Production GT-R SMASHES 'ring record.

The GT-R weighs in at 3920 lbs, which is 80 lbs short of 2 tons.

The new M3 is heavy too. The RS4 with its larger V8 and AWD weighs 3704 lbs, while the M3 Coupe weighs 3650 lbs. The M3 sedan weighs 3726 lbs.

US Spec RS4 weighs 3957 lbs unladed. This is straight from Audi site.

People need to seriously get over the weight thing. Yes lighter cars are more chuckable and tend to be more fun and easier to drive. However with the right suspension and power the weight becomes almost a non issue. Which is clearly evidenced by the fact that it did quite well around the Ring.

This discussion needs to be put to rest it is an excellent car and is an engineering achievement, whether or not it is desirable is a different question.

Last edited:
other pundits in the thread have commented on how "everyone needs to get over the weight thing"

but have you noticed that this is really the only car to elicit such a reaction and seriousness never seen before? i just think it's interesting to see the "GTR CAN DO NO WRONG" camp respond to negative comments.

apparently no one can say anything negative about the car...

sorry i didnt realize it was the absolute pinnacle of automotive technology and that it caters to every single driver's wants and desires and needs of an automobile.

carry on thread...carry on.

Last edited:
but have you noticed that this is really the only car to elicit such a reaction and seriousness never seen before? i just think it's interesting to see the "GTR CAN DO NO WRONG" camp respond to negative comments.
Of course the car can do wrong, and it is in no way the car for everybody. Yet, the "GTR CAN DO NO WRONG" camp only reacted so viciously because the "GTR IS CRAP IN ALL ASPECTS" camp came up with ridiculous arguments in the first place. If everybody would accept that technically it's a good car and if the press would stop exaggerating wildly, we'd all be fine.

Last edited:
other pundits in the thread have commented on how "everyone needs to get over the weight thing"

apparently no one can say anything negative about the car...

sorry i didnt realize it was the absolute pinnacle of automotive technology and that it caters to every single driver's wants and desires and needs of an automobile.

carry on thread...carry on.

You know if you read through the thread you would see that I've said before that I absolutely do not want a GT-R. I think that for the price I would rather get an RS4 or the R8. In fact RS4 would be cheaper since there won't be a 20K mark up on it.

I just don't think that weight makes all that much difference, RS4, R8, M3, M5 and so on are not exactly a Miata with a big engine in them either. I haven't seen people arguing that RS4 is pure crap because it weighs just a few pounds shy of an imperial ton, everyone praises the R8 and the M cars as well. Yes the DSG, the AWD, the turbos, the V6 and various idiotic safety regulations that don't belong on a sports car made the car heavy. So what? The R34 GT-R was a heavy beast as well with only ~300HP (280 stated) yet it is one of the most desirable and respected cars in the world.

Does the car have problems? Yes it does, are there certain engineering decisions I disagree with (TWO FRIGGING DRIVESHAFTS???!!!) yes there are. However, weight is well within reason for that car and it obviously carries it well.

Not really, the CTS-V thread pretty much went the same way. In fact any new car that comes in and starts shaking up the establishment is going it incite passionate responses from both fans and haters. The gt-r is not at all unique in this regard.

Of course no car is perfect but this is one car where a certain group of people have decided they hate it without understanding how it works. Like i have said before there is no problem with hating a car, but at least hate it for the right reasons. For example most of the hate towards this car is directed at it's electronics, yet the people who complain about it have absolutely no idea how any of it works. So they make up bullshit arguments based on assumptions. As a fan of the car i could do a better job of criticising it than the haters.

I think it is entirely ugly, inside and out. While i don't mind the electronic assistance if it is well implemented, i don't like having 100 different settings for everything. It needs to be just COMFORT or RACE, what else do you need?

As for the weight... i couldn't care less if they carved the car out of a solid block of lead and it weighs 20 tons (metric or otherwise), as long as it still accelerates, corners and stops as good or better than the alternatives.

Last edited:
Thats quite alright, we all make mistakes. :mrgreen:

i wanna give a GTR to a stay at soccer mom of 3 that normally drives around in an big SUV or minivan..

see what she thinks of it. she'll probably hate the damn thing.

it's too complicated, kids cant pile in and out of it, ride is crap, cant put groceries in it...

while the .00001% of the population argues the merits and qualities of each car, the rest of the world that actually buys cars and drives the market so we can have these 150/500/1005 year production run cars made couldnt give a shit.

sad :(

everyone should drive a GTR. it'd be a great marketing campaign for nissan...

trade your firstborn into a nissan slave labor camp and get a sentra.

2 kids and you get a maxima.

3. kid's well. you just earned yourself a GTR

:arrow:
edit.gif

@ Quadrax: you're constantly taking the words out of my mouth buddy! :thumbup:

@ torqueless: he was trying to tell you that you shouldn't make multiple posts in a row. Try the edit button in the lower left corner of your posts, you can add whatever you like afterwards.

That viper is sex on wheels.

I don't know if "The supercar that mom and the kids can enjoy together" is really such a good conclusion...

I don't know if "The supercar that mom and the kids can enjoy together" is really such a good conclusion...

Yeah, the logical conclusion of that train of thought is an Audi RS6, and that'd just be silly :p.

Yeah, the logical conclusion of that train of thought is an Audi RS6, and that'd just be silly :p.

But that is perfect for the soccer mom on the go. She never gonna be late to the soccer practice and can fit alot of gear :) This is the car I would be buying if I had a family (and a VERY well paying job).

Apparently, Honda's bosses are demanding from their engineers that the NSX successor shal be faster than the Nissan GT-R:
Honda's answer to the Nissan GT-R and Lexus LF A hit the ring earlier this week when our spies caught a black and white clad NSX prototype powering round the circuit. We had been questioning what kind of performance we can expect from Japan's newest supercar but now those questions have been answered after information has surfaced that Takeo Fukai, CEO of Honda demanded the development team build an NSX that is faster than both its Japanese rivals.

That would mean a lap time of at least 7 minutes 28 seconds would need to be achieved, that will certainly be a challenging task to undertake. Honda are going a little further upmarket than the GT-R with the package found under the hood with a front-mid mounted 5.5-liter V10 engine producing in the region of 550 ponies and 420 lb ft of torque.

Maximum efficiency for the engine will be achieved with a cylinder deactivation system when the car does not require all of its power such as at low speed. An eight-speed paddle-shifted automatic transmission is expected to pass the power to the wheels via a new version of Honda's Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive system (SH-AWD).

The Honda/Acura NSX is still 2 years away but it will be interesting to see if they can once gain become Japan's ultimate supercar.
Source...

And one of the prototypes has been timed at 7:37, so far...
The next generation Acura NSX is still two years away. But the cars with which it will compete are currently moving the goal posts further and further toward the horizon. By the time the NSX arrives, it could need rocket boosters and a hyperdrive. Or maybe it already has them?

The NSX prototype that we recently showed you lapping the 'Ring has recently been clocked unofficially by KGP spy photographers doing a 7:37 lap around the 'Ring in traffic. It's no secret what kind of cars live in that 7:30 bracket. Seeing as how Honda CEO Takeo Fukui wants the NSX to lap the 'Ring faster than the GT-R, we'd be remiss if we didn't mention that Nissan's supercar has done it officially in 7 minutes, 29 seconds.

Remember, though, when the Nissan GT-R was casually timed by trackside reporters, they clocked it doing a 7:38, and well know now what GT-R can really do when pressed by a professional. If the NSX mule and it's rumored 550-hp 5.5L V10 are really that good already, then the car looks in good shape to deliver on Honda CEO Fukui-san's command to beat the GT-R and LF-A.

As a bonus, KGP also managed to snap the interior of the NSX prototype. While not revealing much, we can see its gauges and the paddle shifters for its rumored 8-speed transmission. Also note that these new pics of the NSX prototype were taken while it ran that 7:37 lap
Source...