looks decent in both everyday use or fancier events, and you don't need to spend more than 300€.
As for the mechanical vs quartz, I have a Seiko SRPG41 which stays home when I go to the gym and sometimes during the weekend, which means on Mondays I sometimes need to give it a few turns of the crown to wake it up. Some people are annoyed by that (I am not) but it's something you should consider before making a decision. Also, quartz is not inherently worse, it's just nice to be able to see the clockwork in a mechanical watch.

The one I mentioned before bit more on the "field watch" style, which can work for fancier situations, but you can go further down the "dress watch" style with a similar model, like the SRPJ87.

1695630794870.png

1695630772750.png

It's a really striking design, it would look at home next to a vintage Movado.

b7e0954b245b1d823e526a40f23ccc77_original.gif

This is promising.
I like the idea of a Spring Drive-esque sweep in a more affordable watch, not to mention the possibilities that this technology opens.

I want it just because it looks like a rev counter with a clock inset.

Well, that goes without saying...

Yes, I thought that being the best bit was implicit.