Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Oh god...I really don't like the look of the Volvo S40, but I found one at a dealer - 2005 model, T5 AWD, 6 speed manual, 60k miles and they are asking $10,000 for it. I'm very tempted.

Maybe it's this forum, or maybe it's the car I saw at the office the other day, but I really want a V70 wagon. I don't even care what engine/trans, I just want one that still runs and wasn't used in a demo derby.

Speaking of Toyotas, mum informs me she's interested in a late model RAV4 so the brother can lug his stuff around. I know bollocks about them, all I know is that his stuff will fit, easily. I think she needs to look at other small SUV type things. She's already looked at a Kluger and declared it 'too big' - which is true, one wouldn't actually fit under our stupidly low garage roller door. :lol: It's also a bit too expensive for something that's going to be scratched and dinged up by having a drum kit and amps dragged in and out of it all the time.

I personally think she should just let him save up for his own heap of junk eg: old Magna or something, and she should get something decent for herself. But, since when are parents going to listen to their 'kids'? :wall:

I second your idea, thats what most people do around here. I paid 800 bucks for my car (yeah, go on...say i paid too much...:p) and I think that, although being an enthusiast I'd take care of a car regardless, I've taken better care of my car because I'm personally invested in it..

That said, which Kluger was she looking at...the first gen or the current generation? I'm shocked that a first gen Highlander (what they're known as here) would be "too big"...

Rav4...the only thing the current Rav4 has going for it is power with the 3.5L V6, and possibly (very cramped) seating for 7 if you get the long wheelbase model we do. As Hbriz said, the interior is shitty, the swing gate's a PITA, and it's not terribly engaging to drive.

Look at Sportage, CR-V and Forester. Even the last generation Sportage is a very nice CUV, my parents had a LX V6 and loved it. Also take a look at Rondo/Carens:

2007-kia-rondo-front-view.jpg

They aren't the prettiest MPV's at the fair (I actually think it's a nice looking car) but they're practical, very refined to drive, and pretty reliable. I should add that the looks might "inspire" your bro to get his own wheels too! ;) :)

Last edited:
Maybe it's this forum, or maybe it's the car I saw at the office the other day, but I really want a V70 wagon. I don't even care what engine/trans, I just want one that still runs and wasn't used in a demo derby.

Don't worry, that's just a sign of approaching sanity. V70s are lovely.

That said, which Kluger was she looking at...the first gen or the current generation? I'm shocked that a first gen Highlander (what they're known as here) would be "too big"...

Current shape. 'Too big' means both 'too big for their needs' and too pricey for the range being looked at. It also means 'probably won't fit under the roller door' - my Jazz's roof aerial used to bump it before I realised I could fold it down a little so it would pass underneath more easily :lol: With the area we live in, you really want to lock your vehicles behind a door if possible. Or you might just find your your tyres / rims missing even though the car was parked in your driveway and you were home at the time, just like our poor neighbours.

Rav4...the only thing the current Rav4 has going for it is power with the 3.5L V6, and possibly (very cramped) seating for 7 if you get the long wheelbase model we do. As Hbriz said, the interior is shitty, the swing gate's a PITA, and it's not terribly engaging to drive.

They have no need for 7 seats (I'm not even sure we can get a 7 seat RAV4 here, just a choice in the current shape between AWD and FWD). It's mostly just going to be either mum driving it, or my brother + his equipment. So I'm trying to get her to look at larger conventional estates / wagons as well. (Looked at an Astra and Corolla wagon = clearly not big enough). The slightly-used RAV4's in mum's up to 30k AUD price-range are all 4cyl as well.

Look at Sportage, CR-V and Forester. Even the last generation Sportage is a very nice CUV, my parents had a LX V6 and loved it. Also take a look at Rondo/Carens

Those are the next on the list to have a peek at, but Rondo/Carens is unlikely as they're not after an MPV type thing.

If your brother has a license and is going to abuse the car he really should get his own.

I agree with this entirely, but as it seems in many families, the youngest gets everything, even if they blow all their money on cigs and booze and so they can't afford to even run a shit-heap. :wall: I saved up from the age of 12 to get my first car, because I didn't want to be tooling around in a 90's Excel or Lanos like many other young female drivers. :lol:

Last edited:

You're a lot more mature than I was at your age. I didn't really start thinking seriously about Volvo wagons until I was in my 40s. And I would get one next month if they didn't require premium fuel.

The Failturn lives up to it's name. Left me stranded at work 15 min ago by not turning over, not even cranking. All electrical accessories were off save for the wipers (whoops) and my car charger was unplugged like always. In any case, after again failing to be jumpstarted successfully (really...this is the third time jumpstarting it with 3 different helpers and nothing happens..wtf!?!) I had to bum a ride off my shift supervisor...damn thing. He suggested starter but idk.

I will say that for as much shit Toyota gets for making car's with cheap and nasty interiors these days, the 06 Corolla I rode in pretty much ensured I'd put it on my list of cars to consider list:

LE-cockpit.jpg

It rode comfortably, the seating position was high, (Felt odd since the Saturn seats are pretty much on the ground...) the electroluminescent gauge cluster was attractive and besides the fitment of the glovebox door, fit and finish was excellent.

Ugh I hate faux wood.

Ugh I hate faux wood.

I don't mind faux wood, it's better than the whole "let's paint a panel silver so it looks cool" thing

Still looks like crap. This is how to make a good looking, but cheap interior.

m5lp_0204_05_z+SN95_ford_mustang_cobras+98_interior.jpg

Still looks like crap. This is how to make a good looking, but cheap interior.

m5lp_0204_05_z+SN95_ford_mustang_cobras+98_interior.jpg

GAH my eyes..the darkness it burns...:p All black interiors just look painfully cheap, even with leather...-_-

Meh, ignore the retarded after market seats, but the two tones doesn't look bad either:

1996_00021_06.jpg

Can someone post the link to the oil comparison chart again? I've lost the link and my searching has failed me.

car talk was on this morning. someone managed to replace her transmission fluid with motor oil :blink:

The last owner of my Dad's Disco filled the brake lines with ATF. Good work them