Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

That is exactly why it's in there. U-Haul was a collateral lawsuit casualty of the Firestone debacle and they have no interest in ever being so again.

That said, avoid U-Haul as they have the worst equipment in the industry and many of their trucks cannot pass a basic safety inspection. I had one of their trailers have a brake failure that cost me an XJ6 I was trailering home and cost U-haul repairs on their truck I was hauling it with.

Do you have other recommendations for trailer rentals? Ryder comes to mind but I can't think of any others. I was looking to trailer my Mustang in the next few weeks to a buddy's place to replace the shock towers. I was looking at their full vehicle trailers for $60/day. Like this one here.

img_0315.jpg

Last edited:
NationsRents and SunBelt offer rental trailers for vehicles and other equipment that are quite a lot sturdier and often cheaper, if you're looking at an around-town rental. Also try Penske and Budget.

I'd be more inclined to find a local equipment/machinery rental place. At least around here the local ones keep better care of their stuff then the big chains and they're generally cheaper.

The big chains ran most of the little ones out of business, in general.

I haven't ever had any issues with U-haul trucks. my family has rented their trucks multiple times without issue. sure, they weren't terribly clean or loaed with features, but that's part of the experience.

U-Haul trucks tend to do nasty things like catch fire (Seriously. In the space of 10 minutes one day, I saw one on a tow truck, one dead on the side of the road, and one on fire in the median strip) - but their trailers are actually okay if you don't have extensive need for one. Once you need one for 2-3 days, though, it's actually cheaper to just go fucking buy a used car trailer

Wife is looking for a small, cheap car to replace her Volvo 360 ( "I refuse to drive another winter in that bloody tank!" ) and have found a Nissan Micra from 1998. Besides being made of tin foil and licourice, is there any other well-known downsides to that car? It stands between the Micra and a Ford Ka.

Dear owner of a Peugeot 206,

The fucking stickers.
Yours,

the guy with the boring Audi and the crappy camera-phone.
I saw a honda the other day coated both sides with stickers. Also got some laughs from the massive spoiler on the FWD car.

Me and my dad went around some rental places today and ended up renting a minivan from U-Save for our trip to the cottage in about a week or so. Sadly, we didn't get a choice of car, so it's either the God awful Dodge Grand Caravan, or the brilliant Ford Flex.

Oh, and prices have soared since last year. Cost us $450 to rent last year, now it was nearly $700. Moreover, this $700 option was the cheapest one we could find, and another place would've charged us over $1000.

Last edited:
Me and my dad went around some rental places today and ended up renting a minivan from U-Save for our trip to the cottage in about a week or so. Sadly, we didn't get a choice of car, so it's either the God awful Dodge Grand Caravan, or the brilliant Ford Flex.

Sound's like a choice there to me! :p In any case, the DGC isn't horrible, it's biggest weak spot is the god awful interior. It does have more cargo room than the Flex I'd wager.

Driving after work, I saw a BRG XK convertible. It was really nice...and then I saw the driver...mid-20's brunette chick. Gorgeous.

I nearly crashed.

Sound's like a choice there to me! :p In any case, the DGC isn't horrible, it's biggest weak spot is the god awful interior. It does have more cargo room than the Flex I'd wager.

It has got more cargo room, but we had a GC last year, and the interior was horrible, 3rd row legroom was non-existant (And I'm not usually even picky about legroom), and it had technical issues three times within 1 week (Electricals wouldn't work + the keyless entry thing wouldn't work twice). We're willing to sacrifice plenty of cargo room to fix those issues.

A friend and I were mucking around a Flex last year when we found the button that automatically flips up the rear seats. You have to slam them down like you want to kill them to get them to latch back down.

Wife is looking for a small, cheap car to replace her Volvo 360 ( "I refuse to drive another winter in that bloody tank!" ) and have found a Nissan Micra from 1998. Besides being made of tin foil and licourice, is there any other well-known downsides to that car? It stands between the Micra and a Ford Ka.

Why doesnt she want a Lada? Other contenders slightly more safe, Corsa, Polo/Ibiza.

Why doesnt she want a Lada? Other contenders slightly more safe, Corsa, Polo/Ibiza.

I did mention "Lada" once and i almost had to sleep on the couch. :D The reason why she looked at these two cars are the prize, both are taxed and MOT'd and owners have to get rid of them quick. The price for the Micra was ?500.

Complaint time!
Subject: dad's Audi.
Problem: seatbelt sensors
situation: driving to the cottage with the family dog, dog gets uncomfortable in the back so I invite him up front where he can easily rest his head on the windowsill to sleep. Except every time he shuffled around the damn seatbelt undone alarm comes on and proceeds to annoy me and wake up the lil' guy. Unnecessary safety precaution!