Roush P-51A Mustang Girds for Battle With "Foreign Brands"

RUU-CHAMA

Car(s)
Mazda6
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=123236

2007 SEMA Show: Roush P-51A Mustang Girds for Battle With "Foreign Brands"

LAS VEGAS ? Roush used the occasion of the 2007 SEMA Show to take the wraps off its 510-horsepower P-51A Mustang, which the Ford tuner proclaims "will help to save the streets from the invasion of the foreign brands."

It's hard not to chuckle at that remark, since Ford owns Jaguar, Volvo and Land Rover and has a controlling interest in Mazda. Still, Roush's latest take on the Mustang is sure to stir patriotic fervor in anyone who has a sense of nostalgia for what some describe as the last "good war."

It's clear that this is a pet project for Jack Roush, a longtime aviation buff who owns personal P-51 fighters, including one that is painted as a replica of "Old Crow," flown during the war by Capt. Clarence E. "Bud" Anderson.

"This is the type of product that Roush has wanted to produce for at least 10 years but the right platform, the right technology and the right timing never intersected until now," Roush said in a statement.

Roush is a bit sketchy on all the details about the P-51A Mustang, saying it hasn't set the pricing yet and that the engine specifications are "preliminary." Roush said the P-51A Mustang "has a preliminary rating of at least 510 horsepower and 510 pound-feet of torque. It is anticipated that final figures may be even slightly higher than this when final testing and calibration is approved by the Roush engineering staff," it said.

The P-51A is noteworthy because it's the first time that internal engine components have been upgraded by Roush. Ford's 300-hp 4.6-liter V8 gets several rebuilt components, including a forged steel eight-bolt crankshaft, forged aluminum pistons with increased dish to lower the compression from 9:8 to 8:6, and forged steel H-Beam connecting rods. Roush said the upgraded engine parts are mandatory "to be able to withstand the additional power" from the latest version of the Roushcharger supercharger.

Exterior cues include a Roush aerobody kit that bundles a front fascia, chin spoiler, hood scoop and rear spoiler. The cabin gets Roush sport leather seating and custom floor mats, both with embroidered P-51A emblems.

Other details include 18-inch Roush forged five-spoke wheels, a Stage 3 suspension with specially engineered and tuned front struts, rear shocks, front and rear springs, front and rear sway bars, and jounce bumpers.

Roush spokesman John Clark told Inside Line, "We are shooting for the low-to-mid $60s" when it comes to pricing the new Mustang.

What this means to you: We sense Roush's P-51A Mustang is special even before we measure it against the competition.

roush.mustang.500.jpg

I'm eagerly awaiting the P-51D model with a Rolls-Royce V12 under the hood.

And they didn't even bother to get a real P-51A into the background of the picture, the ignoramii!

can i ask why some of these "automotive news" threads are being put into the general discussion area?

This is getting ridiculous! Soon they will have the Mustang Mustang model, complete with saddle, bit, a mane on the roof and a tail on the decklid.

JUST STOP!

I'm eagerly awaiting the P-51D model with a Rolls-Royce V12 under the hood.

And they didn't even bother to get a real P-51A into the background of the picture, the ignoramii!

Well, they've already built one with an Aston Martin V-12...but yeah, I know someone is going to try to shoehorn in a Rolls-Royce engine.

Well, they've already built one with an Aston Martin V-12...but yeah, I know someone is going to try to shoehorn in a Rolls-Royce engine.

the Aussies already did it with a '55 Chevy.
finalobjective3.jpg

I like the Roush Mustangs but how is this one different? It looks exactly the same!

Hmm if Roush do this can we have the
BMW 6 Series "BF109K"
AMG CLS "ME262"
BMW 335 "ME162 Komet"

Mitsubishi Zero "Zero"
:D

BMW 6 Series "BF109K"
AMG CLS "ME262"
BMW 335 "ME162 Komet"

Mitsubishi Zero "Zero"

Roush did this because Jack Roush is an avid collector of P-51D's. he has 2 in his Michigan hanger.

BMW 6 Series "BF109K"
AMG CLS "ME262"
BMW 335 "ME162 Komet"

Mitsubishi Zero "Zero"

Noble Spitfire
Yugo Yak-9

I'm not impressed with this car at all. It might have helped if they did a little more to make it look like a P-51. Where's the nose art and all the cool markings on the side? And having the horsepower displayed on the hood is probably the tackiest thing I've ever seen on a car, and I regularly browse the carbage thread. I'd much rather go one less and have a P-50. :)

BMW 6 Series "BF109K"
AMG CLS "ME262"
BMW 335 "ME162 Komet"
Your proposal has some historical incorrectnesses... :p

First of all the Bf 109 (or Me 109 as we used to know it) was powered by a DB 601 engine from Daimler-Benz (later the DB 605), so we should have a Merc 109.

BMW was engine supplyer for the Me 262 (together with Junkers) so there shouldn't be a Merc named after it.

And finally it is the Me 163.

Last edited:
Your proposal has some historical incorrectnesses... :p

First of all the Bf 109 (or Me 109 as we used to know it) was powered by a DB 601 engine from Daimler-Benz (later the DB 605), so we should have a Merc 109.

DB605/AS engine with Nitros-oxide (GM1) or just the normal one? :p

Only the prototype 262's used the BMW engines, didn't the production aircraft have the Junker Jumo 004? I think the BMW engine was used in a Heinkel....erm twin tails with the engine on top.

Mmmmm rocket motor from the Me163.....Hydrazine fuel and lots of other goodies....

EDIT:

He162 used the BMW turbojet engine

/plays too many fightsims
//Can talk about planes all day

I could too but I was just being quick about it and didn't think anyone else would notice :p

This is getting ridiculous! Soon they will have the Mustang Mustang model, complete with saddle, bit, a mane on the roof and a tail on the decklid.

JUST STOP!

Pretty soon the "Stock" Mustang will be considered a limited/special edition.