Random Thoughts....

How difficult is Italian to pick up when you have no experience whatsoever? I need to take some foreign language credits and I'm interested in pursuing Italian.

Why not take Spanish? It's an asset when applying for a job in this country.

If you live in the US learning Spanish is probably going to be a requirement the way things are going. :glare:

If you live in the US learning Spanish is probably going to be a requirement the way things are going. :glare:

Yeah, but Spanish and Mexican are two different things. I speak Spanish. I can't understand a word of what all the Mexicans around here say. It's not Spanish, whatever it is. I know people around here from Spain and South America and I understand them just fine. The Mexicans? Forget about it.

Why not take Spanish? It's an asset when applying for a job in this country.

AND... It's very similar to Italian in some ways.

I think I may be one of the only Americans that actually likes the idea of being a bilingual society.

Yeah, but Spanish and Mexican are two different things. I speak Spanish. I can't understand a word of what all the Mexicans around here say. It's not Spanish, whatever it is. I know people around here from Spain and South America and I understand them just fine. The Mexicans? Forget about it.

True. Sort of like American and English.

I think I may be one of the only Americans that actually likes the idea of being a bilingual society.

It's overrated.

I guess I don't have anything against being a bilingual society, it's just the reason for the change to be necessary that I don't like. It seems to me that we're catering to illegal aliens by displaying their language beside ours. That makes things easier for them and encourages more to come in.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely positively nothing against legal immigrants and I treat all foreigners I come across as such. If you want to live in our country I'm very happy to have you here. Just do it through legal means please.

Urgh just found out i gotta do a family thing in the middle of fucking nowhere, i'll be gone for a few days probably without 'tubes. They don't tend to have internet in hotels in total shitholes.

Is that because of the accent, style, pace or something else? I'm taking Spanish 101 right now and am curious to know what the differences are.