Questions and answers

I try to take care of my equipment, but I don't let myself worry about it to the point where it adversely affects my photography.

The fall could cause damage to the lens mount of the camera but at that height it's very unlikely.

Very very unlikely. Lens mounts are the strongest part of cameras and the whole chassis is made such that force on the mount gets distributed across the whole body.

And, how far a fall can a Rebel survive? Try 3000 ft :p
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/845602

Actually Lloyd Chambers claims that even a heavy lens unsupported can cause the mount to warp, if only slightly. It's still enough (according to him) to have an effect on the way your body performs when using a super wide aperture lens. Like I said, it's very unlikely that any warping or damage happened. In fact, even if it did you'd probably never notice anyway without disgusting quantities of pixel peeping.

I've seen several photos of lens mounts getting ripped straight off cameras, even professional cameras.

But it's really not common at all in any way.

Maybe if you mount a 600mm f4 and hang the camera from your neck and let it just dangle... but then you would be insane (and have a neck of steel). Any lens heavy enough to warp the mount should come with its own strap though, so whatever.

edit: also, ^ pics plox?

and moar beat up camera: Juza's (re: juzaphoto.com) 1DsIII is beat to hell. Awesome. (I think the most recent pictures of it are from his S2 mini-review) http://www.juzaphoto.com/shared_files/articles/leica_s2/leica_s2_photo2.jpg

Last edited:
A worn camera eh? How about my D2H? :)

full

full

full

The paint has worn off from here and there, there are plenty of scratches and other marks, the CF door is missing it's rubber and the connectors at the bottom (for the WT-2 wireless transmitter) are covered with a few pieces of electric tape (original rubber plug is missing). No, I don't hate my camera, it was like this when I bought it :p It's seen plenty of life this one, I guess it's already taken more than 130k shots.

Thanks for the replays guys. I didn't mention, the lens was a KIT Canon lens - EFS 18-55mm, so its light as a feather. Bought the same lens only with Image Stabilization - IS, so I thing my friend will be happy. I will inform about the fall, so if something drastic will happen, will have to save for a new camera. Thanks again, latter.

:)

Is there any reason why Windows 7 can't copy files off my CF card properly? If I copy one off onto another computer and email it to myself then it's fine, but directly off of the card, it just turns it's nose up at it.
Could it be the card reader?

200/2.8L prime:

Faster, perhaps a wee bit sharper.

70-200/4L:

Sharp, slower, more flexible.

If you want to go photographing at 200mm, I think the 200/2.8L would work best, if you want the ability to capture different fields of view without walking (ie. zoom), then the 70-200/4L would obviously be the better deal.

:)

it aint cheaper in here at least.. when talking about new gear
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L 630.90 ? and
Canon EF 200mm /2.8L II USM 841.90 ?
but 4L with IS is another story...
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 1211.90 ?

Im talking about getting the 4L without the IS and used ofc with these prices.
1 year old lens with tripod ring (is this the right term?) and UV filter for 500

Can anybody help me with my wireless flash triggering?
I bought a Metz 48, and I'd like to get it to fire in slave mode. But I can't figure out how to set it up!

My camera is Nikon D50. Any thoughts? I have almost no experience with flash guns! But that didn't stop me from buying, gotta start somehow :D

The D50 is not CLS-capable. To use the flash wirelessly, you need to, from cheapest to most expensive, buy either...

• some cheap Chinese triggers on eBay (unreliable, but OK for just playing around)
  • a TTL cord (this is 100% reliable, but limits you to the length of the cord)
  • a better wireless flash system like Alienbees Cybersyncs (100% reliable in my experience)
  • a flash that has a commander mode
  • a Nikon SU-800 wireless commander

Apparently, there are some new Chinese wireless triggers coming out soon that will do TTL metering.

Last edited:
Reactions: 47
it aint cheaper in here at least.. when talking about new gear
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L 630.90 ? and
Canon EF 200mm /2.8L II USM 841.90 ?
but 4L with IS is another story...
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 1211.90 ?

Im talking about getting the 4L without the IS and used ofc with these prices.
1 year old lens with tripod ring (is this the right term?) and UV filter for 500

Once you look at 4l IS you start looking at 70-200 2.8L non-IS as it's a similar "small" jump...

I'm restricting myself to the prime and f4 non IS as otherwise I know my budget (which is based on not so existant money) will continue to expand.

Question about composition.

I recently posted this image in Lens flair:
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2009/12/24/IMG_0060_000.png

I changed it a bit since someone outside of FG said that the horizon shouldn't be in the center. I also applied the rule of thirds and came up with this cropped version:

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2009/12/26/IMG_0060_copy2.png

So is that crop better than the original or have I messed things up? Do you have to follow those rules of compo in almost all situations?

Secondly, I posted this latest image in Lens Flair:

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2009/12/25/IMG_0234_copy.png

The fence is there to prevent accidental deaths and suicides (I'm assuming), but I'm sure there must be a way to get rid of it. I tried moving the camera closer and closer and this was the best I could do. Is it better to just find another location (with no obstructions) or are there some settings and tweaks you can do on the camera to get that fence more blurred out?

Last edited:
^ I liked the second, cropped one better.
About the fence, did you shoot with the aperture wide open? Increasing it might blur it more.

I shot it at F16 for 30 seconds. So you're saying if I shot it at F22 (for example) I would have gotten a more blurred out fence?