From the Archives: BMW's little know 767 project.

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/10/16/bmw_v16_2.jpg

Code named "Goldfish," the 767 ? with an impressive 6.7-litre V16 engine ? could have made BMW's greatest dream to utterly dominate Mercedes come true.

The Bavarian manufacturer needs no introduction. Its reputation is far too strong. Be it the least expensive 1 Series or a fully loaded 760, every BMW oozes of Freude am Fahren.

And that's just swell, until people start making the comparison with Mercedes. These two have been at it for a long time now, but BMW hasn't been able to take the crown for good from its Stuttgart-based nemesis. Sure, most people admit that Bayrische cars tend to be sportier, but when the subject changes to luxury and prestige the Merc always comes out on top.

Dreamt up in the late eighties by Dr. Karlhienz Lange and two colleagues, the 767 was a concept car based on the then-fresh E32 750i/750iL. And while there was nothing wrong with the 300 hp 5-litre V12 (M70), the new engine simply blew it out of the water.

Such was the enthusiasm of its creators that the first prototype V16 was up and running on a dynamometer just 6 months after the initial idea.

Cast in high silicone aluminum, the V16 was, in fact, the aforementioned M70 mill with 4 extra cylinders, fancier Bosch DME 3.3 engine management (that treated it as two separate in-line eights) and a boot-mounted cooling system, due to the fact that it was 12 inches longer than the donor engine. Despite this extra bulk, it only weighed 60 kg more, while the power got upped to 408 hp and 461 lb-ft (from 332).

It was no surprise that it could hit 62 in just 6 seconds and reach a top speed of 175 mph.

It beats me why this car was never given the green light. Some say it could have been the lousy fuel economy. I say it's a damn shame that it only got to be a well kept secret.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/10/16/bmw_v16_4.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/10/16/bmw_v16_3.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/10/16/bmw_v16_5.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/10/16/bmw_v16.jpg

That thing is pure awesome! I would totally rock a BMW sedan with a huge V16.

Dear BMW, drop whatever you are doing, especialy if it has hybrid/eco/blue/what-the-fuck-ever badges on it, start building these, sure you still have the molds and toolings somewhere.

Retro badass shovemobile with a V16.....what's not to like?

With a boot taken up by the cooling system I'm not sure it would've ever sold well.

Dear BMW, drop whatever you are doing, especialy if it has hybrid/eco/blue/what-the-fuck-ever badges on it, start building these, sure you still have the molds and toolings somewhere.

Retro badass shovemobile with a V16.....what's not to like?

I'll take mine in Black/Tan

400kph super saloon, yes please.
You might want to re-read the OP...

To be honest, I think its a silly idea. There is no reason why any car should have 16 cylinders, its just excessive and totally unnecessary, especially in the large executive barge that is the 7-series. Plus the power numbers are just hilariously low for an engine of that size, even by 80s standards.

There is no reason why any car should have 16 cylinders, its just excessive and totally unnecessary

Nonsense - just for the sake of having 16 cylinders, it's a fantastic idea, ESPESCIALLY in a car like the 7-series.

All joking aside I do understand your point - rationally speaking it doesn't make much sense, if any....however the child in me has enough say in this to change my opinion from "excessively useless" to "fantastically awesome". I mean come on....these days just saying "I've got a V8" send shivers down the spine of every Corolla driving lemming out there, V12 is even better but oh the joy I would get just from the simple task of answering the question "So what kind of an engine does this thing have?".

Yes it's childish and stupid and immature but then again big luxury sedans from Germany have never been what you would call the epitome of sense and low key. I mean surely nobody reeeeeally needs a 760iL when the 730d would be plenty to biff around the city between board member meetings. And just look at what I drive and then try to tell me a 16 cylinder getoutofmywaypoorperson-mobile doesn't make sense :mrgreen:

This thing is officially awesome and the world would be a tiny bit better if they would've sold it.

With a boot taken up by the cooling system I'm not sure it would've ever sold well.

In the article they mentioned that was only done so they could shove the engine in there for the prototype. The engine bay would have been redesigned if it went into production.

In the article they mentioned that was only done so they could shove the engine in there for the prototype. The engine bay would have been redesigned if it went into production.

They failed to do that with V12 cars, they had massive cooling system problems. I think Spectre owned one with that very problem.

They failed to do that with V12 cars, they had massive cooling system problems. I think Spectre owned one with that very problem.

So for the V16 one, they'd make the engine bay just big enough for the V12.

Not to mention that even their production V12 from the E32 era really wasn't ready for prime time. Witness my E32 V12 - one of my top ten reasons I will probably never buy another BMW.

Especially fun was what would happen when the two throttle by wire throttles would get desynchronized. Which was often.

You might want to re-read the OP...

To be honest, I think its a silly idea. There is no reason why any car should have 16 cylinders, its just excessive and totally unnecessary, especially in the large executive barge that is the 7-series. Plus the power numbers are just hilariously low for an engine of that size, even by 80s standards.

I was referring to if they built it today.

Last edited:
16 cylinders is awesome, however the power output is very lousy if you ask me. At the same time, Lambo had their measly 5.2 V12 develop 455hp. Surely a 6.7 V16 should better these numbers.

This one produced 1,000hp.

cadillac_sixteen_detroit_03_pc_02.jpg

Fuck a boot, I'lL put my stuff on the backseat, It has a V16.......