Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Considering that my stepdad's boat can do 61 knots easily, that should "knot" be a problem.

Well, got official word from my company that my office is closing. I can either choose to follow the work when it goes to Nashville, or I can quit and take the severance package I was offered - about $45,000 USD. I think I'm going to take the buyout and move back home to New Hampshire. But my Geo won't make it. Or rather, I won't make it driving 3000 miles with no cruise control. So I need some new wheels.

[Sensible mode]

Save the money and live off it whilst looking for a new job?

Thats what I'd do. Or if I have enough cashflow invest it somewhere to make more money.

[/Sensible mode]

Well, I wouldn't spend all of it. I can find a halfway decent Mustang for around $15K. And I am eligible for unemployment, so I'd have that to live off of.

Well, I wouldn't spend all of it. I can find a halfway decent Mustang for around $15K. And I am eligible for unemployment, so I'd have that to live off of.

CA unemployment? You do know that they're so far in the hole they often have to send out IOUs instead of checks now, right? Don't count on getting anything negotiable from them.

The CV is probably your best bet for bang for the buck. Get a detective or supervisor's car and you'll usually find it wasn't beat on, unlike a patrol car. Can get them for $1000 or less, and they're all but immune to tickets.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't spend all of it. I can find a halfway decent Mustang for around $15K. And I am eligible for unemployment, so
I'd have that to live off of.

Don't forget to factor in the running costs and insurance.

I have the mustang on my "things I would like to replace the bug with" list but spectre is probably right that in your financial situation a CV would probably be the better choice.

The CV is probably your best bet for bang for the buck. Get a detective or supervisor's car and you'll usually find it wasn't beat on, unlike a patrol car. Can get them for $1000 or less, and they're all but immune to tickets.

Yeah, I've seen some clean 2003+ Crown Vics with under 100K miles for sale at dealerships with the all important "P71" on the VIN for about $5-6K. That's retail, of course.

Do you plan on invading Ukania?

Well yeah...... obviously, but not in that thing, it's a convertible! :razz:

*might be a few other things wrong with it*

silly question, maybe some Yurops can give me some insight here (cars aren't so meticulously specced in the US of Fuck yeah)

When speccing a car, given you have chosen the make/model/engine you like, and you have the following

- satnav
- decent stereo wth aux in or USB hole
- leather seats
- blue teeth

What possibly could you want more as a 'must have'???

I was speccing this car for a customer of mine, and the options list was as long as my arm. I simply cannot fathom why anyone would want anything more than the above.... I'd even drop the leather and blue teeth because cloth seats are fine, and I don't call alot in the car....

Yet here's this guy who cannot live without electric heated, cooled, massaged seats, a HUD, Wifi in the car, etc
Am I too 'normal' or do I make some sense?

Are there other "essentials" that I'm forgetting?

Most of those things I would rather NOT have in the car, heated seats are probably the worst and I would go as far as saying that would be a deal breaker and I would not buy a car because it had that... Cooled seats would be nice but all I really want on that list is a decent stereo with an aux port.

You can just not turn on the heated seats if you don't like them. They don't have any effect when switched off :dunno:

Personally I don't need a lot of luxury options (A/C and heat is a must, power windows/locks are nice) but I can appreciate a car that has them. And don't worry, we get extensive options lists in Fuck Yeah, we just don't have as many luxury options on small cars.

The problem is in a lot of cars, like mom's outback for example, they put them right next to the shifter close enough that I have on more than one occasion hit it by accident and turned it on. :|

http://img831.imageshack.**/img831/6192/sapporocontrols.jpg

Not easy to hit by accident. Also, very comfortable when you sit into a cold (not necessarily sub-zero) car.

BTW, note aux port :p

Must just be your mom's outback. Driven alot of cars with heated seats and I have never been remotly close to accidently switching them on