Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Does Finland utilize a similar election system as the United Kingdom? In other words, voting over single seats?

Country is divided to districts which are given a number of seats according to population. MPs for each district is then selected with d'Hondt method.

Famous Norwegian Politicians (Quisling with two wives no less!) with their two German mates.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101III-Moebius-029-12%2C_Norwegen%2C_Besuch_Himmler%2C_Terboven_und_Quisling.jpg
Why?

:p

Quisling was an interesting guy. Traitor, with a deep sense of national pride. However, his party never, EVER gained more votes than about 2 % in a popular election. At the height of Nasjonal Samlings popularity in 1943, they had about 44 000 members. That's about 1.4 % of the population in 1945.

Country is divided to districts which are given a number of seats according to population. MPs for each district is then selected with d'Hondt method.

Hells teeth - that is complex!
Indeed.

I was just looking at the picture and thinking how much those 4 look like they love a good joke and laugh. They seem to be surrounded by a bunch of very jovial mates. ...

There was a rumour that there was a plot to assinate who so ever was appointed to the equivalent job as Quisling should Ukania be invaded.

That was to be done by a special unit of the army that would hide until the time came. Point being that who ever did that would have deserved it - may be Edward VIII would have come back? (NB well known mate of Nazis).

I like the idea of a liberal conservative party. Or other mixes of social and economic party stances.

I was just looking at the picture and thinking how much those 4 look like they love a good joke and laugh. They seem to be surrounded by a bunch of very jovial mates. ...
Your bog standard CoE minister anno 1940 were probably more jovial. Quisling was a very conservative and dour man. Terboven wasn't any more loose. And von Falkenhorst was a Wehrmacht General. Of the old order.

There was a rumour that there was a plot to assinate who so ever was appointed to the equivalent job as Quisling should Ukania be invaded.

That was to be done by a special unit of the army that would hide until the time came. Point being that who ever did that would have deserved it - may be Edward VIII would have come back? (NB well known mate of Nazis).
There were lists of assasination targets made up in case of invation. Certain individuals would be assasinated by specially selected, specially trained groups of the home guard. They were one of the most secret assets of the British military. They were trained as commandos, and were armed to the teeth. They had standing orders to assasinate people in their community, people known to be unreliable.

There were also instructions to assasinate people they observed being colaborators. Some living members of this force say they would have shot civilians who just conversed with the Germans.

There would be units like this scattered all over the United Kingdom. And no one knew who they were. If there was an opertunity to kill someone who stepped in as a nazi head of state, a figure head, like Quisling, they would have taken him out.

As for the Duke of Windsor, he was safely tucked away in Portugal at the time of the invation scare. At the slightest sign of invation, I'm quite sure they would have moved the plans to make him Governor of the Bahamas forward. Alas, in August, he was moved there, to keep him quiet and out of the way.

The Windsors, particularily mrs. Simpson, had much in common with the nazis. From what I've been able to gather, they were both fond of the basic ideology, the way it seemingly brought back German strength. They thought it was a good system of government.

But I don't think the Duke of Windsor were that much of a traitor. I don't think he'd step in as a pretend Head of State. You can never know, though. The Duke of Windsor was a very naive man with a lesser intellect.

I like the idea of a liberal conservative party. Or other mixes of social and economic party stances.
It's quite common. Most US conservatives are economical liberalists and social conservatives.

My bark is worse than my bite :D
Tell that to your neighbours to the East.

^
The assassins from the Home Guard were known as "the Scallywags".

In a repeat of E03 of the "G Series" of QI yesterday, the story was told again on Dave TV.

QI The "G Series"

QI Wiki said:
During World War II, the "Scallywags" were a secret unit of the Home Guard. The word "scallywag" actually referred to them being assassins: they were trained in assassination techniques in case of a German invasion of Britain. They were to be a guerilla force, who weren't mainstream military, including clergymen and doctors, who were secretly given training, money, supply dumps, ammunition, and a gallon of rum. Their job was to kill Germans and also make sure that Winston Churchill wasn't removed, as it was believed that someone like Lord Halifax might try to take over. Amongst the "Scallywags" were Michael Foot, George Orwell and J. B. Priestley. They were trained to kill anyone who collaborated with the Nazis. Foot once said that he'd have killed Lord Halifax. They only had 2 weeks worth of food rations, as it was believed they wouldn't survive any longer, as they were basically terrorist suicide squads. Their motto was "Terror By Night".

I knew of the unit and its function, but was unaware that Foot, Orwell and Priestley were part of it.

BBC News - AV referendum: Political foes share platforms
In other news, over the weekend I definitely decided both to vote and for what, in the AV referendum on May 5th.

I just can't remember what I'd decided, it was definitely either Yes or No. :p

When did Utah start requiring that?

A few years ago they started requiring bars and clubs to scan the IDs of everyone entering. The database must be made available to any law enforcement officer on demand - no need for a warrant.

A few years ago they started requiring bars and clubs to scan the IDs of everyone entering. The database must be made available to any law enforcement officer on demand - no need for a warrant.

Good thing I don't drink much. I would stop going to bars if I did and that was required here.

I give them my CFP which has no barcode or mag stripe. State issued picture ID, bitches!

There wasn't soft left in the 20s and 30s. Sweden and Finland nearly had a war over ?land Islands, but League of Nations did it's only succesfull mandate and gave them to us. Sweden, you can have those now, were tired of them.
Noo can't do that, need them to have someplace to stop to buy cheap alcohol!

Too bad you can't.
Can't walk around with a swastika, or completely naked either. Completely fair, freedom is not unlimited. Same restrictions should be put on burkas and niqabs. Wear headscarfes all you want.

France, the champion of liberty, and Belgium have shown the way, and we should follow.

Last edited:
Can't walk around with a swastika, or completely naked either. Completely fair, freedom is not unlimited. Same restrictions should be put on burkas and niqabs. Wear headscarfes all you want.
Sadly, that is true. Freedom of expression is total, or it is not freedom of expression. If you want to walk around naked, I am completely fine with that. You want to wear a swastika, I am fine with that too. And that's despite my grandfather being a consentration camp prisoner for three years.

France, the champion of liberty, and Belgium have shown the way, and we should follow.
Liberty? Are you fucking kidding me? They are the champion of sweaping problems under the rug, of promoting autoritarianism, of endangering complete societies and the freedom and liberty nations like France is founded on. In the 40s and 50s, it was niggers. In the 60s, 70s and 80s, it was arabs. And now it's muslims. They recieve the same disrespect and fowl treatment as other groups before them, the only thing that's changed is the recipiant of this treatment.

It is ripe across Europe, and it sickens me to the core.

This brings me back to freedom of expression. I hate this culture of stigmas and moralism. But I won't ban it. It is the right of every citizen to think he is right to strike jokes about stupid muslimen who live in 1350, fuck camels and blows himself up in the debate section of every newspaper in Europe. And it is also his right to say it loudly.

It's stupid, and I don't like it. But I wouldn't ever think of legislating common sense.

/Rant

Yes, I will agree with you on one thing there, when I went to France they were right up themselves with all this Eligalet?, Fraternit? and Libert?, I though it a load of balls.

Enjoy that Democracy: