Ownership Verified: Resistance was futile! My 1988 BMW 5er

So, I took some pics of the spots of body damage:

Also, while I was there checking if it got hot while idling and not moving I took a quick video (Note the temp while seeing the in-car shots)

You know I approve. Also you know I'd kinda want one too :p.

And oh my that looks like its 10 years newer than the one I checked out for you.

Nice one!

And a manual!
:thumbsup:

Okay, so an update on the heating problem:
DaBoom advised me the fan clutch doesn't engage until after the 3rd line - this appears to be true and the car doesn't go beyond that line. I also decided to play with the heater, I turned it on and the temp of the car went down very quickly... The issue is, I cannot feel the hot air, only air - I believe though this is as a result of the temperature being 32? outside and the car has been in the sun for the whole day pretty much so it is like 50? in there. I need a cold day to test this :)

The coolant fluid level is what I would call okay so I will keep an eye on it. I will still be replacing this, but after ringmeet along with the oil and filter.

Last edited:
Okay, so I have cleaned up the steering wheel using a magic sponge, some water and a tea-towel for drying
Before:

After:

The picture isn't great, but you can see it isn't shiny any more! I did the same with the gear knob but failed to get pictures.

This is the current state of the toolbox:

And this little bastard is the reason it is hanging down:

Also done today was a zip tie that was bothering me because it had crushed a tube, I snipped the old zip tie off but the cable is permanently crushed - I replaced the zip tie with two, one going around the coolant hose and one going around the tube connected the the coolant hose. No 'after' pic, but here is before, note the circle:

Went for a drive today to checkout an open-air museum and a place near that where they have found remains dating back to Neanderthals - Also saw the start of the longest aqueduct in Europe at 111kms!

On the way back, I got a clear run on the autobahn and achieved this:
05r3xrb.png

Why am I all of a sudden reminded of top gear episode with the guys tested the top speed of 3 cars on the autobahn? :think:

248km/h? - The top speed of the 211hp 535i is rated at 227km/h. - Is your car chipped?

And manufacturers often claim pretty conservative numbers. Most cars I've vmaxed have gone beyond the claimed figure, but it has taken a lot of time to achieve the last 5% of the top speed. Might be that manufacturers rate the 95% or so of the top speed, because that's easily achievable. The last few percents takes 70% of the time.

Also, aerodynamic resistance is by far the biggest factor at 200km/h and beyond, so 5m/s of tailwind gives you reduced resistance of 18km/h :)

248km/h? - The top speed of the 211hp 535i is rated at 227km/h. - Is your car chipped?

According to the T?V documents, the top speed is 235kmph.

And manufacturers often claim pretty conservative numbers. Most cars I've vmaxed have gone beyond the claimed figure, but it has taken a lot of time to achieve the last 5% of the top speed. Might be that manufacturers rate the 95% or so of the top speed, because that's easily achievable. The last few percents takes 70% of the time.

Also, aerodynamic resistance is by far the biggest factor at 200km/h and beyond, so 5m/s of tailwind gives you reduced resistance of 18km/h :)

There wasn't really any wind on this day, but it was a slight downhill for parts of it :)

this car is a god damn experience!! holy shit guys, thank you all for that :lol:

this car is a god damn experience!! holy shit guys, thank you all for that :lol:

I tried to explain to my GF how funny it all was and she didn't laugh at all, apparently the lights not coming back on is not funny! Hahaha

come on guys, the lights not coming back on? thats simply hilarious! also clapping along is the only way to properly enjoy your music.

god damn gypsy jazz car chase music!!! :rofl: